Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with 1/8 Buggy For A Beginner???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Help with 1/8 Buggy For A Beginner???

Hey guys, I have read a lot on here and am wanting to get into racing and really like the 1/8 buggy the best. I have had many many nitro vehicles over the past 10 years and am pretty affluent in my knowledge compared to beginning racers. I really don't have a budget but I think would like to keep it to the $500 - 600 mark to get started in racing. Tell me the pros and cons and a good buggy to get started. By the way, I do already have the DX3R Pro radio in my Revo, so I would just need a receiver if I go with a kit. Is there a big difference in the Associated RC8B compared to the RTR? I was thinking about these models:

Associated RC8B Factory Team

Associated RC8 RTR

Losi 810 RTR

Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR

I do not know that much about buggies so please enlighhten me about which one is the best, choose these because availability of parts.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

I posted a thread here (1/8 buggy) I spent over a $1000 on the eight 2.0 kit,servos, OS .21xz-b engine ane the Losi re10 pipe. If I had a limited budget I would go for the Losi eight 2.0 ready to run.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

I dont really have a limited budget either. I have spent about a $1000 on my Revo in hte last week getting it ready to race at the local track also. Although, I am leaning toward the Losi RTR too. The only hting that has me thinking is that I already have the DX3R Pro system in the Revo, so if I buy a kit and get a receiver, I can use the transmitter for both. Although the RTR for $699 is pretty good for everything it comes with. How does the RTR compare to the kits as far as chassis and parts?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

the rtr is good just need to replace servos and rx battery.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Befor you buy anything I would like to see you going to the track and see'ing what there running. And talk to the guys but don't let the fan boys win the day. See who you like and will help with set-ups and start from there. The first year in all about learning about it and having fun. After all big boys,toy cars,pile of durt. I'm just saying....
Old 04-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Working Man
Befor you buy anything I would like to see you going to the track and see'ing what there running. And talk to the guys but don't let the fan boys win the day. See who you like and will help with set-ups and start from there. The first year in all about learning about it and having fun. After all big boys,toy cars,pile of durt. I'm just saying....
fan boys? just what are you saying???
Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Yep, I have done that and it is all accross the board at local tracks. There is high end and expensive Mugen and Kyosho Infernos to RTR low end Ofna's. I am looking for more general awnsers like Losi are faster out of the box, but Associated are more durable, etc.... I am leaning toward an Associated RC8 because i have a Spektrum radio already and just need servo, engine, receiver, however the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR is attractive because it comes with a starter box and I could sell the radio it comes with. How does the Associated RC8 durability and chassis compare to the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I bought my son a rtr losi and he won sportsman buggy amain with it this past weekend and it was bone stock with the servos and rx pack the servos are slow and only 140oz of tourge but they worked fine and it was a 30minute main.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

If u plan on getting serious and you are not familiar with these cars, I HIGHLY recommend getting a kit and not rtr.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

All right lets not worry about an engine right now, which would be a better platform and chassis right out of the box?

Associated RC8 Factory Team Kit

Team Losi 8ight 2.0 Buggy Kit?

Anybody out there have experience with both kits by chance?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

If you wanna race and dont have a budget, I wont get none of those..... Build one......
Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

You really not stating if this is for bashing or racing. If it's for racing, I say the following:

Mugen mbx6 (take some good setup, yet good support)
Serpent s811 (I hear it's a really good handling car)
Xray 808 2011 spec (I hear good things of this as well)
Mp9 (costly)

Also, go with the most popular car at your track that does well! That way u can get good help!

But like I said, if u racing, DO NOT GET A RTR! BUILD IT!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Just to keep it simple, I am going to go with one of the two kits mentioned above. With all my nitro trucks I completely take them apart and put thread lock on them and put them back together, so I could build one but am going to keep it simple. Is one really better than the other, or will the Losi and Associated be about the same out of the box? Am thinking along the lines of the Werks B6 for power.

P.S. My budget just went from $600 to $1000 real quick when looking at buying good servos and engine!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Teeforb, sorry this will be for racing only, plenty of other vehicles to go bashing with. I have narrowed it down to Losi and Associated based on support and part availability in our area. I did look into the options you described, although I haven't totally ruled out those options. I want something that will be competitive at the track, but I do not have to have the absolute very best. I plan on going out to a couple tracks in our area and running a lot of practice laps over the next month to get some experience then start getting into racing.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I think if your racing get a kit. Both are awesome kits, the reason why you get a kit instead of a RTR is they come with a little bit better upgraded parts already for example Associated RTR doesnt have Big Bore Shocks like the kit does. Thats 80 bucks right there to change that out. Motors are cheap for the most part as long as you dont need to have a 500.00 speed or whatever. 200.00 engines keep up with the big boys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.