Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LRP SXX StockSpec ESC >

LRP SXX StockSpec ESC

LRP SXX StockSpec ESC

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

This is not directed at Mike...Just my experience with this product in general. I think it is great that the local LRP distributor and service provider is posting and providing feedback in the threads.

I purchased the MK3 version a few weeks back and have had nothing but issues with it.

The Speedo feels really great in the infield, nice consistent power, a good amount of rip on the low end and has great brakes. Now for the bad news...the speed control is at least 2 tenths slower then a Tekin. The cogging is a huge problems both with stock and with mod motors. It cogs when starting and also when the car gets to neutral throttle in the middle of a turn. I have tried to fix this in multiple ways by using different sensor harnesses, motors, different motor timings, and different settings on the speed control, but in the end the issues never went away.

After all of this and dealing with all of these issues, I attempted to turn it on and nothing happened. No lights, no flashing, no nothing. I have sent it in for service, but I am yet to hear back.

On the straight the speed control is slow, it just seems like it never really applies the timing advance and stays a constant speed everywhere.

Now, I know that the Tekin has a very different feel...I am not new to R/C and have owned probably over 50 speed controls in my time.

What happened to LRP? They used to be the best...I feel really let down that I dropped 240 dollars on something that clearly was not ready for prime time.

I really want the LRP to work because it has many of the features that I want/need, but at this point I am just not sure LRP understands the needs of the industry anymore and they do not seem to care what it costs its customers. Every time LRP release a new version of code to fix a problem with their programming it costs me yet another $240, that to me seems crazy. Unless LRP changes it's business model I will not be purchasing anything new from them. I am over buying products with a very high total cost of ownership and a very low return on investment.

Maybe, I got a bad one...maybe not. Either way it is money down the drain. People wonder why RC is so difficult to get new people and maintain them over time. It is stuff like this that drives people away from this great hobby. I know they are racing products, but these products even when used properly are unreliable and finicky. People simply cannot afford to keep buying products every 6 months to keep up at the local track. The speed control wars are hurting R/C in a major way. In this economy long term investment's should be part of the approach to keep people interested.

From my perspective buying LRP products is a bad business decision and has really nothing to do with my emotions. If I do a cost analysis of what LRP is asking me to do as a consumer then I would be silly to keep buying their products (no ability to update software). These companies and team drivers need to understand that most of us don't have access to the resources they have access to. I cannot just walk over to the service guy and ask for a new speed control, or the latest software build. I have to interrupt my racing schedule so that I can get a faulty product fixed and this impacts my life.

I don't want to make any enemies and I understand that what I am saying may sway people. I really hope that my situation is an isolated incident and does not affect the entire install base of the product.

I am not sure how else to communicate these issues to LRP, I am sure that some people will take exception to my approach, but if someone would have warned me about these issues I might have thought twice about the losing yet another 240 dollars to the black hole of R/C.

What can LRP do to earn my business?

1) Realize that the black box approach is over. It is time to embrace the 21st century and provide functionality that many of the competitors have been providing for a while now by allowing software updates free of charge.

2) Lower the price of their products, they are simply too expensive for what you get. Their speed controls are almost $100 more and provide less functionality.

3) Fix the design on the soldering tabs...this might be the worst design ever. Been this way for years and still no advances. These things are so hard to deal with and makes switching wires very unpleasant.

4) Consider smaller capacitors where possible, do you really need a capacitor the size of a dump truck to run a 17.5 motor?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks Mike, appreciate the help.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ran my SXX SS MK2 with X12 17.5 at a very large track today. 4 dot, 3.9FDR, 3.6.5.7

It was very quick, with the best top speed, and plenty of poke in the middle. I was running IP Intellect 5000 40C, and on two of the finals the car just shut down. Motor temp at 85C, ESC temp at 45C. At first I thought it was the battery, as it happened right at the end of the 5 mins race (the first time 2 corners from the finish line), and I could turn the ESC off, and back on again and it ran again. Used a different battery, and the same thing happened again (just after I crossed the finish line the second time thankfully). I also had turned the lipo cutoff on the ESC off for this run.

Anyone had an issue like this, or have any ideas why this happened?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default Voltage drop

Originally Posted by Gav-
Ran my SXX SS MK2 with X12 17.5 at a very large track today. 4 dot, 3.9FDR, 3.6.5.7

It was very quick, with the best top speed, and plenty of poke in the middle. I was running IP Intellect 5000 40C, and on two of the finals the car just shut down. Motor temp at 85C, ESC temp at 45C. At first I thought it was the battery, as it happened right at the end of the 5 mins race (the first time 2 corners from the finish line), and I could turn the ESC off, and back on again and it ran again. Used a different battery, and the same thing happened again (just after I crossed the finish line the second time thankfully). I also had turned the lipo cutoff on the ESC off for this run.

I suspect a voltage drop..Been there done that...And when it sits..the voltage comes back up..Balance your cells and see what happens..

On another note..
Ran the SXX ss in a T3..10.5 duo 1..
fdr 6.31...3.4.8.0...42deg c. 5400, 50c.Large out door track .PLENTY of brakes..Like the spx..So it seems after 3 motors..That it does depend on what motor you use with this esc..Ive found the older style of motors with not too much timming built in seem to be the go...So far anyway

and yes 8 dot timming on esc...Motor is set to 0

Mike
Old 06-20-2010, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Mike. I actually balance them every charge.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 17.5 at 3.9 fdr?

That seems very low on the FDR. I would try dropping a couple pinion teeth to be around FDR 5.5ish or higher. Try that with 4 dot(motor), 3.6.8.2. Another thing to look at is the 'initial brake', having this high will make quite a bit of heat plus the X-12s dont need alot of drag brake unless that suits your driving style. Hope that makes sense. I run my X-12 13.5 at FDR 8.19 with 4dot, 3.5.6.2 on a med sized track and its Awesome!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bumpy
That seems very low on the FDR. I would try dropping a couple pinion teeth to be around FDR 5.5ish or higher. Try that with 4 dot(motor), 3.6.8.2. Another thing to look at is the 'initial brake', having this high will make quite a bit of heat plus the X-12s dont need alot of drag brake unless that suits your driving style. Hope that makes sense. I run my X-12 13.5 at FDR 8.19 with 4dot, 3.5.6.2 on a med sized track and its Awesome!!!
Interesting. What is the size of the track?

Today was the first time I used sxx ss and x12 13.5 motor. My local track straight is about 20 to 25 meters long, my fdr was 7.61. Feel was set on 4 and boost was on 6. It was really quick, I think the gearing needed to be 8ish.

Any suggestions on the gearing?
Old 06-20-2010, 02:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Same thing happened to me, only in 2 races out of 5 thankfully, both times towards the end of the race.

Like you i thought it was the batteries, it just shut down, motor and ESC temps were normal.

Used an IP 4200 30c saddle and Maxamps 4200 30c stick.

I have a mk2 like you as well and was using a LRP x11 17.5 motor.

I would like to know how to stop this from happening again !
Maybe a higher FDR ???
Old 06-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default short vid of gear ratios in use

Hi all..After yesterdays testing..Heres some short vids of the SXX SS in motion..Not the different tones of the motor..with the two different ratios..All T3, gear diff..
Awsome brakes. with these type of motors..
Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk85us7QI50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qYNGlpDuzk
Old 06-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Roman,

Since we were using different motors, different batteries but the same ESC, with the same software, I'm going to put it down to that.

I have just sent mine away to get the MK3 software update. Will let you know if it does it once it gets back.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Ok, thanks Gav.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

To artwork and all others!!!

Maybe it is much more easy to use Tekin or Speed passion ESC?
This ESC also have timing and boost in program and guys who use them don't have such problems...
Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Gearing

Originally Posted by Jim_1987
Interesting. What is the size of the track?

Today was the first time I used sxx ss and x12 13.5 motor. My local track straight is about 20 to 25 meters long, my fdr was 7.61. Feel was set on 4 and boost was on 6. It was really quick, I think the gearing needed to be 8ish.

Any suggestions on the gearing?
Attached is a pic of my local track. The profiles I use on this track are SXX SS, X-12 13.5 with 4dot timing, 3.5.7.2. with an FDR of 8.19 in a TC5. Track temps atm are around 20-28 deg C and after a 5 min race the esc comes off at 45DegC and motor (with LRP heatsink/fan fitted) comes off at around 85DegC. Its got more than enough to keep up with the tekins and I dialed the brakes back to 80% on tranmitter and its still got more than enough. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails LRP SXX StockSpec ESC-onroad.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Stonzy
Good idea, I think i'll do the same. Sell it and get my money back that way. Stormer hobbies won't give money back. It's the last time i'll be buying stuff from them. Their loss!!!.
Just an update on my drama with my LRP SXX Stock spec.
Stormer Hobbies have helped me out and gone out of their way to make me happy. Very happy for the customer service that they provided. Definately will keep me as a customer after the service they offered me.

Sorry for flying off the handle in my earlier posts as i was pretty upset and didn't think before i typed

Cheers
Alan Stons.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stonzy
Just an update on my drama with my LRP SXX Stock spec.
Stormer Hobbies have helped me out and gone out of their way to make me happy. Very happy for the customer service that they provided. Definately will keep me as a customer after the service they offered me.

Sorry for flying off the handle in my earlier posts as i was pretty upset and didn't think before i typed

Cheers
Alan Stons.
Happy we could help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.