Wiki Posts
Search

tell me what 1/8th scale car is good for 1st timer

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default tell me what 1/8th scale car is good for 1st timer

Guys/gals what car would you reccomend for a new to 1/8th on road nitro also engine/pipe with money not being a problem..I guess I could just buy the most expensive kit/engine but im also askin about ease of setting up the car and part avalibility..etc
ty for your replys and help
dnf don
Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go a Mugen MRX4 or 4R or 4X. It really doesn't matter which one they are all that similar. They are built like a tank, have a wide sweet spot and spares are available all over ebay real cheap at the moment.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If money is not an issue, then surely the MRX5 Mugen is the better/newer option now, with it helping that it just won the worlds, and placed second, with 5 in the top 10, and 10 in the top 18 I think.

Now watch all the other brand fans coming rushing in to defend against that...
Old 04-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Tech Regular

The 5 is a bit more fragile than the 4 tho so wouldn't you think the 4 would be better for an 1/8 scale virgin?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 1st time Eighth driver recommendation

I agree with the opinion expressed by azcau. The 4 will survive hitting the sideboards better with fewer broken parts than the 5 would. Once you get some skills in driving then trading up to the MRX5 would still be an option.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default first car

your best bet is to go to the local track and see what the other racers are driveing and then check with the local hobby shop to see what parts if any that they carry , at the track i just started at last year which i only raced in 3 of the races ( at the end of season ) the guys were more then willing to help out with setup and advice and there is a guy that had parts there for the cars that i had purchased off the racers , so that made it easy for me and now im looking forward to a fun summer racing in as many of the races that i can get to . as far as a motor goes i see alot of the nova's at the local track and sean there was alot at the wc so hope this helps being im a newb to good luck and listen to what the old timers are telling you ,
Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Angry picco blues

i am semi new to 1/8th, having carb prob with my picco 21 its a bit older came with a used 950. put it in a new 966 won't idle and if i can keep it going no bottom end response. club guys say picco is a real pain but i just want too get my moneys worth from it.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 5italkart
i am semi new to 1/8th, having carb prob with my picco 21 its a bit older came with a used 950. put it in a new 966 won't idle and if i can keep it going no bottom end response. club guys say picco is a real pain but i just want too get my moneys worth from it.
Picco carb and engines are holley carbs!!! Difficult to adjust!! Get it adjusted, 2nd run ya gotta re adjust!!! lol!!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2056dennis
your best bet is to go to the local track and see what the other racers are driveing and then check with the local hobby shop to see what parts if any that they carry , at the track i just started at last year which i only raced in 3 of the races ( at the end of season ) the guys were more then willing to help out with setup and advice and there is a guy that had parts there for the cars that i had purchased off the racers , so that made it easy for me and now im looking forward to a fun summer racing in as many of the races that i can get to . as far as a motor goes i see alot of the nova's at the local track and sean there was alot at the wc so hope this helps being im a newb to good luck and listen to what the old timers are telling you ,
+1 on this comment.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2056dennis
+2 on this advise
Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ok all thanks for all the info ill wait 2 weeks till onroad opens up over here at liesure hrs raceway in joliet illinois and talk to the guys that are alrdy running and see what they say
ty again
Dnf don
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default Motor recommendation

Originally Posted by Dnf Don
Guys/gals what car would you reccomend for a new to 1/8th on road nitro also engine/pipe with money not being a problem..
Don, I would have a good look at the OS XZ-R motor and T-2080 pipe combo for your new 1/8th onroad. They go very well indeed and OS engines are notoriously reliable and easy to tune, especially for people new in the sport. Also, OS will shortly be releasing their XZ-R Speed, as run by Atsushi hara & others in the Worlds just last week.

Just take your time on the run in, as with any motor, taking care in the beginning will pay off in the end!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Default picco

Originally Posted by Geezatec
Picco carb and engines are holley carbs!!! Difficult to adjust!! Get it adjusted, 2nd run ya gotta re adjust!!! lol!!
forget it i'm gettin a nova rossi never a headache in my impact
Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

And the advice about looking into local support is the winner. Can't go wrong that way. You will need spare parts, better when it's available.
The board should have a sticky thread, some thing like "your first whatever should be...", and explain this. Just a thought!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dnf Don
Ok all thanks for all the info ill wait 2 weeks till onroad opens up over here at liesure hrs raceway in joliet illinois and talk to the guys that are alrdy running and see what they say
ty again
Dnf don
I have a MRX-4X with the wide belt front conversion...shortened wheelbase and a ton of new spare parts I am looking to sell if you are interested.

The front wide belt conversion is no longer available but the pulley on it is in good shape...this is a very rare modification and it REALLY helps eliminate front belt stripping...PERFECT for beginners in 8th scale onroad.

PM if you are interested in the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.