Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI's new 1/18th Monster Truck- The Mini Recon

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HPI's new 1/18th Monster Truck- The Mini Recon

Hey all I didn't see a thread started for HPI's new mini MT so here it is.

The following is taken directly from HPI's site HPI Mini Recon:

SPECIFICATIONS:

CHASSIS LENGTH: 232mm
WIDTH: 174mm
HEIGHT: 108mm
TRACK: 145mm
WHEELBASE: 160mm
DRIVE SYSTEM: Shaft 4WD
TIRES: Micro Block

SMALL - FAST - TOUGH
The HPI Mini Recon is the perfect 1/18th scale fun package. Made from extremely tough composite material the Mini Recon is nearly indestructible. Its powerful 370 size motor accelerates the Mini Recon to incredible top speeds. The Mini Recon comes as a true RTR package with absolutely everything you need to get going, including: HPI TF-40 radio set, 7.2V NiMh battery, charger and even AA batteries for the transmitter.

Features:
2.4GHz
HPI TF-40 2.4GHz radio set for trouble free control.

SHAFT 4WD SYSTEM
Heavy-duty 4WD shaft drive system to handle the High Torque RM-18 motor power.

RSC-18 ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROLLER
The High Frequency forward and reverse RSC-18 ESC provides all the power you'll need.

RM-18 High Torque Motor
High torque brushed motor gives the recon great performance both on and off the road.

BALL DIFFERENTIALS
Super smooth ball differentials provide reliable power transfer.

SUSPENSION
Fully independent double wishbone suspension.

4 TOUGH SHOCKS
4 Factory fitted long-stroke oil-filled shock absorbers soak up all terrain.

SERVO SAVER
Twin point steering with integrated servo saver.

BATTERY COVER
Covered battery for extra protection.

FULL BALL BEARINGS
Fully ball raced, efficient drivetrain.

COMPOSITE TOUGHNESS
Strong molded composite tub chassis, shock towers and suspension parts make the car nearly indestructible.

MICRO BLOCK TIRES
Pre-glued high grip "Micro Block" tires on Chrome 6 spoke Rims.

PAINTED BODYSHELL
Pre-finished and trimmed bodyshell, fully finished from factory with applied decals.

My opinion... it looks like a re-branded propulse...
Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Pretty weak sauce IMO ...... Even if it is cheap ....
Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

rc18T/MT, propulse, maverick atom... anything else out there that looks like this? ..though hpi covered the gear and the battery...they should have used a BL combo too...
Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Initiate

I have 2 pro-pulses and every part except the gear cover, battery cover, and chassis brace is exactly the same... Even the electronics (excluding the rx) are the same besides the color... Hopefully they fixed the diffs and the dogbones. Besides those 2 week points and the electronics the pro-pulses aren't that bad of a car IMO.

Shea
Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It has better looking wheels/tires and body than the Megatech's/Pro Pulse's. But yes, i agree, most of the parts look quite similar. It would only run $40 to go Hobbywing brushless, upgrade the shocks, and it could be interesting.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Just saw this little truck at the local ht usa. Man at $99 I wanted to buy it so bad. Just need to sell the dang revo. This seems to be the perfect car to replace my merv. Good size to bring on vacation, cheap to upgrade electronics, made my hpi. Hopefully it isnt as big of a dud as the savage xs. If it gets good reviews and I have a little money to blow after selling some stuff and christmas, I have no doubt in my mind that this will be my next car. I would throw in a small tacon motor and a hobbywing 25a esc if they make it. If not, the 35a.

Oh, completely forgot about these. I would probably get this for the motor and esc. 4pole ftw!
http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...5a-4300kv.html
Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

If the plastic dog bones will hold up. I doubt there's any metal at all in that trucks drive train
Old 11-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
If the plastic dog bones will hold up. I doubt there's any metal at all in that trucks drive train
At the pricepoint I dont know of one with metal dogbones. I just see it as something to upgrade down the road. It seems kind of entry level to me, so I would suspect that most people wouldnt be throwing in a bl system right away.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

who is HPI trying to kid? I have a propulse I race in the mini latemodel series here in town...

AND THIS IS A EXACT REPLICA, down to the turnbuckle links.

So Megatech got hammered by the masses because it was a 18T/B clone...

Are the masses going to hammer HPI for a clone china 18th car?

I would considering you can get a new propulse from the bay for $50.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Metalsoft
who is HPI trying to kid? I have a propulse I race in the mini latemodel series here in town...

AND THIS IS A EXACT REPLICA, down to the turnbuckle links.

So Megatech got hammered by the masses because it was a 18T/B clone...

Are the masses going to hammer HPI for a clone china 18th car?

I would considering you can get a new propulse from the bay for $50.
Well, do companies hammer down on china making clones of the iphone and cheap android devices? NO! Then will china hammer down on hpi making a clone of their probably clone? Probably especially adding that this car is probably made in china. Im gonna get this sweet little truck from hpi anyway. Why make a knock off of crap? Obviously there was something good about the propulse. They did change a few things like the battery cover and I think there was something else too. Hpi may be using different plastics and stuff too.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My son's Megatech has yet to break a plastic dogbone, and it's brushless.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Ya'll are all pretty funny and naive.
If you have such an issue with the Recon being a clone of another vehicle...........then whay are all of ya'll so fond of the Tacon, Hobbywing and Turnigy crap? Those brands are all cheap, under-performing pieces of Chinese garbage that are clones of better domestic stuff.
I woulda thought that all the HK and Hobbypartz faithful would be all over this one.

O and anyone who thinks the Savage XS is a dud probably has to be reminded to breath.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nerdyrcdriver
Well, do companies hammer down on china making clones of the iphone and cheap android devices? NO! Then will china hammer down on hpi making a clone of their probably clone? Probably especially adding that this car is probably made in china. Im gonna get this sweet little truck from hpi anyway. Why make a knock off of crap? Obviously there was something good about the propulse. They did change a few things like the battery cover and I think there was something else too. Hpi may be using different plastics and stuff too.
What made the Propulse fail was its initial price and Radio Shacks liberal return policy. The reason your getting them for $50 now is in NJ there is a warehouse full of them.....
The Propulse was supposed to sell for $100. When they initially released them the bumped up the price to $150....People bought them broke them and Radio shack couldnt fix them so people returned them...Then RadioShack dumped them all back at Megatech......Now Megatech had to refurbish thousands....and you can get them for $50....

The HPI at $99 is a great deal....2.4 too...
1/18th scale racing is no longer as big as it once was....the masses realize most 1/18th scales are money pits and it is cheaper to go bigger....
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Initiate

i have a pp that is stock besides the electrics and the driveline. im running a ezrun 25a esc and 4800kv 2040 tacon motor on 3s and it holds up to the power just fine. im running stock rc18t differentials and driveshafts and that seems to have fixed the driveline issue. only other thing you may want to do is find some aluminum shocks and the optional turnbuckles for the pp truck. im really loving my pp and im sure that this little truck will do just fine with a little tlc haha

shea
Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dieselpower
...Tacon, Hobbywing and Turnigy crap? Those brands are all cheap, under-performing pieces of Chinese garbage that are clones of better domestic stuff.
I woulda thought that all the HK and Hobbypartz faithful would be all over this one.

O and anyone who thinks the Savage XS is a dud probably has to be reminded to breath.
im gonna hijack this thread for just a second. i have a tacon motor/esc for one of my rc18's and it is just as good as my tekin mini rage kit that is on my other rc18. In fact there are a couple of things i like about it better then the tekin esc and its 1/5th the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.