Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hobbyking.com RIP-OFF

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hobbyking.com RIP-OFF

Buyer Beware. New to RCs & to this forum but have gleaned info over the last few months (thank you) and wanted to pass along a word of warning dealing with hobbyking.com. As I understand it, all LIPOs come from the same couple of factories so I figured I'd look for the best deal. Long story short - I ordered 2 LIPOs from hobbyking and when I finally got around to soldering connectors, I found 1 battery was no good. Shame on me, it was after their 30 day warranty on LIPOs that I discovered the problem.

Knowingly taking the risk, my buddy & I ordered 4 LIPOs. He had no problem. Upon testing, I had another bad battery. It was well within 30 days so I emailed hobbyking for support. I was told that because I did not notify them of the battery problem THE DAY they were delivered, this was not under warranty. Nowhere on their site does it indicate a warranty for LIPO must be made the day of delivery.

I ordered 6 batteries and 2 were bad. Even if they would have warrantied them, I would have paid for shipping back to Hong Kong (+$25) which is more than the battery is worth.

Something to consider when dealing w/ offshore internet suppliers.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

sorta just the risk of internet buying mate . maybe next time try a lhs where you can get customer service and a refund if anythings wrong .
Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Luckily I had no problems with them when I ordered my new lipos. But it stinks that you have to notify them the day of delivery that will definitely influence my purchase next time!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There's a LHS near me (Extreme RC) that has a stock-pile of all types of Zippy and Turnigy LiPOs and even the new Nano-Tech ones. They have a lot of fliers and so they seem to sell a bunch of them. Priced up versus the direct hobbyking.com prices, but know that some LHS do stock them and would help with any issues.

I've done 5 or 6 orders with HobbyKing(hobbycity) and never had trouble with voltages or batteries. Bought about 25 LiPOs so far, sold some to others.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I wouldnt say HK is exactly a ripp-off and could have happened anywhere but your bad experience happened with HK, lotta guys do bizz with them...have ordered 3 times and no problems yet
Old 07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I love seeing these threads pop up every couple of weeks when the people that buy cheap stuff, get cheap stuff, then feel the need to complain about the cheap stuff, or cheap service and so on....

amusing isn't it
Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I have bought 7 lipos from them that I can think of and no issues at all . I can see their side as well , if there was a problem it should of been reported when you got them . They are most likely thinking you screwed up the lipo and want a new one for free .

No matter where I buy lipos from , hobby shop or the net , I check them as soon as I open the box .
Old 07-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Busey lover - it was purposefully and objectively written - not a complaint. I took a risk & got burned, not everytime, only 1 out of 3 times. Just trying to emphasize to others with hard earned money to spend on their hobby that they may want to consider my experience before purchasing solely on CHEAP

Briguy - don't get me started on their customer support. Their terms & conditions change which each new warranty claim.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tb62
Briguy - don't get me started on their customer support. Their terms & conditions change which each new warranty claim.
You need to look at things from both sides , not just yours . I don`t blame them , why would you wait to test them ?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Briguy you are right - sort of. Like I said, shame on me for the first order but I'm not too old to learn & on the 2nd order, I did test them within 3 days of recv'g because their excuse the 1st time was LIPOs have a 30 day warranty. You wouldn't believe what they told me with my 2nd complaint - I didn't notify them THE DAY the batteries were recvd! Where is that in their Terms & Conditions? I had them delivered to my work and I don't walk around w/ a volt meter. So their warranty on LIPOs is at most what - 24 hours?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

What exactly is the issue with these packs? I had a top name/band pack show up at my door with one cell reading bad on my charger. I had to actually disconnect my balance plug and charge it as a NiMh for a few minutes to get some voltage in that cell. It would then charge in lipo mode, but took a long time to balance it out. But after a few cycles it would stay up with the other cell in the pack. Moral of the story, even expensive packs will have issues.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Well , I hear their warranty isn`t that good , but what do you expect for a $20 lipo . You can but 4 of their lipos and 2 be shot and still cheaper then the name brands .
Old 07-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Briguy
Well , I hear their warranty isn`t that good , but what do you expect for a $20 lipo . You can but 4 of their lipos and 2 be shot and still cheaper then the name brands .
You're right again not to mention I'd pay more than the battery's worth to ship it back in hopes they'd send a replacement.

Just sharing my experience to some other newbies such as myself.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hobbipro
What exactly is the issue with these packs? I had a top name/band pack show up at my door with one cell reading bad on my charger. I had to actually disconnect my balance plug and charge it as a NiMh for a few minutes to get some voltage in that cell. It would then charge in lipo mode, but took a long time to balance it out. But after a few cycles it would stay up with the other cell in the pack. Moral of the story, even expensive packs will have issues.
Gonna try that but I have a thing about fires.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by hobbipro
+2 re the nima thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.