Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 LAS VEGAS INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC" W/SCOTTY ERNST

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

HI Everyone,

Well it has been a very educational and informative 24 hours for me by learning all the good and bad of what people are doing to charge their batteries. As I stated in my previous post, from earlier this morning, there has been a serious problem with the I Charger. After discussing this with my team, I have decided to change my decision from earlier and we will allow the I Charger, but not with firmware 2.05. In addition, we will implement the following rules for charging batteries for all chargers.

ALL BATTERIES MUST BE CHARGED IN A LIPO BAG
ALL 2S BATTERIES MUST BE BALANCED CHARGED
A MAX CHARGE AMPERAGE OF 14 AMPS
MAX BATTERY TEMP AT TECH OF +10 DEG OVER ROOM TEMP
MAX BATTERY VOLTAGE OF 8.44 FOR 2S
MAX BATTERY VOLTAGE OF 4.22 FOR 1S

CHARGING OF BATTERIES IS ONLY ALLOWED IN THE TRACK AREA

THINGS THAT WILL GET YOU REMOVED FROM THE RACING PROGRAM:
ANYONE FOUND TO BE CHARGING OVER THE 14AMP CHARGE RATE
CHARGING OUTSIDE THE TRACK AREA
CHARGING A BATTERY THAT IS NOT INSIDE A LIPO BAG.

SAFETY, that is what this is all about. Safety for you, your fellow racers, spectators and the hotel. We want everyone to have fun and the rules we set are there to ensure a safe and fun event for everyone.

I want to thank you for your understanding and patience as I worked through this situation.

If you have any questions at all, please let me know.
Thank you,
Scotty
[email protected]
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Thanks Scotty! Looks great to me!

Anyone that has an Icharger at the race that needs it updated to V2.06 I'll have my laptop with me and be glad to help you with this if your unsure how to do it.

EA
Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TRACKSIDE
HI Everyone,

Well it has been a very educational and informative 24 hours for me by learning all the good and bad of what people are doing to charge their batteries. As I stated in my previous post, from earlier this morning, there has been a serious problem with the I Charger. After discussing this with my team, I have decided to change my decision from earlier and we will allow the I Charger, but not with firmware 2.05. In addition, we will implement the following rules for charging batteries for all chargers.

ALL BATTERIES MUST BE CHARGED IN A LIPO BAG
ALL 2S BATTERIES MUST BE BALANCED CHARGED
A MAX CHARGE AMPERAGE OF 14 AMPS
MAX BATTERY TEMP AT TECH OF +10 DEG OVER ROOM TEMP
MAX BATTERY VOLTAGE OF 8.44 FOR 2S
MAX BATTERY VOLTAGE OF 4.22 FOR 1S

CHARGING OF BATTERIES IS ONLY ALLOWED IN THE TRACK AREA

THINGS THAT WILL GET YOU REMOVED FROM THE RACING PROGRAM:
ANYONE FOUND TO BE CHARGING OVER THE 14AMP CHARGE RATE
CHARGING OUTSIDE THE TRACK AREA
CHARGING A BATTERY THAT IS NOT INSIDE A LIPO BAG.

SAFETY, that is what this is all about. Safety for you, your fellow racers, spectators and the hotel. We want everyone to have fun and the rules we set are there to ensure a safe and fun event for everyone.

I want to thank you for your understanding and patience as I worked through this situation.

If you have any questions at all, please let me know.
Thank you,
Scotty
[email protected]

Thanks Scotty!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayaustin
Thats what an icharger did to everything in my buddys pit... justs saying. Caused like 2 grand in damagr to his rc stuff and blew a hole in the side of his trailer. I support scottys call on this. If u wanna charge at 40 amps for whatever unknown reason and blow the side of ur face off thats fine. Ill use my gfx coach
I have a buddy who did the same thing to his F1 car...charging the battery inside the car and not using a LIPO sack/bag and he wasn't using an iCharger. BTW I don't use or own an iCharger.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Switching subjects

CONCOURSE-
Will there be a requirement that the winning car(s) must be driven? I've been to other events where the winning body was put away and never saw the track.

Limited to one body per class or could we enter a couple of different bodies?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the support guys, We are trying our best.

MOOSE: Body must be raced, You can enter only 1 body in Concourse but you can run multiple bodies during the event.

Thanks guys,
Scotty
Old 09-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks Scotty! I'm glad that could be worked out!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Great call Scotty.

And I also doubt that the hotel would be able to deliver enough power to the ballroom if everyone was allowed to charge in the higher ranges (20-40 amps). 14 amps is kewl!

Fondly remembering way back to the 2006 ROAR Carpet Championships at Stockton where a well known racer repeatedly started up his motor dyno and tripped the electrical circuit feeding a bunch of the pro racers. It happened over and over again...but, that person shall remain nameless...Because he supplies me with killer motors...LOL

Bill

Last edited by Still Bill; 09-14-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Per Scotty's latest post about charging batteries
Old 09-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

great call Scotty.. thanks for listening and making another level headed decision and working it out so quickly. This is why you run the best races in the world....
Old 09-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Great call Scotty.

And I also doubt that the hotel would be able to deliver enough power to the ballroom if everyone was allowed to charge in the higher ranges (20-40 amps). 10 amps is kewl!

Fondly remembering way back to the 2006 ROAR Carpet Championships at Stockton where a well known racer repeatedly started up his motor dyno and trip the electrical circuit feeding a bunch of the pro racers. It happened over and over again...but, that person shall remain nameless...Because he supplies me with killer motors...LOL

Bill
Hey now...I resemble that remark! LOL I cant help those pro guys had all their fancy special hand built nimh cells in legal shrink wrap that was pulling too much power for the circuit. They shouldnt have been using those and the power would have been sufficient for chargers and the dyno!

EA
Old 09-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Hey now...I resemble that remark! LOL I cant help those pro guys had all their fancy special hand built nimh cells in legal shrink wrap that was pulling too much power for the circuit. They shouldnt have been using those and the power would have been sufficient for chargers and the dyno!

EA
Dang! You have a great memory! I assume you are referring to the "killer motors" aspect...LOL

But, don't forget that everyone also had their soldering iron at the ready in those days...before brushless and lipo.

I was on the tech crew for that event and got badly burned by just touching the battery pack on a certain team member's TC car. Ah yes, I remember Toso very well...LOL

Bill
Old 09-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Dang! You have a great memory! I assume you are referring to the "killer motors" aspect...LOL

But, don't forget that everyone also had their soldering iron at the ready in those days...before brushless and lipo.

I was on the tech crew for that event and got badly burned by just touching the battery pack on a certain team member's TC car. Ah yes, I remember Toso very well...LOL

Bill
Yeah, and that was BEFORE he went out to run!!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

So many more positive announcements and so little time.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
So many more positive announcements and so little time.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thank you Scotty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.