Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2012 U.S. VTA+ SOUTHERN NATIONALS in MUSIC CITY, U.S.A. >

2012 U.S. VTA+ SOUTHERN NATIONALS in MUSIC CITY, U.S.A.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 U.S. VTA+ SOUTHERN NATIONALS in MUSIC CITY, U.S.A.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
Im not really sure we need to ditch the LCQ, as big of a race as it is there should be 4 rounds of qualifying, not three.

And I like the triple A mains, they are far better for determining the main winner instead of just a single A main. (Look at the JR VTA main, one dominated all day and a mechanical problem cost him the win on the track)
With the 1 minute quals for VTA there are 4 rounds of quals, 5 counting the LCQ. ROAR races only have 3 rounds then triple mains, which should be kept.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trytowin
With the 1 minute quals for VTA there are 4 rounds of quals, 5 counting the LCQ. ROAR races only have 3 rounds then triple mains, which should be kept.
The 1 min qualifier is only a seeding round, nothing more. The result of that didnt have an bearing on making the a main or not (i dont believe)

And both of the last 2 roar nationals I have been to have had 4 qualifiers (2012 carpet and 2012 asphalt on road).

Either way, its a balancing act for myron to give us as much track time as possible and still keeping us out too late. Im sure he will make adjustments for next year and go from there. He did a great job this year with handling more entries than he was expecting.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[action]throw spit ball at board[/action]

friday
open 8am
open practice till 3
3pm 1minute qualifers for vta
5pm 3 minutes practice heats for non vta (10 heat this year) work out transponders and seed round 1
8pm round 1

saturday
open 8am
round 2 10am
round 3 2pm
round 4 6pm
done about 9?

sunday
open 8 am
open till 9am
A1 9am
A2 11am
A3 1pm
trophies 3pm

I'll have to look at the heat sheets to break it down when what finished when but it was 2.5 to 3 hours per round and 3.5 for mains on sunday I think.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I like it the way it was. If you dont want to run your 4th qualifier....sleep in and miss it. I was very happy with the amount of track time I got.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You obviously don't know me very well. 99% of all my posts are sarcastic
I think the format was fine.
I had to miss the last qualifier and the 3rd main of my triple A's in TC due to a funeral.

I think if we had started on time Saturday no one would be complaining about the 1 min qualifying for vta. I wish we could have pre-sorted based on practice, but Dirla didn't get everyone's transponders in the system in time.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tempest2000
You obviously don't know me very well. 99% of all my posts are sarcastic
I think the format was fine.
I had to miss the last qualifier and the 3rd main of my triple A's in TC due to a funeral.

I think if we had started on time Saturday no one would be complaining about the 1 min qualifying for vta. I wish we could have pre-sorted based on practice, but Dirla didn't get everyone's transponders in the system in time.
Oh I wasnt directing anything at anyone. Just saying in general. But Im sure they will have have what they want figured out by next year lol. Sitting here at work bench going through my car form the weekend, staring at it clueless trying to figure it out lol.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
The 1 min qualifier is only a seeding round, nothing more. The result of that didnt have an bearing on making the a main or not (i dont believe)

And both of the last 2 roar nationals I have been to have had 4 qualifiers (2012 carpet and 2012 asphalt on road).

Either way, its a balancing act for myron to give us as much track time as possible and still keeping us out too late. Im sure he will make adjustments for next year and go from there. He did a great job this year with handling more entries than he was expecting.
Come to think of it, there was 4 rounds of quals at the ROAR On-Road paved Nats, I was there too !! Dang old age !! They ran some of the lower mains Saturday due to the weather forecast for Sunday, thats what threw me off, sorry.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

You hit the nail on the head Skeen. The long Saturday was more due to the fact that the quals/heats weren't set up. Live & learn. I'm sure Dirla will clean that up a little for the next race. The whole concourse/drivers meeting was a little on the long side too.

Otherwise I think that everything was fine other than the fact that I am NOT a morning person and didn't enjoy being up that early for the LCQ. Funny enough though I think the LCQ was my best qualifier.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Evan, you weren't awake enough to screw up the run LOL
Old 09-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Evan, you weren't awake enough to screw up the run LOL
Actually I think I just never lifted. Couldn't really see my car so I just assumed I was always on the straightaway.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

That's what I did when I passed RJ on the straight. Closed my eyes and hoped for the best
Old 09-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That's what I did when I passed RJ on the straight. Closed my eyes and hoped for the best
I think i did the same thing as it was happening.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I liked the entire format of the weekend. We spent over 40 hours at the track in 3 days. With the way the track changed every round I was glad that we had the LCQ on the day of the mains. To me thats what a big event is all about, spending every waking moment of a weekend at the track.

Myron, Calvin was wanting to know if all the champions from 2012 can get their pitspots that they had this year? The dirtroom is where all the cool kids were
Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

I actually loved the one minute qualifying, and kinda wished it had some sort of bearing on the mains.

To speed it up, I think one would be well served to have the cars staged in an area near the drivers stand, but not to far away from the scoring loop, and then instead of drive to the line, turn around, back up, turn around again, then go, just do a flying start. Lap times in the 12s are faster than 30 seconds of dilly-dally to get staged.

I dont know what others would think of the idea of the one minute run affecting the mains, but maybe use the 3 or 4 rounds of traditional qualifying to decide which main you're in, but your starting spot is determined on the 1 minute run time? If I'm not mistaken, this is how full size dirt oval racing works.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alloyslash
I liked the entire format of the weekend. We spent over 40 hours at the track in 3 days. With the way the track changed every round I was glad that we had the LCQ on the day of the mains. To me thats what a big event is all about, spending every waking moment of a weekend at the track.

Myron, Calvin was wanting to know if all the champions from 2012 can get their pitspots that they had this year? The dirtroom is where all the cool kids were
I wasn't in the dirtroom but i wouldn't mind having the spot i had trackside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.