Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 184 (99%+)

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p81-004.jpg

can't wait to run @ surf city i hope i can race with the gt8
Old 01-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I was originally planning to run DM-1 shock towers in my Jammin conversion since they both use the same bulkhead, but then decided to use modified X2 towers. After kicking that around for awhile and also changing my shock choice (from 1/8 buggy fronts to Revo shocks) I finally found the perfect towers, which are from the IGT.

The IGT towers bolt right up to the Jammin bulkheads, since they are almost identical. There are only two small mods that had to be done. One was adding a tiny amount of clearance on both the front and rear towers, and was about 30 seconds of filing, VERY tiny amount of material removed (see pic 1, highlighted in yellow)

The second change was that the hingepin holes in the IGT front tower didn't line up quite right with the Jammin upper hingepin holder. I just decided to get rid of the front upper arms and hingepins altogether, and use a turnbuckle setup instead. Already had the parts in my spares bin. (see pic 2)

So now the towers are all set, and seem just about perfect for the Revo shocks with all mounting holes usable for plenty of adjustment. And the body mounts can be placed on the stock IGT tower locations rather than me guessing with the modded X2 towers, so I know the bodies will go on right. I'm going to run the plastic towers for now, but I'll definitely be saving up for a set of CF IGT towers.
Attached Thumbnails GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030200.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030199.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

That's looking real good!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simplechamp
I was originally planning to run DM-1 shock towers in my Jammin conversion since they both use the same bulkhead, but then decided to use modified X2 towers. After kicking that around for awhile and also changing my shock choice (from 1/8 buggy fronts to Revo shocks) I finally found the perfect towers, which are from the IGT.

The IGT towers bolt right up to the Jammin bulkheads, since they are almost identical. There are only two small mods that had to be done. One was adding a tiny amount of clearance on both the front and rear towers, and was about 30 seconds of filing, VERY tiny amount of material removed (see pic 1, highlighted in yellow)

The second change was that the hingepin holes in the IGT front tower didn't line up quite right with the Jammin upper hingepin holder. I just decided to get rid of the front upper arms and hingepins altogether, and use a turnbuckle setup instead. Already had the parts in my spares bin. (see pic 2)

So now the towers are all set, and seem just about perfect for the Revo shocks with all mounting holes usable for plenty of adjustment. And the body mounts can be placed on the stock IGT tower locations rather than me guessing with the modded X2 towers, so I know the bodies will go on right. I'm going to run the plastic towers for now, but I'll definitely be saving up for a set of CF IGT towers.
Where did you get those shock towers

Glad they worked out!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

You're quite the innovative one simplechamp. Can't wait to see your final product.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

Thanks again Bill for hooking me up with the towers, they are pretty much the perfect tower for converting a Jammin. Can't wait to get a set of the CF ones

And thank you everyone else too for all the help and kind words. I've spent a long time admiring all of your guys awesome rides, it's nice to join the club!

Last edited by simplechamp; 01-29-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default dm-1 spec

hello all,
i have a dm-1 spec and bought the MAX VELOCITY RACING MVR12676 CARBON FIBER FRONT STANDUP SHOCK TOWER, and was wonder which front shocks to use because the front kit shocks don't reach all the holes on the shock tower, and limits my options.

thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

The Max Velocity page says the stock shocks should work fine with that tower, although I can't say I have one to check myself.

Bill from IGT Hobbies carries the Max Velocity stuff now, so he can probably help you out with an answer. He posts in this thread often, or you can PM him, username "WildBillMassey"
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jekyll08
hello all,
i have a dm-1 spec and bought the MAX VELOCITY RACING MVR12676 CARBON FIBER FRONT STANDUP SHOCK TOWER, and was wonder which front shocks to use because the front kit shocks don't reach all the holes on the shock tower, and limits my options.

thanks
Contact Paul at Max Velocity, they have a new shock tower that addresses that issue, and they will swap the one you have for free.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TPhalen
Actually, this is the Losi L8ight Model. Good thing about this car is that it already comes with all the body mounts!

It's a Viper 1:8 scale motor. I've run a few of these in my 1:10th scale cars and they are BALLS-FAST! A quick spool up on the bench and this thing screams! Can't wait to put it down on the track!

The shocks are the stock L8ight Model shocks...big bores. Not sure on my spring setup yet but I'm working on it.

Gonna start hitting all of Charlies outdoor races to get some more time on the car. Final build will be in an upcoming issue of RC Driver magazine.
Hey Tony,

Those Viper motors look very similar to Tekin?
Old 01-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The Viper motor is nothing like the Tekin. I would say that it's more like the Novak 1/8 4 pole motors when you consider the ability to rebuild the motor.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

The color scheme is similar, but that is where it ends. Unfortunately I think many people will "judge a book by it's cover" and give the Viper 1/8 an unfair opinion because of the color scheme. Personally I can't wait to buy one!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

The color scheme is similar, but that is where it ends. Unfortunately I think many people will "judge a book by it's cover" and give the Viper 1/8 an unfair opinion because of the color scheme. Personally I can't wait to buy one!
If it performs .. Well .... that's all that matters!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jekyll08
hello all,

thanks
You stock shocks will fit fine. You may have bought the wrong towers. My Max Velocity Front Tower has 8 possible positions to mount the front shocks onto. Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

So are you saying that Tekin is no good in a round about way??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.