Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 01:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Chassis tweak

I'm looking for suggestions on how to eliminate chassis tweak. It seems that everytime while driving my special that when I hit the board and even lightly the car will end up steering either way other than straight. Should the upper brace be firmly connected to the bulkheads or should the screws be loose enough to allow the brace to float.?
Old 02-23-2002, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

You want to have the top deck tightened down pretty well. That is one of the reasons I built a carbon fiber top deck with countersunk holes, the coutersunk holes hole the chassis more rigid and stop it from tweaking as easily.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default gearing?

I'm going to start running modified with my Yokomo. It is a medium sized track that has a few tight turns, but mostly pretty open, and I'm running a 12x3 motor. What gearing (64 pitch) would be a good starting place?
Old 02-23-2002, 10:58 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

Da4Head,
Your problem may be due to the soft Yokomo steering ballends being smacked around, a sharp knock may push the ballend further onto the turnbuckle.
Same way that a good hit might alter the camber on your wheels, the balljoints are a fairly soft nylon and not able to handle abuse. Think along the lines of what happens when you hit a kerb, parking your fullsize car.

RPM ones might be an option.
Perhaps loosening your servo saver tension may help, so that takes the impact instead of the ballends?
Old 02-23-2002, 11:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Simon,

I had this wandering problem last week so I went through the steering linkage and check all the ball ends for play and replaced all ball end cups. The servo saver is set to the manual. Tonight I was playing around with the tweak board and trying a few things. When I intentionally gave the chassis a slight twist and then checking on the tweak board, the results indicated a tweak condition and it stayed that way till I gave it a opposite twist. Now I removed the upper brace and tried it again, same thing.
I conclude that this car is very easy to tweak and will not return to its original state by itself. Judging by the response on this forum is it safe to say that I should counter sink the upper brace to the bulkheads. Any suggestion is very welcome.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Here is a picture of the top deck I made. It also stiffens up the car alot (my main goal) which helps a bit on carpet.

You shouldn't have that many problems with chassis tweak though. I had the same problem a while back, and it was my servo. You may try borrowing a servo to see if that fixes it.

Speedo
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread-cf-top-deck.jpg  
Old 02-24-2002, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Cosmo: I run 7.46 final drive ratio with a 12x2.
To calculate final drive ratio (spur/piniong x 2.2)

timing about 7mm, hard brush springs, Reedy Quasar brush
Old 02-24-2002, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Well, looks like im joining the Yok clan. I have a Special on the way, traded an Axis2 for it....Speedo, can you get on AIM? Want to ask you some things
Old 02-24-2002, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Speedo
ottoman, you probably have the silent belt in, if so, do not soak it in WD40. It will ruin the belt. Mine was the same, but is just starting to loosen up now. I guess it's something we just have to live with.

Yokomo Fan- I have to buy the carbon in sheets, so if I milled out more, they would just be little pieces and be wasted. It is the cost of manufacturing them that is the biggy though, and making more cutouts would only take the engineers more time.

Cosmo, just drain the oil, and gently push the black spacer up from the bottom, then you can push everything out. You might need to replace the small stepped black spacer at the very bottom, and the o-rings. I think the AE shafts are wider, so the shock seals probably are too...

Speedo
I also presume that the weight difference would not be noticeable since carbon is fairly lightweight.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

I'm on now AE_Racer...Usually on around 7 or 8 o'clock.

Well, it is pretty dense, but taking that much out wouldn't make a huge difference, and since my car is already underweight, no point.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi all,

I got the Special at the end of December last year. After a month getting used to the one ways, I must say I am thoroughly pleased with this car.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ras Thavas- where in VA are you?
Old 02-25-2002, 08:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Virginia Beach. I race at Hobbytown there, also have raced at Hobbytown's Newport News store a few times last summer.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am just going through my special (worlds with special upgrade kit) to get it ready to run some carpet again and I have a few questions. I need some wheel bearings and my book says they are 6mm by 10mm. My Boca catalog lists 6x10x2.5 and 6x10x3 so which size do I need? I also noticed that there are some optional caster blocks available. What degree is the std kit block and what effect does changing the caster have on the handling of the car?
Old 02-26-2002, 09:30 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ottoman: caster effects the amount of steering your car has going into or coming out of a turn. More caster will make the car turn in less, but with more steering under power out of the corners. Less caster will make the car turn in more, but with less steering coming out of the turn.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.