Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated TC5 >

Team Associated TC5

Team Associated TC5

Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spongerX
My diffs have a bit of play with the recommended 1 shim per side as well. Not as much as 1mm though.

As for the tight belts did the previous owner run mod? They might have been tight to stop the belts skipping with a high power motor. If you're running a higher turn motor just adjust the cams so the belt is looser. I run mine fairly loose with a 13.5.

Okay, thanks. I busted out the calipers last night and checked everything, and it all seems to line up. There is in fact play in both diffs, I just couldnt tell because of the belt tension. It's also not quite a mm, maybe half a mm. I will just leave it.

Regarding belt tension, I don't know what the previous owner ran it in, but it probably was mod. I'll loosen them up a bit. Thanks.

Oh, and while I'm at it, is there some sort of master guide to setting this thing up? There are so many adjustments on this car, and I don't know what some of them do..
Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wtcc
That is normal, not nice but normal. If you use the original AE belt you should change to Yokomo belts they are better in this case.
Only the front belt is compatible correct? And does it actually make a big difference?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Guys, I realize this is a stupid noob question, but that never stopped me before.

Can you explain to me WHY you would run specific front axles for different tracks? I searched and found a lot of setups listing WHAT people ran, but not necessarily WHY. I assume in most cases people run a diff in the back, but if you have a reason for running something else, please let me know!

For example, apparently spool is the way to go in front for an asphalt/rubber track, which is what I plan to run primarily. How is having basically a solid axle an advantage over a diff? Is it for better braking? I would think it would cause oversteer when accelerating and exiting curves. I get the more power to the tires part, but don't you get slippage for one tire because it's a SOLID axle??

Why run a one-way? That would give the power of a spool, but no braking up front, right?

Just trying to get my mind around it. Please be gentle... (and speak slowly and use small words!!)
Old 10-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

The front spool will basically give more steering, you just have to compensate for the oversteer.

If you want to learn about the advantages/disadvantages of each, hudy has a downloadable setup book that explains everything.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I know this may be wrong to ask here but does anyone have a black anti roll bar for this car they want to get rid of? I am looking for one and my LHS doesnt have them.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

C Money...
I have them for sell PM with your offer.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Warren Weaver
here is the pics i will be testing it this weekend it might end up in the rear.
bd5 spec r gear diff
Hi!

What cvd axles you put there?

And how tc5 does with gear diff at front?

m.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Those are litemodz,and the car was awesome with the front gear diff it had tons of steering so i tightened the rear up and the car was balistic it steered more consitent and still had plenty off the corners i was amazed how fast it went through the chicanes and pulled all the way down the straight,also was very forgiving in the turns once i calmed the rear end down.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Warren Weaver
Those are litemodz,and the car was awesome with the front gear diff it had tons of steering so i tightened the rear up and the car was balistic it steered more consitent and still had plenty off the corners i was amazed how fast it went through the chicanes and pulled all the way down the straight,also was very forgiving in the turns once i calmed the rear end down.
How long this cvs are then ae ones?

Or ae will fit without problems?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Same length i just run them because of weight reduction,who do i need to get in touch for those black anodized bulkheads i used the link you posted but it goes to this page?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TAorama
Guys, I realize this is a stupid noob question, but that never stopped me before.

Can you explain to me WHY you would run specific front axles for different tracks? I searched and found a lot of setups listing WHAT people ran, but not necessarily WHY. I assume in most cases people run a diff in the back, but if you have a reason for running something else, please let me know!

For example, apparently spool is the way to go in front for an asphalt/rubber track, which is what I plan to run primarily. How is having basically a solid axle an advantage over a diff? Is it for better braking? I would think it would cause oversteer when accelerating and exiting curves. I get the more power to the tires part, but don't you get slippage for one tire because it's a SOLID axle??

Why run a one-way? That would give the power of a spool, but no braking up front, right?

Just trying to get my mind around it. Please be gentle... (and speak slowly and use small words!!)
The type of front axle is mainly still down to personal preference, I know a lot of fast guys who still run diffs on asphalt. As for the differences, I look at it like this;

A front diff will make the car drive 'neutral', i.e. it will brake, turn in and exit the corner as you would expect, it is preferred on high grip surfaces, mainly foams on carpet because a spool will wreck your drivetrain pretty fast and you benefit less from the turning of the spool.

A spool is generally considered to be faster on asphalt and perhaps rubber on carpet however you have to chage your driving style quite a bit to get the most out of it. Since the front axle is locked with a spool, the car doesn't want to turn into a corner, or turn off-power. However on-power the car basically goes where you point it, and turns much more than with a diff.
You have to then brake normally, the car will understeer a bit and as soon as you are done braking, get back onto the throttle mid-corner, not full throttle, maybe half and the car will react by turning more. On corner exit you you can get on the power much earlier as the front drags the car round and out.
In my experience this gets you round the corner quicker. In addition you should have stronger braking with a spool though if your diffs are tight enough you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

A one-way is another beast altogether, it has better turn-in than a diff and the mid corner and corner exit benefits of a spool however you can't brake hard at all, since the front wheel dont brake. If you do brake too hard the car will just spin. In my experience, very hard to drive if there are any reasonably hard braking points at all.
The super turn in and lack of braking makes this very different to drive again, but drivers can make them work.

So all in all, a spool is faster for most tracks, but it is ultimately down to driver style and preference.

Regards

Neal
Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default No TC5 Manual

Any idea why there wouldn't be a manual online for the TC5 on AE's website? Is it a modified TC4 so everything else is the same?

Nevermind! As I was typing this I tried typing in tc5 into the adress and it got me there.

Here's the link: http://www.teamassociated.com/manuals/tc5
Old 10-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TAorama

You need the XXX Main RC Chassis set up book and the Hudy manual. It not only answers all of your questions, but the XXX Main book has a perfect flowchart for troubleshooting and correcting handling issues. Best $$$ on set up you'll ever spend.

Originally Posted by Tbizz
Any idea why there wouldn't be a manual online for the TC5 on AE's website? Is it a modified TC4 so everything else is the same?

Nevermind! As I was typing this I tried typing in tc5 into the adress and it got me there.

Here's the link: http://www.teamassociated.com/manuals/tc5
AE is on a campaign to clean up their web page. You'll find the old models under the "Discontinued" tab on the lower left
Old 10-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Btw, anyone try this cvd?
http://www.raceport.de/e-Shop/produc...oducts_id=1671

From BD5 at tc5?

:-)
Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I'm looking for an Exotek TC5-X chassis. Anyone have one they want to part with?

Yes I know I can get one at Exotek but I'm looking to save some money for a low interest class at this point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.