help! hb tornado or hpi rs4?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help! hb tornado or hpi rs4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

question is, could the HPI compete with the GTR4?

If you want the GTR4, the first hopup would be the front diff, if you want to race. As you said, you seem most interested in straight line speed, and since the GTR4 is the fastest of your choices out of box, it would be probably the best choice. The front solid axle also helps it be so fast, but it is detrimental to the cars cornering performance at the track...

your choice for priorities, but either way, w/ the yokomo, you shold get the front diff.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Im2lazy
question is, could the HPI compete with the GTR4?

If you want the GTR4, the first hopup would be the front diff, if you want to race. As you said, you seem most interested in straight line speed, and since the GTR4 is the fastest of your choices out of box, it would be probably the best choice. The front solid axle also helps it be so fast, but it is detrimental to the cars cornering performance at the track...

your choice for priorities, but either way, w/ the yokomo, you shold get the front diff.
I wouldn't recommend a front solid diff ( takes away a lott steering) I use to race one of the 1st generation Yokomo 2 years ago and was running on front and rear gear diffs. The only thing you would have to do is change the diff grease to match your driving style. The hard Yok grease works very well in parking lot racing. You just have to seal the diffs . I've tried the solid front diff and rear gear diff combo long before Yokomo came out with the kit that comes with the solid front diff. Base in my experience, I would recommend gear diffs all around for parking lot racing, and one-way/solid rear diff combo (WITH OVERDRIVE gears and tires) in high speed racetracks.

Last edited by TambokGT; 11-12-2002 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

i was reffering to the RTR version of the GTR4 which comes standard w/ a solid front axle.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

i was reffering to the RTR version of the GTR4 which comes standard w/ a solid front axle.
ok.....so . If you do go for a RTR version. You might want to go and get yourself a front diff gear then.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

i just got back from a hobbyshop. i asked him about the kyosho v-one r/rr, the tc3, and the gt-4. he didnt really help me. he just told me that "they are all good...it just depends on the driver...hahaha" his laugh annoyed me . but anyways, so he didnt help. he did say he thinks i should get a rtr just to learn the basics and then upgrade later. he said either the rtr tc3, the rtr gt-4, the rtr rs4, or the rtr hotbodies tornado. i dont know if i should follow what he says. im still liking the yokomo since it kicks ass outta the box, but im thinking the tc3 is good now. damn, this is so hard...its like buying a real car. lol. whats the best buy for a r/c car thats reliable, durable, fast, and just plain good?
Old 11-12-2002, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

I find that a strange move on yokomo's part, I guess its a money thing. 'Buy more of our parts', but it does make it easier for new guys to keep from spinning out and it makes the drive train lighter for better acceleration and top speed.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

I have raced the GT4 and the NTC3. ....cool thing about the NTC3 is its gearing selection. You can go lower and higher gearing than the Yok. The Yok however is a little bit durable. Both cars are race ready out of the box. It's really up to you.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

I find that a strange move on yokomo's part, I guess its a money thing. 'Buy more of our parts', but it does make it easier for new guys to keep from spinning out and it makes the drive train lighter for better acceleration and top speed.
Im2lazy:
Yes, I agree....it was strange of Yokomo to come out with that front solid diff combo... the front gear diff is more tunable. I tried everything from regular front and rear diffs, one way front and rear diffs, front solid diff and rear diffs, one-way and solid diff, front solid diff and rear solid diff( crazy...just had to try it during that time)

I didn't really experience more acceleration and top speed using the front solid diff though.

What car are you running by the way?
Old 11-12-2002, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the only draw back to the tc3 for a newbie is the ball diffs hell have to learn to maintain.....as far as durabilty,at my LHS,alot of first timers are buying the rtr tc3's(HPI"S have stopped selling,go figure ).....theuy all seem to like the car..'

'
I picked up a RTR yoke for a 100 bucks....it had about 3 tanks through it.....I put decent tires on it,witha stratus body...i thought it felt better than my HPI's....but not as balanced as my tc3's,,,,(or for that matter,the used reflex I picked up)
Old 11-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

I've not seen any of my friends need to maintain their ball diffs. I asked them and they said they hadn't touched them for as long as they have had them (several months).
Old 11-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fastharry
the only draw back to the tc3 for a newbie is the ball diffs hell have to learn to maintain.....as far as durabilty,at my LHS,alot of first timers are buying the rtr tc3's(HPI"S have stopped selling,go figure ).....theuy all seem to like the car..'

'
I picked up a RTR yoke for a 100 bucks....it had about 3 tanks through it.....I put decent tires on it,witha stratus body...i thought it felt better than my HPI's....but not as balanced as my tc3's,,,,(or for that matter,the used reflex I picked up)
I love NTC3s front and rear ball diffs....I admit it would be kindda hard to learn to maintain at first ...but it sure is better than messing with that gooey diff grease.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

TAMBOK.....long time no see..what are you racing these days?...
Old 11-12-2002, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

how come nobody's buying hpi's anymore? well, im looking towards the ntc3 now since you all are saying its pretty good, but im still looking at the gt4. i'll see some more. do you guys know anything about the hotbodies tornado? its the best deal out there at my LHS. he said its 260 for everything. all i need is gas, but im not too sure about it. he said hpi manufactures it with just a different name, but im kinda scared. if any of you know about it, tell me. its only been out a week or 2. im starting to like the ntc3.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

your just buying a rebadged neo.....why take the chance on parts availablity..or for that matter,who knows how long that car will be imported..plus you have the basic argument..shaft drive or belt..if you intent on a belt car,I can think of better choices than a Hot bodies...

at least you know with the tc3 what you're getting.....and the support that goes with it....

as far as HPI's lack of popularity?...its a ok car..but despite what HPI will have you believe..it is not competitive with the PRO style cars......under the least bit of racing conditions....

Last edited by fastharry™; 11-12-2002 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fastharry
TAMBOK.....long time no see..what are you racing these days?...
Dude.....I'm racing 1/8 scales now..... a 2001 Picco Integra
How about you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.