Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MUGEN MRX3 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default MUGEN MRX3 comparison

Hey guys, i'm quite new to this forum, and i'd like to hear from you all about these following cars:
1. Mugen MRX-3
2. Serpent 950R
3. Kyosho Evolva (F2004)?

I want something that's very durable, upgradable, fun, and won't grow out of easily. So far I'm leaning towards the Mugen because its easier for me to get the kit and parts for it than then kyosho or serpent. THe least convenient one is the kyosho since its gotta be imported from Japan n stuff.

Let me know guys!
Thanks
Old 03-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Default comparison

Here are my thoughts for what they are worth. Yes the Mugen has good parts availability in the states. Serpent seems to have good availability too, but thier parts are more expensive. Kyosho IS available in the states but not cheaply so far. Tower hobbies is the Sole Distributer and they wholesale to most shops but directly from them it's too much.....it's much cheaper to order from Japan. Parts for the Kyosho are becoming available quickly from Tower Hobbies. Kyosho won the 2003 Ifmar championship....BUT if you stack the deck with five top drivers chances are that you will have a good showing. It seems that most Serpent owners are mad that they keep changing the model on them so fast. The Mugen's a good car.....so hopefully this will help you.
All Three are good cars and it really comes down to the driver keeping it off the walls and his ability to set a car up correctly for the given track.

P.S. In Tokyo there's no sign of a Mugen MRX4 yet. And the MRX3 is not "on-sale". Hmmmm.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Tech Rookie

weird...MRX3 is being sold on ashford hobbies, and a few other sites, ebay's got some too

how long has the mrx3 been out? it should be a good thing for me that there is no sign of the mrx4, then i'd have to upgrade.

also, do u know if the mrx2 to mrx3 is a direct upgrade? or do u have to buy the new kit to get the mrx3? cause u can upgrade the serpent 950 to the R with just a couple mods. Is this the same with Mugen? is it the same with Kyosho? cause if you can just upgrade the kyosho from older version to newer version that'll be cool also, saves some money, and keep people semi-happy. ^_^
Old 03-18-2004, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MRX3

The mrx3 is an excellent car out of the box,very responsive to setup changes while being very forgiving of rookie setup mistakes. I would never count on a model change being geared toward the ability to upgrade prior models as that would place many restrictions on the designer.The purpose of any new car should be to provide a better car,not just promote parts and kit sales.Mugen product support might not be the best but you can count on anywhere you run the car someone will be able to give you setup advise.MRX4 rumors are flying everywhere however for a rookie breaking in with a brand new model(new to everyone)is not always the best plan,stay with a model that people have had a lot of experience with.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by chocobo15_2000
also, do u know if the mrx2 to mrx3 is a direct upgrade? or do u have to buy the new kit to get the mrx3?
The change from 2-3 was total. The only components that I was able to carry over were…
Clutch
Shocks
Springs
Rims
Axles
Oh and servo grommets….
Old 03-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Tech Rookie

wow...i was reading up on some other posts in the forum, and the mugens weren't upgradable from older version to newer versions. And now that I think about it, you are right for saying that we shouldn't look foward to a car that can be upgraded to newer version, cause that would be like cheating us, cause we'd be just paying for a few upgraded parts, and the rest of the car is still the same.

now the rumors of the mrx4 flies around, and some1 just posted a site that has it on preorder, i'm going to wait a while and see what people say about it. Most likely i'm going to stick with a mrx3 though.

Thanks for all your advice peeps, keep em comming if you will. ^_^