Old 03-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
RTR: Losi with all the good radio equip. 350.00
Lipo Batteries: 2 Orion 3200. 160.00
Charger: Duratrax ICE 125.00
Radio shack 13 amp power supply: 80.00
Tires are optional: 1 set 40.00 tops.
755.00. And I bet a sharper pencil can get it lower.

When I started 11 years ago it was 1000.00 and more, thats getting the cost down. My friends its where you race. And more importantly how you race.
Great input, UN4RACING. $800 for the series is a known cost....maybe a good point for the second series up. I'd liek to see series, for newbies, that was a bit less expensive...half that, if possible.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skiv
if you hit the wall its your own fault if you break it.maybe you need to slow down a bit so you dont hit it.

what about motorbike raceing real car racing fishing these are all expensive sports depending on what level you do it at.

like i said in a previous post you dont need top end gear to be competitive look at the 12th scale world champion he had 1 charger old discharger and some tools nuff said
Everything you do is your "own' fault. The best protection is to avoid risks. Lets not have potential new riders avoiding the "risks" of TC racing because it is too expensive.

Motorbike racing and "real car" racing is certainly more expensive.

I'd like to think RC racing is for kids who can't race in real motorsports and for people who can't afford the real thing. If we can bring those people into the sport...people with a genuine love of racing, but a limited budget, we will succeed.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Disaster
Great input, UN4RACING. $800 for the series is a known cost....maybe a good point for the second series up. I'd liek to see series, for newbies, that was a bit less expensive...half that, if possible.
Maubid4 can get that cost down. That quote is as close to my set up as possible. I have about 1500.00 to 1600.00 in my stuff. I like started with the most expensive stuff right off. Beginning is the hardest part. Get past that and most people find there own way. Its the dang start up that is intimidating. But as long as you get in and have fun without the work, and is simpler its all down hill. The hard part is just keeping it fun and don't get to serious right off. The best advise I can give is race for the fun of racing and later you can get into racing for the fun of the win.
Most cant help but to go fast and try not to crash.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Maubid4 can get that cost down. That quote is as close to my set up as possible. I have about 1500.00 to 1600.00 in my stuff. I like started with the most expensive stuff right off. Beginning is the hardest part. Get past that and most people find there own way. Its the dang start up that is intimidating. But as long as you get in and have fun without the work, and is simpler its all down hill. The hard part is just keeping it fun and don't get to serious right off. The best advise I can give is race for the fun of racing and later you can get into racing for the fun of the win.
Most cant help but to go fast and try not to crash.
A good cost effective class CAN be cheaper....say...

Tamiya mini or TT01 type class...$95 for the chassis WITH silvercan motor
Futaba 3PM FM radio with 2 S3003 servos....$119
Duratrax ICE....$130
Pyramid 20amp power supply...$60
1 Peak 3200 LiPo....$80
1 Duratrax intellispeed ESC...$25

That's $509...plus add a little extra for spares and tires and yep...$600.
Then if a person enjoys it and wants to move up...new chassis, ESC and servo..and you're on to Stock, everything else works fine at the next level. The Losi RTR is to much...it comes with either a 19T motor or a 4300 brushless. Both are to fast for someone just starting out. You'll only need the one LiPo for silvercan...I raced with mine all day without needing to recharge it in my mini today. You can even replace the charger, power supply and battery and you'd be looking...

Vision Peak charger....$40
3 Venom 3000mah packs....$60 ($20 a piece)

For a total of....$339...plus spares and tires...$400. Then if you want to move up to stock...you also would have to add the expense of new batteries, charger and a power supply. Money can be saved on a radio by using Ebay where I got my JR XS3 synthesized for $75...but I did the figures on new equipment. That's TRULY about the cheapest you can get into ANY form of R/C racing.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Lord

I know you do your home work. And I see your point on the Losi brushless and 19. But I think its purpose was meant for bashing around? I wonder why they put the fast stuff in there? With the 13.5 it would be a great enrty level car. Hopefully Losi will read this and maybe start selling them with the 13.5. Man that would be a good sedan entry level deal with the JR radio and brushless.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by muahdib4
A good cost effective class CAN be cheaper....say...

Duratrax ICE....$130
Pyramid 20amp power supply...$60
1 Peak 3200 LiPo....$80

That's $509...plus add a little extra for spares and tires and yep...$600.
Then if a person enjoys it and wants to move up...new chassis, ESC and servo..and you're on to Stock, everything else works fine at the next level....
Perfect, I think you two have got the spirit of it down.

Of course, with the actual series, you would only define the cost of the vehicle, not the charger or power supply. So the least expensive series might be....

$100 for car w/motor.
$120 for radio and servos.
$30 for ESC.
$80 for battery.
To hold down costs you'd also want to include the cost of wheels and tires....$30.
Also, you need to put a cost on the motors...because they are a wear item....$20.

That puts you at just under $400 for the economy series....not a daunting cost of entry.

Moving up to brushless could work fine with the suggested Losi, or a similar car (others will follow once the series is defined.) Add $250-300 for better chassis, brushless and improved radio. That would put you at $700 for the next faster "value" series.

From there you could decide if a cost definition is required on the next series or if that is the one that would go "unlimited." That series would bring out the $400 radios, $300 controllers, $150 motors, $500 chassis's....etc.

Last you'd need to decide if the manufacturers would race in the unlimited series or if you'd create a unique series for them.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

see i don`t see it as to expensive .you buy waht you want to buy & since it`s a hooby & a extension of yourself ,if you want bling ,you buy bling

only thing i don`t like is the high running cost`s

battery`s don`t last long (life wise) you all these tray`s to keep them healthy
tyre`s wear to fast (too soft)

but i do like buying cars & bit`s & bobs (don`t need them ) but i feels good when have a new toy to play with
it`s called self discepline in buying stuff ,if you have money burning a hole in your pocket then you spend it ,that`s the way it is
fishing
photography
BMXing
mountain biking

take Games ,how many have you brought for a ps2 or xbox & find out they are really shit to play ,what a waste
if it`s good you keep for awhile

you don`t have to buy it ,if it`s crap ..take the shame in buying it ,don`t go blamming some one else for buying it ,no one made you
yes i`ve brought quite a few crap things
latest edition is the much more CP brush wrench ,what a pile of crap ,does not fit properly & rounds off being made out off shitty alloy
still that`s the way it is ....Thats life
`life is like a bed of Rose`s` (saying)
Old 03-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
We have it in all these classes in Sweden since Jan 1-07. In 19t & 27t, on the drivers request! And it works flawless. No burning, no heat. Less money. Less tire wear. Less wear of the whole car actually. Same laptimes or better. But we have 1350gr.

GREAT pic!!!

Hi guys.
It's a great idea and it works. In Denmark we have also tested it, and we will go to 5 cells and 1350grams in all classes 27,19 and mod from 1/4-2007
All tests shows that laptimes are the same, corner speed is higher, and wear is a lot less.
Try it! - Its so easy to take a cell out and go to the track and test it. In theory it sounds bad and slow, I felt the same, but IRL it works great.

Søren
Old 03-12-2007, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
only thing i don`t like is the high running cost`s
With brushless and Lipo the next two running costs to address are tires and vehicle repairs from impacts or drivetrain failures.

We could address the tire issue by specifying a spec tire that had higher wear characteristics. Would change the character of racing slightly...less traction...but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

We could address vehicle impact failures by designing and requiring sanctioned races to use specific wall materials or designs that are more forgiving.

That would leave mostly car to car impact and drivetrain failures....considerably less than todays costs.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

I know you do your home work. And I see your point on the Losi brushless and 19. But I think its purpose was meant for bashing around? I wonder why they put the fast stuff in there? With the 13.5 it would be a great enrty level car. Hopefully Losi will read this and maybe start selling them with the 13.5. Man that would be a good sedan entry level deal with the JR radio and brushless.
Losi puts those motors in there because, what's the first thing a newbie asks when they buy a RTR...."How fast does it go?". Losi's sold a lot of kits that way. J.Cruz (at our track) had bought one with the 4300, tried to race it ONCE before he replaced the motor and everything and went to stock. He realized real quick that 4300 was to fast to start out with.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Losi puts those motors in there because, what's the first thing a newbie asks when they buy a RTR...."How fast does it go?". Losi's sold a lot of kits that way. J.Cruz (at our track) had bought one with the 4300, tried to race it ONCE before he replaced the motor and everything and went to stock. He realized real quick that 4300 was to fast to start out with.
Yeah so if they put a 13.5 in there they could call it an entry level racing kit, or beginner kit. Rather than just a RTR that is more focused on street bashing.
Most street racers want the hotter mods any way after they buy one to find the speedo wont handle the hotter motors. Maybe they could make special order kits for each case.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah so if they put a 13.5 in there they could call it an entry level racing kit, or beginner kit. Rather than just a RTR that is more focused on street bashing.
Most street racers want the hotter mods any way after they buy one to find the speedo wont handle the hotter motors. Maybe they could make special order kits for each case.
Special order kits would add up to $$$$. It's better for them to package something in the middle which saves a ton for Losi.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I saw some progress on this thread.....

First againster said it would be too slow...
Second againster said it would make battery hotter...
Now againster said it would be costy...

Something never change, something do change..

I agree go LiPo+BL is cheaper, but shouldn't something like "LiPo+BL is cheaper, should be legal" should stay in its own thread call "Make LiPo+BL legal for stock racing"?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ttso
I saw some progress on this thread.....

First againster said it would be too slow...
Second againster said it would make battery hotter...
Now againster said it would be costy...

Something never change, something do change..

I agree go LiPo+BL is cheaper, but shouldn't something like "LiPo+BL is cheaper, should be legal" should stay in its own thread call "Make LiPo+BL legal for stock racing"?
Yep, but this thread shouldn't really have been started either since all the same arguements were done on the ROAR to 4-cell thread. True, it wasn't about the UK but the arguements both for and against were still valid and in the end, that thread and many emails made ROAR change it's mind in regards to cell changes and so the U.S. is still 6-cell. That in itself is enough of an arguement against 5-cell...people don't want it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.