How to expand RC? Ideas wanted...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to expand RC? Ideas wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Default How to expand RC? Ideas wanted...

Lets brainstorm some ideas on how to get people into this great hobby. I was thinking someone needs to serously think of a marketing strategy on how to bring people into the hobby. I mean fighting works for Hockey. A more complex sceme other than hosting a race here and there. This may sound stupid, but why not. It works for many other sports like WWF wressling. I know its not a contact sport, but what could we do? I know people and they like crontroversy. I know I do a long with a great debate. Perhaps if mags would write about what happens behind the scene at the top level races. It sure would interest me more about who is a hot head, and who has a big head, etc etc. Who is a hacker and who is the hero. Any ideas? Just a thought. I know the RC robot wars are big. Any marketing gurus out there?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Default A personality test or poll would be a great start

to see who is attracted to hobbies like RC. How about a poster girl for RC?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:36 PM
Tech Adept

commericals and more clubs haveing special promoting days with demos at the local iga or walmart.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Tech Addict

Default 70mphpancar, I agree...

I think the biggest draw back is the exspense of RC. Perhaps if some big name hobby companies would advertise on television. Why don't they? Mag advertisments can't be cheap.

I remember one commerical for life insurance that showed a park flier in its add. It got me to buy one and it was not even an add for RC. I imagine the old Dirty Harry Movie the Dead Pool may have helped RC sales. Wel,l I guess if the RC companies don't care so much then why should I. I guess this is more just a topic of conversation.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Default How to expand RC? Ideas wanted...

R/C is sort of a specialized Hobby that is not for everyone. Word of mouth can be great free advertising but it can also hurt the hobby (HPI message board).
What I find are 2 great ways to get people interested are:

1) Having races in a area with a lot of public exposure like a Mall or Shopping center parking lot.
2) Having those races supported or sponsered by a local Hobby Shop that racers can refer spectators to. A banner with the LHS's info helps to for the people who don't like to ask questions.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trying to compare R/C to WWE isn't right. For the most part, R/C racing is not a spectator sport. We want more people to join us, not watch us.

Showing people the bad stuff that happens behind the scenes will not get them interested in a hobby. If I knew that there would be fights, arguments and bad attitudes, I wouldn't want to get into it. People want to do this because it is fun.

The cost of entry is a BIG issue. R/C is not a cheap hobby. You don't have to spend money like some people do, but even trying to race on a budget is expensive. This is just a fact, not much we can do about it.

The biggest thing we can do to get people interested is to expose them to racing. Due to the high cost of rent, many indoor tracks are in remote or bad areas of town. Unless there is another reason to draw people into the building, they will never see the racing.

Public races are probably the biggest realistic draw we have. Race in the parking lot in front of a busy strip mall and people will see what it is all about. If there is an Arts and Music festival, talk to them about having a race during their event.

Now that we have HPI Micro, BRP and Mini-Z, it would even be possible to hold a race inside a mall. Just think of the walk-by traffic that would generate.

Getting the local news to broadcast stories about racing is another good idea. It may only get a minute or two of air time, but it is exposure. Just make sure they give a telephone number or web address for viewers to learn more.

Most if not all of these ideas have been done already by some groups. The success will depend on the attitudes of the race directors and racers. If we come across as friendly and having fun, people will want to join us.

Great topic, let's keep this going!

Jeff Gilligan
Old 02-20-2003, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow...Great thread.
I think we're going to find that many of our ideas make sense and could generate new racers. We need to look closer at ourselves before we look for outside sources of our problems. How many times have we all purchased something from Ebay or internet shops instead of our LHS?? You know...the guy with the track,timing system,and manpower investment. Hobby shop price to high? Ever just asked or suggested to the shop owner for a better deal?? But remember..nobody on Ebay is giving you a track to race on. Be realistic about prices. How many times have we been unwilling to spend the extra 5 or 10 bucks for an item because of better advertised prices?? And yet we'll show up at this guy's place on race day !! When he's gone we wonder why??
How many racers out there support the club?? How many times have we met people who say " I'm a serious racer,I'm not gonna' waste my time with a bunch of rookies" ? In many cases the local club has invested the money to buy all the equipment. They really do need YOUR help. Don't want to join !! No problem.. how about donating as much as you would spend to drive 2 hrs to another place. Every bit helps.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Jeez...Now you got my big italian mouth on overdrive!!!
Does any body know why we don't have a national organization working to promote RC Racing ??? My take on ROAR and NORRCA is that they seem to be more support oriented rather than playing a proactive role in promoting the sport. They do a great job but what we need is a member supported agency that will seek promotional avenues like working with NASCAR, SCCA and others . Many a pro driver has said..."i started out racing bikes, then go carts, etc,etc" Is it to much of a stretch to add RC Racing to the list of competitive sports that develop interest in cars and racing ??. Great advertising for them too. How many of our paint schemes are based on real life drivers or corporate sponsors ?? It still comes down to us....WE are our best promoters. How about a buddy program?? Take on an interested driver(child or adult) let them use your older equipment or help them make the right choices for their own. Help them get to the races and then donate your best asset...your time...to keep this person interested and aware of the VALUE they get with these cars.

Last edited by Evoracer; 02-20-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by rcpigz
It still comes down to us....WE are our best promoters. How about a buddy program?? Take on an interested driver(child or adult) let them use your older equipment or help them make the right choices for their own. Help them get to the races and then donate your best assett...your time...to keep this person interested and aware of the VALUE they get with these cars.

Very well put.. Dino
This is what I do for all of my Military buddys ...and while there out at the Track they can help out with Playing Turn Marshal

-Dave
Old 02-20-2003, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by gotpez
Now that we have HPI Micro, BRP and Mini-Z, it would even be possible to hold a race inside a mall. Just think of the walk-by traffic that would generate.
Theres a club in the UK that used to hold a race meeting (1/10th scale) once or twice a year in a shopping centre but i think it has been stopped now.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Dino, well put...but I have to disagree with ya on one point, at least for the ROAR perspective. They do not do a great Job, but they do provide a service we need. If the larger org's actually cross promoted with other competetive hobbies/sports they could get the word out to a broader audience. How about some demographic information ? What it distills down to, is this hobby grows by word of mouth. We all have to be ambassadors of the hobby, and do our best...

Good Thread
Old 02-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

What about holding races at car shows. The people who attend car shows already have an insterst in cars.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

and usally people are older and have money and might not mind the cost factor. i saw on tv that a club made a community anouncement on a local station. why not phone up a tv or radio station and tell them about it, i bet they will talk a bit about it
Old 02-20-2003, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Great ideas !! We need forums and threads like this one!! Now get on the computer, get on the phone or contact your LHS or club President and do it !!! People like you 2 are the ones who are going to make this sport more well known. Good thinking !
Old 02-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

Default Sounds like some great ideas!

I really like the car show idea. I would like to see some of these big organizations use some TV air time. Perhaps a small segment on tech talk, and explain that its not just a kids toy thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.