Community
Wiki Posts
Search

getting into nitro

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Default getting into nitro

hey guys I want to get into nitro. i just had a couple questions. beside fuel screw drivers and wrenches what else should i keeps handy. every time i talk to someone they tell me is need ten tons of crap and never go into detail. they also tell me if i have to ask i should stick to electric. nitro guys seem to be dicks over here. my other question is on average how much does it cost you guys/gals to maintain your nitro cars/trucks. fuel, parts ect...

Thanks guys/gals
Old 05-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

these hex wrenches http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Hex-Driver-Set
are serving me well, just make sure you have it in the screw all the way before you put pressure on it.

you also need some sort of 17mm wheel wrench
flywheel socket
turnbuckle wrenches
A brush, for cleaning.
scissors

1/8 anything is expensive. I originally set my budget for my D8T at $1000. And I bet now, only a couple months later i'm coming up on $1500. And I already had a 2.4ghz remote that I was not counting.

put it this way...you will always need something.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sancho1388
hey guys I want to get into nitro. i just had a couple questions. beside fuel screw drivers and wrenches what else should i keeps handy. every time i talk to someone they tell me is need ten tons of crap and never go into detail. they also tell me if i have to ask i should stick to electric. nitro guys seem to be dicks over here. my other question is on average how much does it cost you guys/gals to maintain your nitro cars/trucks. fuel, parts ect...

Thanks guys/gals
You don't need a ton of stuff. most of my the cost is in tires. Just buy quality once and focus on not destroying your car. take care of it. Change the bearings and fluids and maintain the clutch. Chain sawwing your tires on the pipe isn't cheap.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys/gals
First question is are you already in rc, if so you prob have a few tools already that will get you by untill you deside what you will need, I mean there is no detailed list persay, If you dont have anything yet a tuning screw driver, glow plug wrench, 17mm wheel wrench, a set of GOOD allen wrenches will be a good place to start. The if you don't already know how to tune, read the tuning bible twice and get help from the guys at the track, and most of all ask questions, it's the only way to learn if you don't know how. Most of all have fun and welcome to the wonderful world of 1/8 scale....
Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default My favorites

Gotta have a comfy lawn chair, folding table, pit box, charger, 2.5,2.0,1.5 alen wrench. I like EDS tools...Fan, fuel, tires, channel locks, needle nose, wire cutters, screwdrivers, and a small cordless drill and hex bits that mount in it the same sizes as above, make tearing down the car so much easier.. WD40, Denatured alcohol, marvel mystery oil, super glue, socket for clutch nut 10mm long type, glow plug wrench, 17mm wheel wrench, 5.5 socket driver, soldering iron. scisors, dremel, with sanding drum, zip bits, wire wheel, cutting wheel(fiberglass type). Patience. Extra engine and pipe, servos, clutch shoes, etc....A arms. Screws, Bolts, glow igniter, glow plugs. Light, ice chest, beer, soda, chips, hot dogs, sandwiches. Personal assistant aka pit guy or girl.....
Old 05-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by merdith6
G Light, ice chest, beer, soda, chips, hot dogs, sandwiches. Personal assistant aka pit guy or girl.....
girls and beer :P makes everything better

thanks for the help guys im mainly have 18th scale stuff. so its a little small for 10th or 8th scale stuff. im looking at picking up a used rc10gt to see if i like nitro or not. good idea?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Its gunna be cheaper then 1/8th scale but it is getting harder and harder to find anywhere that runs 1/10th anymore if you plan to race it. Its too bad since 1/10th is where the sport began and now its going to the wayside...
Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

that kinda sucks guess i am going to go 8th. guess im spending more then i wanted lol
Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

it's unbelievably expensive. Seriously, it cost as much as i have in the bank at any given time. It starts alot of fights with my wife.

If you don't need something you want something.

Just yesterday. 150$$$, and that is just this week and for maintenace.

I don't even know if it's worth the trouble anymore.

But some weeks it might be nothing. But that is RARE.

I have at least everything meredith wrote, but have lots of spares for everything. if i use something i replace it. And stuff like tires, glo plugs, clutch springs, shoes, bearings, oils and fluids, filters don't count. That is just about figured like gas LOL
Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dreaux

Just yesterday. 150$$$, and that is just this week and for maintenace.
OL

how much are you driving it a week?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

All you need is the basics man. Buy a decent 1/8th, and the basic things u need to run it. No one says you have to be the best equipped or have the most spare parts to have fun in this class. I speak from expeirance(sp) I run on a very very tight budget. I have a set of wrenches, n two sets of tires and I have a blast. I can't compete with those who have deep pockets. Yes, I would love to have everything all the "good" guys do, but it isn't needed to go out and have a good time at the track. a set of extra arms, air filters, glow plugs is all u really need. If u break something else and the lhs doesn't have it. Then chalk it up to a lesson learned and buy an extra set of whatever u broke. Don't go over complicating things, and just buy one and go have fun.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

theres a bunch of nitro buggies you can have running for about $350 including gas. You wont have a world champion buggy but you can upgrade little by little.
I got started in 18th tooo and I bought a nitro buggy a month ago. Its OK and all it really needs is a better servo and a good reciever pack, plus race tires to be competitve at the track
Old 05-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Initiate

girls and beer :P makes everything better

thanks for the help guys im mainly have 18th scale stuff. so its a little small for 10th or 8th scale stuff. im looking at picking up a used rc10gt to see if i like nitro or not. good idea?
Very good Idea to go 1/10 to check out the nitro scene. Read the TUNING BIBLE thread at the top of the page. It's the best thing I've ever read for any problems with tuning your engine.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Racing 1/8 scale is expensive. You are changing bearings and fluids every gallon. The fuel itself isn't cheap. I looked at what I spent last year and I could have bought a very very nice haundi. I did purchase a new buggy, trugg, 2 new chargers, 8 new bodies with upgrade wraps and 7 engines. Prob overkill but I enjoy thes hobby. I also bought in on the jr hv sevos and put them in my buggy and truggy what a waste they lasted 3 races and one went bad. Then I switched to hitec hv. They have been running well. I am sure you could do it cheaper but that's just not the way I seem to operate. You need tools a backup engine and spare parts (plastic parts, bearings, plugs, shock towers, and set up equip, a camber guage, ride height guage and a good set of digital calipers). Those are my big items that I would suggest.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

how much are you driving it a week?
it's not all maintenance. I bought front and rear m2c toeblocks and some center drive shafts.

in a couple weeks i might re pin my bones, get new out drives and fuel.

then i might get clutch shoes and springs, bearings for clutch and car, glo plugs.

then another week i might get a new body and tires and fuel

then it's air filters, conecting rod and engine bearings

then maybe some new tools, batteries, more fuel

so on and so forth

i am obssesed i know.

throw in what ever parts i THINK i might need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.