Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question???? >

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Club Racing - To spec or not to spec is the question????

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

originally the class was supposed to be about bodies that were based on legit race cars and then you ended up with bodies like teh Sophia and the Ferrari 599 and the Parma DB9 (which is stretched farther than an actual DB9). there are some pockets of 235mm racers (I think one of the regulars in the 10th pan discussion races with some guys in CO) but not as solid a following as there used to be. if there are guys who want to bring their old 235s out then I say let em and see where things go
Old 12-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There were a bunch of us locally that were really interested in bringing back a 10th pan class. Then some moron suggested GT bodies and we all threw our arms up in disgust and walked away... 235 doesn't scale out (the bodies always will look like cartoon versions of the reall thing)

The GT bodies would be a huge challenge for mod. Without mod you have factory racers in your slowest class. Not necessarily a good thing for the less skilled racers that are just getting started.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

WGT is a spec class as it is.

Why ruin it by breaking it up into several spec classes? There are hardly any one racing these now and any rule changes will dilute the field even more. As it is at my track we only have one Main of WGT and 1/12. In WGT there is a 12 to 15 lap difference between No 1 and last non-DNF. But the slower drivers are starting to get it and are gaining speed.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

You didnt have to just throw up your hands and walk away when he brought up GT bodies. The better course would have been to talk it out (preferably without punches being thrown), and worked out a mutually agreeable solution that would allow for both 235mm and 200mm. I had a 10L for the longest time (it may still be around my house in Portsmouth somewhere) and so I am certainly in favor of seeing 235 make a return (even if it means using a conversion kit) but at the same time I think that there is a place for the 200mm WGT class but maybe if we took a page from the BRCA and for that class only allowed bodies that actually were legitimate front or mid-engine race cars. yeah they wouldnt perform super well (like the stuff that is out now) but who says that every class has to be about slammed bodies and maximum downforce.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can find an excuse not to run anythiing.If you don't want to run the class that's fine- just say it. More and more are running the class the same with the other classes. The number of racers have been falling for several years.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

In my opinion WGT is only one class with nine or so choices of bodies. If you don't like those choices, fine then this isn't a class for you. You want to race 235, fine race 235 but in your own class or sell the 235 and get a WGT. Looks like AE has dropped future runs of the 10R5 and will be selling out existing stock. Good time to get a deal on one, they really don't break unless you drive full speed into a wall.

It makes me think back to the SCCA days where some joker would insist on racing a class C car in class H so he would have a chance at a podium position. It ain't gonna happen.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

The downside to the body list for WGT as it is currently constituted is that many of those bodies are discontinued and that really leaves only three maybe four possible choices. Im weighing between the Parma Aston Martin (and I will probably get it painted like Hexis AMR or one of the FIA GT1 Astons) or the HPI Saleen Mustang (which isnt as competitive but is American and have it painted like the ACS cars from Speed World Challenge or maybe like a Continental Tire series Mustang)
Old 12-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Who really cares what it is painted like (the body)- if the car does not handle. If you can't have fun racing the class don't race it.
The paint scheme does not does not make the car any faster.Only the drivers skills.And regardless if you don't practice nothing will help.

Last edited by BullFrog; 12-25-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Never said that the paint scheme did...and never said I thought it wasnt fun...thats you assuming I said that (or at least intended that by what I posted)
Old 12-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

So far the Mustang doesn't seem to affect the handling as much as the chassis set up. One of our newer wgt racers has the Stang and until we helped him figure out his CRC it was all over the place.

I have used the Sofia, Corvette and now the DB9 and have not noticed any significant handling issues that can't be fixed by tuning the chassis (springs, oil, shock limiters, etc).

BTW We stress fun more than winning, though it's nice to win too.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

235 is dead. The cars are being phased out and there will be zero support again soon. May it rest in peace.

When a bunch of us originally talked about reviving a 10th pan class it was centered around cars that could be made to look more scale than the old 235 doorstops. Dale Epp at Protoform made a sweet 190mm body for the class and it went in the can in favor of what we have now.

Until onroad makes changes that will stop the bleeding it will continue to decline. And by bleeding I mean the lack of new racers and the current racers that are leaving. Very Very few tracks are seeing increased onroad numbers...
Old 12-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

You know that on-road is dieing when tracks like S&N Trackside in Milwaukee pull up the carpet and bring in dirt.

Part of the reason is the proliferation of on-road classes and the need for winning. It used to be TC stock or mod, that was it.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

That is definitely a problem...really there only should be the two you mentioned, 12th scale stock and mod, WGT, VTA and a novice class. anything more than that and you have the problem we have with 4 cars in a main and 27 classes to run.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Part of it is the race owners/directors that don't want to turn anyone away so they set up a class for 3 cars.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

well that is gonna require a delicate dance to be performed...you want to bring in a steady influx of new racers but at the same time you dont want to alienate the racers you already have and maintaining a high competition level as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.