Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NIMH battery maitenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 01:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Default NIMH battery maitenance

HELP.... I have recently purchased 4 - 6 cell 3000 HV matched cells. I have assembled them into 6- 4 cell packs for 1/12 scale racing. 3 packs are for mod and 3 packs are for stock. Stock motor P2K2 or GM3, Mod Trinity 11 to 14 turn.
HOW & WHAT do I do to maintain the best performance and life fom these new cells. I use a Tekin B112C charger and D350 discharger. The charger has the H27 profile. I have been told I can use the "P" mode only as the other modes will overheat the cells before they cut off.
Normally the club racing is 1/12 mod , 3 or 4 times during the winter we will run stock & mod at special events.
I NEED TO KNOW.
CHARGE RATE. SHORT TERM STORAGE WEEK TO WEEK. LONG TERM STORAGE MONTH TO M0NTH OR LONGER. SHOULD PACKS BE CYCLED OR NOT. IS THE PROGRAM IN MY TEKIN UPGRADEABLE. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

OK, since I have just recently bought a new charger (two days ago) I was charging my 3000 HV's with the same charger you are with H27 software.

Here is what I have done.

I have charged at around 6.5 amps for punch in stock, but your requirements are different.

Charge LINEARE, no proflex, on P or P2 or CS....It doesn't make much difference when you do this......

Discharge the cells first at 20 amps to get them low, around 1 volt per cell. This way you know they are discharged.

Start charging and watch the mAh rating on the charger.
I have generally MANUALLY stoped charging when the pack becomes a little warm or at 2500 mah for stock and 2600-2700 for mod. This way they don't get overcharged which is the main enemy of NiMH. Also, they seem to have more punch this way because the internal resistance of the batteries don't go up, which is why the peak voltage rises. Since you need run time in 1/12 mod, try going with a 4 amp charge, but always bring the cells down first otherwise you don't really know how much they can take (mah).

For storage, don't discharge the cells after running, and if they are DEAD, give them about ten minutes of charge before storing.

Next time before you charge, bring them down as I have discussed.

You don't want to let the charger cut off automatically because it was really designed for NiCD so they will be getting a little overcharged. That is why you cut off manually>
Old 11-26-2002, 10:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help P.C. thats basically what I'm doing now. I think I see a new charger in my near future, something more nimh capable. Unfortunately I spent a lot of money on "TEKIN" before their melt down. Oh what to buy now ??????
Old 11-27-2002, 02:18 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Len is selling his Integy charger for a real good price. Talk to him about it. I use the same one and it works well. TTYL.

Gary