Wiki Posts
Search

What type of plug is this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default What type of plug is this?

Hello all,
I'm trying to use the power supply that came with my old Duratrax IntelliPeak Digital Pulse Charger for my new Turnigy Max80W charger.

The problem I'm having is so far I've been unable to disassemble the old lead connectors. I've also been unable to identify them so as to purchase new ones. I've included a picture any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Derrick
Attached Thumbnails What type of plug is this?-connector.jpg  
Old 12-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Looks like a Tamiya male which is sometimes called a 'standard' connector. The puzzling thing is the clip on the side, I've never seen one on the side like that. This one is typical, clip is in the middle.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNGB6&P=ML

They're not the greatest connector, tend to get sof t and melt at high current. I'd replace it with something more convienent to use.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Initiate

I've got some Tamiya males, this is smaller and like you noted the clip is on the side. Also the half circle point in towards the square instead of down.

I would change the plug if I could but it plugs directly into the power supply. Also it shouldn't be too important it only needs to support 7 amps for the charger.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

the clip on the side is a "lock" clip

when both plugs are put together the "lock" click you see in this photo will "lock" to the other side of the plug so it doesn't get ripped apart easily
Old 12-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Tech Lord

Its not a mini Tamiya either - I have those on plane batteries and that has a full circle and a square connector guide, latch or clip is in the middle like standard tamiya.

You might email DTX and ask them what that is and where you might find one.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I'd ditch that connector (don't worry about taking it apart, cut it right off) and go with something like 4mm banana plugs or Dean's Ultra T-plugs.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Duster_360
You might email DTX and ask them what that is and where you might find one.
Thanks for the idea, e-mail sent.

Originally Posted by simplechamp
I'd ditch that connector (don't worry about taking it apart, cut it right off) and go with something like 4mm banana plugs or Dean's Ultra T-plugs.
I'm not looking to use it to charge the battery, I'm looking to use it to plug the charger into the power supply. That plug will never go on my car, but if I could locate a new one it would help in plugging my charger into the wall.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Right, I know it's for connecting the PSU to the charger. I just think it would be probably just easier to switch to a more common and available plug than search all over to find a match for the one on there, given that it is subpar compared to other plugs available anyway.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by simplechamp
Right, I know it's for connecting the PSU to the charger. I just think it would be probably just easier to switch to a more common and available plug than search all over to find a match for the one on there, given that it is subpar compared to other plugs available anyway.
Only problem is the PSU doesn't have wires coming out of it, just an opening where you insert that plug.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Oohhhhh.... OK, I thought there were wires coming out of PSU with that plug on the end. Now I see why you need to match it. Should have read a bit closer in your other post!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:46 AM
Tech Regular

You could always try taking the PSU apart and putting a cable on the back of that socket, then put any plug you want on it.. even one that plugs directly into the turnigy
Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Well Duratrax replied to my e-mail, they claim it's called a standard connector and online stores and LHS' should carry them. I don't know if mine's older then most and they changed their product somewhere along the line or if they were confused by me e-mail and thought I was talking about the outputs?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

They must be confused, the "standard" tamiya connector has been around for something like 30 years and what you have isn't it.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Lord

Since you're emailing, reply back to them and maybe include the pic and point out it is not the standard connector and why. If you can't find out, your options are dwindling.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Since you're emailing, reply back to them and maybe include the pic and point out it is not the standard connector and why. If you can't find out, your options are dwindling.
Yeah it seems that way, Mouser sells thousands of these things but they don't all have pictures and without a p/n it's pretty hard to navigate their web page.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.