Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
fly wheel keeps coming loose >

fly wheel keeps coming loose

fly wheel keeps coming loose

Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? fly wheel keeps coming loose

everytime i try to start my new engine the flywheel comes loose. i have the washer thing the flywheel and that nut but dont have a wrench so i just use plyers and hold the flywheel. but it wont stay tight!!!!!!!!! and does anyone know how to get stripped allen screw off a ezy start
Old 07-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Locktite the nut and get it TIGHT. You might want to get a new collet too.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get a good glow plug wrench, the one by team losi also has a 17mm wheel nut removing tool on the side. Use the end that goes onto the glow plug to turn the nut tight. Hold onto the flywheel with pliers (c channel with paper towel between the pliers and flywheel to prevent scratching) and then really put some force on it to get it tight. You may even insert a screwdriver into one of the ends of the [T] wrench to get more torque.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
Get a good glow plug wrench, the one by team losi also has a 17mm wheel nut removing tool on the side. Use the end that goes onto the glow plug to turn the nut tight. Hold onto the flywheel with pliers (c channel with paper towel between the pliers and flywheel to prevent scratching) and then really put some force on it to get it tight. You may even insert a screwdriver into one of the ends of the [T] wrench to get more torque.
Ok, just adding some insight here. I would not use a screwdriver in the end of the T wrench. I have personally snapped a crank this way. But I suppose you get the point. It needs to be tight.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah i don't know his hand strength so i was just adding that he could do that if he feels its not tight enough with just the t wrench. But yeah if you are of average strength then just tightening it with the t wrench should be good enough.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would look at the collet. You may need a thinker one. I have never used locktite on a clutch nut.
I have never used anything but channel locks and a wheel wrench.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking clutch

Hi there. I think checking all parts to see if they fit correctly.

Start with the clutch collet. Does if fit in the back side of the flywheel. IF you put the collet on the motor and press the flywheel on the collet, it should stay on. IF it moves (falls off, the you need a new collet. IF you press and hold it on and can turn it and the motor doesn't turn over (flywheel slips) need to replace)

IF all holds, then add the lock nut. If the flywheel has been ground down where the nut fits, you might have bottomed the nut out. It will never fit.

A new flywheel is needed.

check to make sure after assembly, there is minimal movement of clutch bell.

Locktite should not be needed on lock nut. Maybe on screw at the end to

hold the clutch bell on.