Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning agents I should use...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Cleaning agents I should use...

I'm going to do a 100% breakdown of my buggy and I would like to know which cleaner or cleaners I should use. I've searched for answers elsewhere and what I find would be me bringing home a truck load of different cleaners. So I'm asking you guys and am hoping I can get an idea of what I should use. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Simple Green is the single best cleaner for Nitro Powered RC's. I've used Nitro specific stuff that doesn't work as well as Simple Green. I will say I've heard good things about Kal-Guard but I have not used it, so that might be an option for you..
Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

KAL-GARD

Simple Green to clean the chassis.

Kal-Gard for cleaning individual parts. Then hit with prep and shin.....

Cars clean, wifes happy it smells good.

All ends well.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Kal Gard degresser for everything, chassis,diff,arms everything, then a hit with prep n shine and done
Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Or do it on the cheap... Use Pledge, just spray it on a rag thick and wipe everything down except the bearings... Smells good and works really well and everything comes out looking brand new.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ok

If you are taking the whole car apart I recommend the most amazing product, it's called dish soap and hot water and a sponge and a tootbrush....It works realy good on most of it, and the axles and outdrives I use wd40 and a rag...high tec huh...

and for the tires, dish soap and hot water and a toothbrush..

the engine, denatured alcohol is the best....and make sure you oil the engine good after it dries....

You don't need smelly fancy cleaners. Simple green smell makes me want to vomit, I tried it once, and it works ok.....but soap and water seem to clean the best in the kitchen sink, or ultimately in a garage sink with hot water.....

then blast all the water off with an air compressor and spray it lightly with teflon spray and let dry. then everything slides together perfectly and it helps keep the dirt off longer....
Old 06-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
If you are taking the whole car apart I recommend the most amazing product, it's called dish soap and hot water and a sponge and a tootbrush....It works realy good on most of it, and the axles and outdrives I use wd40 and a rag...high tec huh...

and for the tires, dish soap and hot water and a toothbrush..

the engine, denatured alcohol is the best....and make sure you oil the engine good after it dries....

You don't need smelly fancy cleaners. Simple green smell makes me want to vomit, I tried it once, and it works ok.....but soap and water seem to clean the best in the kitchen sink, or ultimately in a garage sink with hot water.....

then blast all the water off with an air compressor and spray it lightly with teflon spray and let dry. then everything slides together perfectly and it helps keep the dirt off longer....
This is the best way for sure. Just don't use WD on the mill when your done, sometimes it mess'es with ano after it heats up.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Dishwasher. Hahahaha

JK I use simple green (lemon), an air compressor, rag and then prep and shine when done. The kalguard degreaser works well but simple green gets the job done just as good.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

And most important.... Elbow grease.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hot water; tide soap; parts cleaning brush; all having a party in the laundry tub.

compressed air to blow things dry of course, no rusty hangovers.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kenpachi1982
I'm going to do a 100% breakdown of my buggy and I would like to know which cleaner or cleaners I should use. I've searched for answers elsewhere and what I find would be me bringing home a truck load of different cleaners. So I'm asking you guys and am hoping I can get an idea of what I should use. Your help is greatly appreciated!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000DZXIJM/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive[/URL][/URL]This is the best I've found. Works better than Pledge and if you get a little on the brakes it really doesn't hurt performance. I try not to get it directly on the brakes, but I really don't worry too much if a little gets on em...Just squirt it all over, brush it around with a paint brush or round UpGrade brush. Let soak for a bit, then use a compressor to blow it off. You will love this stuff. I can't get the link to work, so you can cut and paste it to your browser. It's just Turtlewax Ice Polish.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottyM
Simple Green is the single best cleaner for Nitro Powered RC's. I've used Nitro specific stuff that doesn't work as well as Simple Green. I will say I've heard good things about Kal-Guard but I have not used it, so that might be an option for you..
same here....cheap and it works magic
Old 06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Simple green and water followed by compressed air and wd40. Ive tried everything mentioned and nothing works any better for the money. I do use denatured alcohol on the engine though because I think wd40 can cause damage to its seals

I found that no matter how hard I tried unless I followed with wd40 I got some rusting and bearings were going bad frequently. I also found that if I did my best to remove extra wd40 residue it actually worked as well as Kalgard Prep and Shine or SC1 at repelling new dirt.

Best thing is to remove the radio tray and engine and pipe use low pressure water elbow grease and simple green to clean the rolling chassis. Follow that up with lots of compressed air and a little wd40 then remove the front and rear from the chassis and the shocks to ensure no water is trapped where it will rust. I clean the radio tray with a brush and follow that with a spray of silicone (prep and shine or sc1) for a nice clean shine. I clean the engine with denatured alcohol then spray lightly with silicone. They key is to spray with silicone or wd40 then wipe away as much residue as possible and I blow parts with compressed air and wipe again till its as dry as possible otherwise the dirt will bond with it and make an even bigger mess for next time.

So get a couple spray bottles, some simple green, denatured alcohol, a can of wd40 and some brushes and some rags and go to work.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnny t
hot water; tide soap; parts cleaning brush; all having a party in the laundry tub.

compressed air to blow things dry of course, no rusty hangovers.
So that's where jimbo was.....
Old 07-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

simple green, crc heavy duty silicone spray. i have tried the cheep purple power diluted and it is pretty close to simple green for less than half the cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.