Search
Like Tree6Likes

Tamiya Ta06

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masterhit
Just thought I would post up some of my latest TA06 experiments.

In the pics is a layout for a shorty pack. It is really not as cool as you would think since the chassis still needs to be balanced out for the servo which puts about 45 grams back on the outside of the chassis. I went back to a standard set-up to test batteries back to back.

I also removed a whopping 27ish grams from the drive-line with the following parts.

R1101: R1 Wurks 7075-T6 Drive Axles (Tamiya, pair)

TAM54304: TA06 Front Direct Coupling - 39T

TAM53724: Tamiya 46mm Swing Shaft Lw

TAM51469: TRF417 Gear Diff Unit Cup Joint

Hotbodies DCJs are going in tonight before carpet club racing tomorrow. I should have a very good spec rubber tire carpet set-up after tomorrow. I was getting within a tenth of my TCX consistently before the newest diet listed above.

If you run open rubber tires, not only are Sorex better tires, but they will also drop another 20 grams of static weight off of the drive-line.

Running weight with regular battery, 1389 grams.

Running weight pre-ballast with shorty, 1291 grams.

Mike Slaughter
Mike, Im curious to see what your esc temps are. Your ESC is boxed in, and no airflow...
Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jerzi
Can somebody link the carbon chassis that are out there for sell at this moment.
The car has been out for sometime now but in ebay there is none chassis set for sell yet.
meh TA06 only 6mths old since its Shizouka announcement

when TA05 came out took like 15-18mths before any CF chassis sets appeared

factory CF shock towers just about releasing now
Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
Mike, Im curious to see what your esc temps are. Your ESC is boxed in, and no airflow...
does he have a spidery CF batteryhatch lid?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by WC
meh TA06 only 6mths old since its Shizouka announcement

when TA05 came out took like 15-18mths before any CF chassis sets appeared

factory CF shock towers just about releasing now
Actually there are 3 (2 avail for purchase)and one in the works....
AlienRC(see past pages)
TechRC
race

drift

I also hear Exotek is planning on putting one out around december. Hopefully MikeR or another Exotek rep can provide a teaser pic/vid...
Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Midget
How is this car right out of the box? Anything extra I would need?
It comes stock with front and rear gear diffs right?

Sorry to interrupt guys.
My view is probably going to be a bit unpopular but.....

In my opinion, it is a car you have to "want to drive". All other things being equal, the driver of the TA06 is going to have the harder slog.

It will need some work out of the box to compete with your previous cars. On tight carpet tracks it loses a bit too much coming out of the turns to be competitive. So far I have failed after many hours to free up the drive-train to any where near the level of a two belt car.

Larger sweeping tracks will mitigate the issue.

Box stock it is a serious pig and it shows on the track. The easiest solution to that problem is a shorty pack. An instant 100 grams weight savings for about $60 in the US. They give up a bit in the voltage department, (see pic of my packs at 35 amps) but so far I feel that is offset by the weight savings if you do not have time and $$$$ to trim the weight in other ways. Even then it may have benefits as you are able to put the weight were you want it.

It has been beaten to death, but the stock Philips head screws must go, and as mentioned the aluminum turnbuckles are not conducive to an abusive driving style.....

If your racing in-doors a spool is an essential tuning aid (+ big drive-train weight savings) along with a good set of springs (Ride, HPI).

In the end my personal experience was that it took just as much money, if not a little more, to compete with the fore mentioned cars along with a higher level of commitment to the build. But, it can definitely have it's own rewards taking the path less traveled.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Ta06-lipo-graph.jpg  
Old 10-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by WC
Even if he did, the airflow will come nowhere near as much as on it mounted on the chassis. I have the Kawada one and it has the most "open space" and I KNOW it wont have enough flow w/o a fan.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WC
Ding! Ding!

Like I said though, I pulled the set-up to do back to back battery testing. This weekend will be the first time that I can run back to back with equal weights between the shorty and standard pack.

If I don't see a difference in times between the two pack types I will try the "stealth" install.

I run blinky so normally the speedo temps at around 90 degrees. Having done crazier motors and boost in off-road with the same speedo with near zero airflow, a heavier car and a body running on top of it I do not foresee any issues.

Mike
Old 10-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I spent almost 2 hours last night building my rear dif (beginning of the kit).
I am wondering though I the kit come with a pinion for the motor I choose to put there or, it this something I need to purchase separately such as the tires ? - I hate the Phillips screws... I cannot wait for my TI stuff.

In regards to building the dif (rear). the instructions ask to fill it up with differential oil, however after looking at the bags that came with the car, I only saw a CLEAR "damper oil" which I am presuming it the "dif oil" and another bottle of yellowish "damper oil in the back with the shocks."

Can someone tell me if I am in the right direction please? also what weight is this dif and damper oil in the kit?

One more question, Do you guys recommend cleaning the kit bearings (taking the grease out with an ultrasonic cleaner) and just lubing with bearing oil?

Thanks,
Old 10-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by masterhit
My view is probably going to be a bit unpopular but.....

In my opinion, it is a car you have to "want to drive". All other things being equal, the driver of the TA06 is going to have the harder slog.

It will need some work out of the box to compete with your previous cars. On tight carpet tracks it loses a bit too much coming out of the turns to be competitive. So far I have failed after many hours to free up the drive-train to any where near the level of a two belt car.

Larger sweeping tracks will mitigate the issue.

Box stock it is a serious pig and it shows on the track. The easiest solution to that problem is a shorty pack. An instant 100 grams weight savings for about $60 in the US. They give up a bit in the voltage department, (see pic of my packs at 35 amps) but so far I feel that is offset by the weight savings if you do not have time and $$$$ to trim the weight in other ways. Even then it may have benefits as you are able to put the weight were you want it.

It has been beaten to death, but the stock Philips head screws must go, and as mentioned the aluminum turnbuckles are not conducive to an abusive driving style.....

If your racing in-doors a spool is an essential tuning aid (+ big drive-train weight savings) along with a good set of springs (Ride, HPI).

In the end my personal experience was that it took just as much money, if not a little more, to compete with the fore mentioned cars along with a higher level of commitment to the build. But, it can definitely have it's own rewards taking the path less traveled.

Mike
I agree with about 3/4.

It is NOT a chassis to run lower than a 7.5T motor in. You CAN do it, but you will be at a MAJOR disadvantage. This is a chassis that is balanced better than many I have raced, but its balanced the opposite of every chassis I have raced. so there is a definite learning curve. I reccomend racing VTA, RCGT(what I race) and similar 13.5-21.5 turn motors.

I have yet to race against other people, being as how I am still very limited on time and still dialing in the car, but my lap times are within the range for the class. Theres a huge difference in handling with the vertical and IFS setup, and you just need to find what will help you. The IFS bodies(why else would you run the IFSsetup?!) are not roar legal, which is the main (and only) benefit of this chassis. I am sure the Exotek version will fix many issues (weight, Servo sticking nearly 2" out, felx-but that is solved with the Tamiya carbon reinforced parts)
Old 10-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

$11.42!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
yea, definately time to bust out with the dremel.

my battery i am running is Dimensions: 134mm x 45mm x 23mm and its snug.

69.1 x 46.48 x 24.9= 138mm x 92mm x 50mm (too big)
68.9 x 46.32 x 31.73 = 137.8 x 92mm x 64mm (still too big.)
Really trying to figure out if this car is worth it being that TC5R/JRXS-R are going for $150 on here. I think the only other car that has battery in middle would be the Team Magic car... Hmmm
Old 10-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Tigermoth v10 http://tigermothracing.com/products_10.html
has also the battery in the middle of the car.
This car (I mean ta06) is superb to drive and it is very easy to handle.
Jerzi
Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This is the one my friend told me about but for the life of me I couldn't remember the name - Thank You! but where do you buy it and how much?

Originally Posted by jerzi
Tigermoth v10 http://tigermothracing.com/products_10.html
has also the battery in the middle of the car.
This car (I mean ta06) is superb to drive and it is very easy to handle.
Jerzi
Old 10-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SNIPR
This is the one my friend told me about but for the life of me I couldn't remember the name - Thank You! but where do you buy it and how much?
Buy the ta06, great buy.
Jerzi
Old 10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
I spent almost 2 hours last night building my rear dif (beginning of the kit).
I am wondering though I the kit come with a pinion for the motor I choose to put there or, it this something I need to purchase separately such as the tires ? - I hate the Phillips screws... I cannot wait for my TI stuff.

In regards to building the dif (rear). the instructions ask to fill it up with differential oil, however after looking at the bags that came with the car, I only saw a CLEAR "damper oil" which I am presuming it the "dif oil" and another bottle of yellowish "damper oil in the back with the shocks."

Can someone tell me if I am in the right direction please? also what weight is this dif and damper oil in the kit?

One more question, Do you guys recommend cleaning the kit bearings (taking the grease out with an ultrasonic cleaner) and just lubing with bearing oil?

Thanks,
My gear diffs are put together loosely. No oil/lube.

As far as the bearings, I wasnt happy with them. after one run they felt grimey, I opted for the Abec 5 stainless. I wish i would have waited for the acer ones.

Whenever i get bearings, i dismantle, sonic clean then put gun oil in it. Not bearing oil. Smooth and if it can handle the heat of a .45 Taurus 24/7 pro, it can hold the heat of a 8 min race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.