Wiki Posts
Search

Need advise - New to Nitro Buggies

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Need advise - New to Nitro Buggies

Hi

Use to own a hotshot/Hornet years ago and really enjoyed the hobbie back then. Now that I've moved to Melb, and bored S***less... I thought I might take up the hobbie again. But wanna go Nitro

For a newbie to Nitro, what would you recommend for a first kit?
I want to get into competition racing eventually.

I'm thinking Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR and slowly learn about Nitro and hop up parts as I go

or

should I go spend the $ and get a decent kit for racing
Losi 8ight Race Roller
OS SPEED 21VZ-B V-SPEC II
DX3R + High Torque Servos?

Read alot of good reviews about Losi...thats why they are my first choice. Open for recommendations of other brands.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I would start off by heading up to where you plan on running like your local club to which you would join. Ask a few questions have a wonder through the pits and just see what most are using contact you local hobby shop and see what they have to offer, I always recommend the local hobby shop to new people at our club as the information you can receive is more valuable to the discount you will get online and perhaps buying the wrong stuff and not quiet having the stuff that suits your needs from the online store.

Yes the Losi kit is a great starting platform with all the gear, But there are many on the market and really the choice is yours at the end of the day. We run Xray and have been for the last 5 years and are real happy with them. Some will say don't buy this because they need this and that truth is no kit is perfect out of the box they all have there strengths and weaknesses that's what makes the racing more fun...

Good luck in your choice...
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'd agree with previous post. Best to find out what locals are running. Let's say you buy the Losi, go to the local track only to find out Mugen is heavily favored there. No one to get set up tips from, no one to "scam" :P spare parts from when you break, etc. Also regarding the engine...if you do purchase a kit and everything else seperate. DO NOT waste your hard earned dollar on that OS!!! Yes, it IS a great engine. Please don't think I am knocking it. But as your first Nitro mill, IMO, it could be a huge and costly mistake as an engine to learn on. You're better off looking at engines such as the Werks B6, Jammin JPX, or Alpha Plus mills.These will give you every bit as much performance yet be sooo much more forgiving on the wallet.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Truly its all about what you want to do, as always try to buy what your lhs stocks part for. Losi is great and they hold up well worth the money. But me I would get a truggy its a lot easier to learn and more forgiving on crashing. but both are great and just make sure you have fun with whatever you choose.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I wouldnt go the rtr route for the losi because the servos wont last in the rtr and the engine will need to be replace to competivly race. The engine is a good sport engine and club racer but i wouldnt do much more with it. Now for the kit idea, getting a speed is pointless for a new guy when there are engines around 280 bucks with a pipe that are just as good. I would look into a alpha engine and pipe combo or a werks b6 or for more power a b5 with werks pipe.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

It all really depends on how serious you want to get. The 8B 2.0 RTR is a great place to start, you get a good starter box and decent radio with it. Only issue with that set-up as with any RTR is the servos. When the time comes to upgrade the servos, do yourself a favor and use high quality futaba or hitec servos. The Futaba BLS452 is a great servo for steering and throttle/brake for just under $100us.

A friend told me when i started into 1/8 nitro, "you buy junk, you buy twice"

The above advice about engines is on point. I would NOT get a V-spec as a first nitro engine, there are plenty of good engines for $200-$250, until you learn don't flush $400 down the toilet. study and read the break in bible and tuning bible stickied at the top of the forum and you should be fine.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

Default Don't buy all the hype.

I bought an RTR to start with and while it was nice to get everything I was bitten by the racing bug and now have twice as much in trying to upgrade my RTR to the kit specs. If your competitive and love to race I would buy as I go and get a kit to start with. But, don't buy a high end motor to learn tuning and break-in on. My buddy has went thru 5 motors in 6 months while we were learning to tune properly. If those were Speeds that would be 2500 in mistakes... see my point. Don't skimp on the servos tho. Buy hitec and be done with it. Best advice I ever got on here. Feel free to PM me as I'm 6 months in and will give you HONEST opinions and advice on the hobby. You get a lot of people just suggesting what they run on here.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If losi is strong in your area the 2.0 RTR kit is a good plan. Other wise just go with whatever is popular in your area. think parts and setup advise. with motor go cheap, by the time you figure out what your doing a new motor, if not a whole another car, will be in order.

go ahead and spend big on radio gear, that actually makes more of a difference than anything right now and is a long term investment. Sanwa, KO, Futaba. don't matter, buy whatever is most comfortable in your hand.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Filthyfil
Hi

Use to own a hotshot/Hornet years ago and really enjoyed the hobbie back then. Now that I've moved to Melb, and bored S***less... I thought I might take up the hobbie again. But wanna go Nitro

For a newbie to Nitro, what would you recommend for a first kit?
I want to get into competition racing eventually.

I'm thinking Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR and slowly learn about Nitro and hop up parts as I go

or

should I go spend the $ and get a decent kit for racing
Losi 8ight Race Roller
OS SPEED 21VZ-B V-SPEC II
DX3R + High Torque Servos?

Read alot of good reviews about Losi...thats why they are my first choice. Open for recommendations of other brands.
as someone else said dont go to o.s
come to the Go-engines side.You'll never look back.
the werks engines are nice. not as fast as the gx7r but then again even the o.s speed cant outrev the 7 port from go engines
Old 08-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by johnny t
If losi is strong in your area the 2.0 RTR kit is a good plan. Other wise just go with whatever is popular in your area. think parts and setup advise. with motor go cheap, by the time you figure out what your doing a new motor, if not a whole another car, will be in order.

go ahead and spend big on radio gear, that actually makes more of a difference than anything right now and is a long term investment. Sanwa, KO, Futaba. don't matter, buy whatever is most comfortable in your hand.
a radio does not make you good. the radio was the last thing i did.
i had a JR Xs3 for years. yet im still consistant and podium every race.

only reason i "upgraded" was the smaller recievers...

TIP: learn to drive with an older radio something like i mentioned above.
will make you alot better. then again, i see more expensive 2.4ghz systems braking down too.. you cant go wrong with jr xs3. huge range. crystaless 6 channel FM, 3 channel radio system. i owned mine for 2-3 years. never had one glitch.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default My opinion......

To start off. I would go ahead and get a race buggy to build, it helps, and don't get an all out race engine or a cheap one either. For example,

a Mugen, Associated, or losi or whatever buggy you choose is around 5-600 bucks...

Add an engine that you can learn to drive easier like a Nova .21Bf 3 port 150 bucks.
If you just want a super engine, get one for when your ready. It never hurts to romp on a 3 port and keep the sweet engine in good shape.....
7955 Hitech servo for steering and a fast lower priced servo for throttle

Dynamite 053 pipe 50 bucks

Airtronics mx-3x radio 200 bucks

You don't have to buy the most expensive stuff, but do get a good race buggy.....and a proven engine like Nova, werks...etc....If you really like OS then get the Ninja or wait for the new OS coming out soon I think.....
Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

When I got into the Nitro scene I bought an RTR Truggy and it waqs Alright I spent a few bucks on some upgraded parts, and then I upgraded the servos and Radio equipment, and then a motor, but by that time the truck was done and it was turning into a money pit to keep it up to racing standards. I think Buying a kit first off is a good thing it teachs you how the car is built and how everything works. Which comes in handy when you have to replace something then you know how to take it apart. As for Motor and electronics there are plenty of Radios out there for under $200 that will last you a long time. I run Futaba Radio's with Hitec servos and I have never had a problem. As for a Motor I agre with everyone dont go out and spend big bucks on a Motor get something entry level and learn how to tune on it and then make it a backup motor and then get something with quite a bit more power.

Everyone has their opinions on car manufacturers. They are all decent and they all handle differnetly. Somecars fit peoples driving styles better than others. I am not a Losi fan I run Mugen cars and they are tough and handle great, but some may say other wise thoguh.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

I still agree with my first post and the 2 above this. AND again. Don't hesitate to PM me as someone who hasn't been in very long I still remember all the mistakes I made unlike someone who's been in for years.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 808gx7r
a radio does not make you good. the radio was the last thing i did.
i had a JR Xs3 for years. yet im still consistant and podium every race.

only reason i "upgraded" was the smaller recievers...

I only said so because an expensive radio won't go to waste like a top end motor or chassis. And it is something that does not necessarily "wear out". I figure pay for the radio once than say twice with an "upgrade". As yourself admitted to pretty much.

If Filthy wants to spend $$$ somewhere that would really be it. Radio....and tools, gotta have a complete tool kit, that probably costs the most....
Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

+1 on go engines. I was able to buy 3 of them on ebay for less than $160 shipped to my door. I got 1 3 port (barely used), 1 5 port (needed repinched costed me $30, now its like new), and a brand new in the box 7 port. Thats 3 rock solid engines for a $100 less than any decent engine thats comparable.

Imo if you plan on getting into truggy and buggys, then go with losi. You can change engines between them without changing a thing and some parts are interchangeable between them. If you are just going to run a buggy and have no plans on running truggy then go with whatever you feel comfortable with. But i can say i've got losi's and couldn't be happier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.