Like Tree3Likes

1/10th pan car

Old 09-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a question for u road guys.. im currently making a oval pan car kit for oval racing.. But i have had some slight interest in me making a 10th scale road car.. how many would be interested in a new style pan car.. it would be based on the associated l3 type cars ..... meaning it would be a conversion kit.. if there is any interest post here.. if i get enough ill make them...

id like to see this class pick up again...
Old 09-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by burbs
I have a question for u road guys.. im currently making a oval pan car kit for oval racing.. But i have had some slight interest in me making a 10th scale road car.. how many would be interested in a new style pan car.. it would be based on the associated l3 type cars ..... meaning it would be a conversion kit.. if there is any interest post here.. if i get enough ill make them...

id like to see this class pick up again...
The class is doing pretty good here!
Is it going to be a narrow car or a wide car?
Old 09-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Darn it ! I tried to order somemore bodies at Tower and they said they only had ONE in stock .. of course I got it.

Also .. They told me the code for free shipping won't work because I am past the 30 days of my last order. (she said it had to be used within 30 days of my last order)

Anyways.. the bodies are gone according to the lady that I just talked to at Tower.

Tower Hobbies Discount Code and Ebay Stuff:

Tower Hobbies ad number code 597B9 is good for free shipping on an order of $50 or more. It’s perfect to go place an order for three of the just back in stock today HB Toyota's (get 'em while they're hot!) and save the $8 they ususally charge to ship those. Even if they run out of bodies by the time you see this, it should still work to place some on backorder. I just don't know how many times that code can be used and by how many different people.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Doh! I knew they'd go fast.

At least we know the conditions on the order code now though.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

im not sure what type to make wide or narrow.. right now im looking for input as to what would be most wanted... any ideas you guys have post them or somthing u would like to see on it... its a blank sheet right now.. i just figured since im doing oval cars now... i may as well do this to....
Old 09-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by MarkA
Doh! I knew they'd go fast.

At least we know the conditions on the order code now though.
Maybe there are more pro10 racers out there than we have been led to believe. I mean Tower is having trouble keeping L2s and Pro10 bodies in stock. You got 15 guys at the Nationals in OR, you get at least 10 total every week at SoCal, Maybe Pro10 isnt as dead as we thought...

Am I right or wrong in saying that?
Old 09-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by burbs
im not sure what type to make wide or narrow.. right now im looking for input as to what would be most wanted... any ideas you guys have post them or somthing u would like to see on it... its a blank sheet right now.. i just figured since im doing oval cars now... i may as well do this to....
I think there'd be more demand for certain individual parts (I'm assuming you can make stuff out of high-grade carbon fiber) than for a whole car or a conversion kit. I think if you made the right parts for a wide car, you could see a real, but albeit limited, opportunity in our niche market.

Of the top of my head, while I think some people would be interested in a one-stop/one-bag conversion to make the L2 into a tri-shock car (what I/we call the L2.5), that can presently be done using all AE parts for @$50 total and you'd be hard-pressed to compete with AE as a "little guy". At the same time, Hyperdrive makes a tri-shock roadcourse car that never really took off because it simply costs too much. It's roughly $75 more than a new L2 kit and the parts to make a L2.5. I think the new car market for roadcourse cars is just going to be hard to penetrate on price point and our market is not like the Oval car market where those racers will pay $150+ for a chassis kit from a company like KGB.

Right of the top of my head though, I can think of about five guys I pit with every week at SoCal that would order a graphite lower pod plate for the L2 to replace the heavy, bendable aluminum one the car comes with (It’s AE part# 8204 if you want to look up what I’m talking about). We get asked about spring-steel T-bars that use the L2’s tweak screws every so often also – anyone think of anything else?
Old 09-11-2004, 12:39 AM

Things I might think of is a better front end.
Trinity's super adjustable front end could be made as a conversion kit, or something like the CEFX 1/12th car, or perhaps the yokomo YRX2000 style.
You can also look into making rear pod plates like the 1/12th lowered pieces, only not lowered .
Also, a lightweight, easy to use battery monting system, that doesn't require taping could be an option.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Lightbulb EBAY L2

I want to try and snag the L2 parts car Mark identified. I plan on racing 19T ProTen in our Western Canadian Indoor series this winter with an "L2.5". or my old faithful "EV10". I think I'll bid on that caster/camber gauge for the ev10.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Filing tips

When filing he slots of the chassis for the batteries how much would you recommend filing down to a good level and should you file the whole thing around (front to back, side to side) or just the front and back of the slot?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well one thing that needs to be done inorder to attract more people is to get rid of the way foam tires are categorized...gold, blue, white, purple....WTH? Those colors have no logical relationship to grip or traction qualities. All those colors still confuse me.

Originally posted by trackdesigner71
Maybe there are more pro10 racers out there than we have been led to believe. I mean Tower is having trouble keeping L2s and Pro10 bodies in stock. You got 15 guys at the Nationals in OR, you get at least 10 total every week at SoCal, Maybe Pro10 isnt as dead as we thought...

Am I right or wrong in saying that?
Old 09-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Filing tips

Originally posted by nitrous36
When filing he slots of the chassis for the batteries how much would you recommend filing down to a good level and should you file the whole thing around (front to back, side to side) or just the front and back of the slot?
I just file a little in front and back so the batteries fit snug in the slot.
If you do to much the batteries will hang out the bottom of the chassis and scrape the ground. Also do a little where the strapping tape wraps through the chassis. So that the sharp edge won't cut the tape.
Richard

Last edited by thirdplace; 09-11-2004 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by MarkA
anyone think of anything else?
I'd like to see a rear pod top plate that will accept the tri-shocks but keep the wide pod. I'd also like to see a replacement for the aluminum bottom plate. A battery securing device would be great too.

On a side note my L2 is all setup ready to race the first time tomorrow, I'll let know how it turns out.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Sneak preview

Since we are on the subject of new pan cars and parts, I want to share a picture of the latest project from Powell Racing Components. In the rear, the PRC pan car can be configured to use the T-bar with damper tubes, side springs with damper tubes or side shocks. The delrin battery locators have a 7 position adjustment over a range of .900". The batteries are held in place using a system similar to the one on our Quad12 conversion.

D.P.
Attached Thumbnails 1/10th pan car-im000401.jpg  
Old 09-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Sneak preview

Originally posted by DPowell
Since we are on the subject of new pan cars and parts, I want to share a picture of the latest project from Powell Racing Components. In the rear, the PRC pan car can be configured to use the T-bar with damper tubes, side springs with damper tubes or side shocks. The delrin battery locators have a 7 position adjustment over a range of .900". The batteries are held in place using a system similar to the one on our Quad12 conversion.

D.P.
very cool! Is that 10th scale?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.