Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
NTC3 Two Speed not shifting or engine problem? >

NTC3 Two Speed not shifting or engine problem?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NTC3 Two Speed not shifting or engine problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default NTC3 Two Speed not shifting or engine problem?

Hey guys so I'm new to this forum. I guess ill give you a low down on my car and whats goin on with it.

So my car has been sitting in the garage for quite a while and one day just decieded to start it back up. I ran about a quart of nitro threw it and I replaced the exhaust (cuz it was crack) and the shocks and wheels.

My car came with a standard one speed tranny. I ordered a new two speed tranny from ebay (since it was cheaper) and installed it myself. Before I installed it, the car was running really well.

So basically this is where I stand now...

Since I had to take out the engine and the carb I guess my settings on the car got messed up. I put everything back at factory settings. Now my car starts but when I hit the brakes it stalls out. (I was told that this was just an idling problem? But when I change the idle needle it still does it). When I accelarate the car to about 1/4 speed it runs fine. But once I go like past 1/2 - 3/4 speed the car just bogs out and dies.

I've called Team Associated many times but they havent really helped me except tell me what the factory settings are. I have a few questions and hopefully someone can help me to figure out this problem

1. All my spurs spin together is that normal with the two speed?

2. It says that I need to put stealth lube between the balls that go into the clutch shoes. I didnt have any so I left it as is. Do you think that it could affect my tranny at all?

3. Since my car dies after a certain RPM, is there anyway that its affected by the tranny? Maybe since the tranny isnt shifting its causing the car to stall out?

Im running out of ideas for what could be wrong with it but im leaning towards the fact that it might be the tranny. I just dont have enough experience with it to know how to fix it. I ordered the stealth lube off ebay so it should arrive sometimes next week.

If anyone has any solutions to this problem it would be great...THANKS!!

Edit: I've read on this forum about other people having a problem with the NTC3 tranny but not like mine =/
Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by philly101
Hey guys so I'm new to this forum. I guess ill give you a low down on my car and whats goin on with it.

So my car has been sitting in the garage for quite a while and one day just decieded to start it back up. I ran about a quart of nitro threw it and I replaced the exhaust (cuz it was crack) and the shocks and wheels.

My car came with a standard one speed tranny. I ordered a new two speed tranny from ebay (since it was cheaper) and installed it myself. Before I installed it, the car was running really well.

So basically this is where I stand now...

Since I had to take out the engine and the carb I guess my settings on the car got messed up. I put everything back at factory settings. Now my car starts but when I hit the brakes it stalls out. (I was told that this was just an idling problem? But when I change the idle needle it still does it). When I accelarate the car to about 1/4 speed it runs fine. But once I go like past 1/2 - 3/4 speed the car just bogs out and dies.

I've called Team Associated many times but they havent really helped me except tell me what the factory settings are. I have a few questions and hopefully someone can help me to figure out this problem

1. All my spurs spin together is that normal with the two speed?

2. It says that I need to put stealth lube between the balls that go into the clutch shoes. I didnt have any so I left it as is. Do you think that it could affect my tranny at all?

3. Since my car dies after a certain RPM, is there anyway that its affected by the tranny? Maybe since the tranny isnt shifting its causing the car to stall out?

Im running out of ideas for what could be wrong with it but im leaning towards the fact that it might be the tranny. I just dont have enough experience with it to know how to fix it. I ordered the stealth lube off ebay so it should arrive sometimes next week.

If anyone has any solutions to this problem it would be great...THANKS!!

Edit: I've read on this forum about other people having a problem with the NTC3 tranny but not like mine =/
If the engine dies when you apply the brakes, take the air filter off and check to make sure the carby isn't being closed when you apply the brakes. If this is the case you will need to adjust the linkages to prevent this from happening!

If the engine bogs down and stall as you start to accelerate it might be too rich on the LSN. You might need to retune the engine, also check the glow plug and see if it alright after it has been sitting for so long.

Hope this helps!

Andrew
Old 05-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks man

Im gonna try what you said and see if it works. I bought a new glow plug and I check it everytime I run the car. Will see what happens when I change the LSN.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks man

Im gonna try what you said and see if it works. I bought a new glow plug and I check it everytime I run the car. Will see what happens when I change the LSN.
Do check the throttle linkages with air filter off the engine cause this sounds like your biggest problem!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

if it stalls when u hit the brakes u will need to adjust your carby throttle stop.

remove the air filter and adjust throttle stop screw till u have ~1mm opening. that should b close to what u need.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

ran these for a few....if it doesn't shift....it could be that you are to fat on the high speed needle.........If the motor doesnt get hot enough....it will never shift.......i run the NT1,but it wont shift until it is warmed up.....

hope that helps.....also make sure your 2 speed is adjusted correctly,or run and adjust it after the car is warmed up!.....
Old 05-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

When adjusting your end points for your carb, you need to look into the opening where the air filter goes and move your throttle open and closed. If you see the carb moving when you apply brakes from neutral you need to adjust it so that when full brakes are applied the there is no movement in the carb. Also same for throttle, you want to adjust the carb so the when you pull the trigger it opens just to the end of the hole wide open and not past it.

Your two speed will not shift if the motor is cold like stated above. You need to generate RPM for this to occur.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Alright, I just got the stealth lube in the mail today so I applied that as it stated in the instruction manual. Now yesterday I was playing around with the throttle linkage and when I apply the brake my carb does move but its like a hair. Would that still make it so the car stalls? How would I go about to changing it so the carb doesnt move when i apply the brake.

Thanks

-Phil
Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Alright, I just got the stealth lube in the mail today so I applied that as it stated in the instruction manual. Now yesterday I was playing around with the throttle linkage and when I apply the brake my carb does move but its like a hair. Would that still make it so the car stalls? How would I go about to changing it so the carb doesnt move when i apply the brake.

Thanks

-Phil
Yes it makes a difference. You can do this two ways.
1. Via radio. Your brake endpoints can tune that out. Increase your brake endpoint while in neutral, then apply brakes. If it still moves repeat until it doesn't.
2. Your linkages.On the opposite of the spring side of your throttle linkage adjust the collar so it adds more pressure to the return.

Your low speed needle is rich. Lean it out.

Can you post a pic of your carb? low and high needles?

This is a great read and has valuable data.
http://hypercentral.18.forumer.com/a...e_post120.html