Wiki Posts
Search

OS TR engine thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by sook
I have to admit, it took an effort to keep it lit and to get it started for the first time through one tank.
DAMN SKIPPY!!!

I have to admit, I used up my entire list of explitives by the time I made it through one tank! With the manual settings,(which by the way are the same as the standard TR) on the high end, it was pulling so much fuel through the engine that I had to literally turn the car on its side to pour the fuel out the stinger on the pipe! Plus the engine was so tight, that when it finally would light up, the tightness would kill it a few seconds later.

Then I remembered something my local motor guru taught me once...'if your struggling to start a new engine, keep leaning it until it starts, then readjust the needle after you get it going'... So finally after leaning it about half a turn from manual settings, it lit and stayed lit.

Tune...tune...tune...tank...after...tank...after.. .tank...and........

WOW!!!

This made me forget my Sirio quick fast and in a hurry! And I still don't think I've gotten all of it out on the top end. The mid-range is insane and top speed is comparible to anything I've seen! I'm struggling to get the low end to kick in as soon as I pull the throttle...it has a kinda delay ...same damn problem I had with my Sirio. I'm really, REALLY, starting to hate 3 needle carbs! I just don't see the advantage of the low end needle, but I definitely see the drawbacks! So I'm going to let my local engine guru tune in that low end tomorrow at the races. But if it still isn't to my liking, the 2 needle 10J carb from my TR will be making an appearance on the R-Spec.

Summary of break in...

-It wont be easy to keep it lit at first(especially on a cool 70 degree overcast day ), but stick with it, the rewards will come

-The manual settings don't seem to fit with this engine. 2 turns out was way too rich to even get my engine started. I ended up at 1 3/4 out before it would even stop flooding my pipe.

-Insane....stinking.....fast....PERIOD! It easily matches my Sirio for top end and my TR standard on bottom and mid-range.

Next up...the track tomorrow. So we'll see how things go.

Last edited by Darkseid; 08-21-2004 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How big is your track? I have to say it's hard to believe it has as much top end as a sirio but I still have to finish break in.

You're right about the engine being hard to start. You have to lean the high end needle quite a bit to make it start.

I've gone through about 15 minutes on the starter box full throttle four stroking. I know this thing is going to have massive low end power but that's not as important to me.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:29 AM
Regional Moderator

At this point, I hadn't tested it on the track. I tested it in a wide open parking lot. The same parking lot where I did my testing with my Sirio. From my observations, there was NO, or virtually no drop off in top end. If there was, it wasn't noticable. When I first ran my Sirio at full speed, I could CLEARLY see the difference between it and my TR! But not with the R-Spec.

But once you get pass the 'rough times' just getting the thing started, and you start leaning it out, you'll see the speed it can produce. And like I said, I don't even think I got all the speed mine had to offer! The hottest I got mine yesterday was about 190 degrees...I think it has more to give...

I can't guarantee that it will skunk a moded Sirio or X12 on a 200ft straight, but standard engine against standard engine, I think it could hold its own.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

That is right Darkseid, plus it only cost 147 shipped!

This engine has massive potential. After retune from start, I think it is the easiest engine to start and idle. This engine will definately hold its own against anything ROAR legal at a club track.

Racing4evo, you will have nothing to worry about using this engine on a big track with the proper drive ratio and gearing.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:48 AM
Tech Addict

what HK shops have these engines..........................................?
Old 08-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Two words for my day with the R-Spec...

HELL YEAH!!!

Racing4Evo, JLock and everyone else looking for that first report:

Believe me or not, think I'm exaggerating if you want....but my engine had guys that were running the X12 impressed!

-The day started with my engine just a bit slower than the fastest guys. I was running at about 168 degrees and couldn't get it much hotter than that. It was fast, but the 'tone' or 'note'...(sound) of the engine said it was a bit rich. I ran the first qualifier and was very pleased with the spead and power on the low and mid range. I decided to let my fuel economy tell me if I was too rich or not. I got lucky...as I crossed the finish line at the end, I ran out of fuel! So I knew that I was too rich. I talked it over with my motor guy and he said to lean it quite a bit if I ran out that early. So I leaned it in a full 1/4 turn which left me at 1 full turn out on the high end needle.

-Second qualifier came up and the engine was a whole new beast!!! Lets just say the changes worked! The 'note' was perfect! The engine was as fast as anything on the track...maybe faster. I can't say if it was faster on ultimate top end(like, say, running across an open parking lot just to see who was fastest), but it got from zero to too fast faster than anything on the track. There was no one who could pull me on the straight, I was equal with everyone. In fact, I lost all my time on the infield as I tried to get used to the massive mid-range power that the engine produces. The throttle was so reponsive that all it took was a slight touch on the trigger to induce slingshot power out of the turn.

-Mains...I struggled with some brake fade toward the 5 min mark which made me trigger shy on the straight. But my brakes came back to me after my pit stop. I was once again able to put down some very fast laps on par with everyone out there. I eventually learned to take it easy with the throttle going through the infield and that allowed me to take better lines and get a better run on the straight. But all that did was make me wish the straight was longer, so I could see more of the engines top speed and just listen to it sing!

Recap...and conclusions:

Positives:
-If its out of the box, the R-Spec can race with it! PERIOD! I didn't get to race against anyone who was running moded today, so I can't say about what would happen in that case. But if its going from the box to the car...the R-Spec is a match for it.

-All the starting trouble....gone! Attach the igniter, one bump, its started!...PERIOD!

-All my hatred for 3 needle carbs....gone! For some reason, today the lowend was perfect. No more hesitation, no delay, just instant power.

-I am forced to take back my claim that it is as fast as my Sirio. Why? Because it was Faster! And this isn't just my opinion, this was the opinion of EVERYONE who saw me running! And when they found out how much it cost $139, the common response was "wow".

Negatives:

-The power band seems sharp. It was difficult for me to manage the lower speed corners without over powering. And that is with a standard speed servo. Today, I just adjusted my driving style to accomadate this tendacy. But in the future I may put this $300 radio of mine to use and dial in a little early throttle exponential to slow the response and smooth out the powerband.

-The only other negative I can think of is that our straight wasn't quite long enough to really enjoy the powa!

But like I said, this is a believe me or not tale. The only way to truely believe is to see someone running one of these in person. When I decided buy the R-spec, it was for a return to OS reliability and quality....and for the cool silver head , but now I see that for the low, low price of $139, I have gotten what I wanted, PLUS I stumbled upon probably THE best power value in the engine world.

P.S. -sorry for the long post, but when people ask me for a race report, I like to give real details and clear, honest opinons.

Hope this report helps people decide...trust me, you'll see more positive reports like it coming soon.

Last edited by Darkseid; 08-22-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

I continued the break-in after the race today and I was pleasantly surprised. At 171.4 degrees the engine already shows strong midrange power. I have yet to see how the top end is but I think it will do. I think I will get another one.

For what it is: AWESOME!
Old 08-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Hyper Head Inquiry

You guys know where I can get a Hyper Head besides Tower?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
I think I will get another one.

How many engines do you need???
Old 08-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the post of your experience with the R-spec, Darkseid. I had the chance to see two of them run this weekend at our statewide series race which was held in Austin. Ron Atomic was running it when he set TQ for the .12 touring class. His car of choice was the Kyosho FW-05. He and two others in his group were using it and they too were impressed. Between you, Sook, and what I saw this weekend, I will be getting one real soon. I appreciate your insight on your experience.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

could someone tell me how/where to get a piston and sleeve for a .12tr? is that all that is required for a rebuild? do i need a new connecting rod? if there are rebuild kits availible or if there is a link to a web site that could help me out i would appreciate it.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Darkseid
How many engines do you need???
At least one more for the Regionals in October. I need one for main use and another for backup.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JLock
Thanks for the post of your experience with the R-spec, Darkseid. I had the chance to see two of them run this weekend at our statewide series race which was held in Austin. Ron Atomic was running it when he set TQ for the .12 touring class. His car of choice was the Kyosho FW-05. He and two others in his group were using it and they too were impressed. Between you, Sook, and what I saw this weekend, I will be getting one real soon. I appreciate your insight on your experience.
Seeing Ron's car was what made me get one. His is modified though. I also drive an FW-05R.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by sean
could someone tell me how/where to get a piston and sleeve for a .12tr? is that all that is required for a rebuild? do i need a new connecting rod? if there are rebuild kits availible or if there is a link to a web site that could help me out i would appreciate it.

anybody?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

www.towerhobbies.com

I think you will need the piston&sleeve, conrod, and wrist pin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.