Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Carb fuel nozzle supposed to look like this? >

Carb fuel nozzle supposed to look like this?

Carb fuel nozzle supposed to look like this?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Carb fuel nozzle supposed to look like this?

So I have a Wasp .26 (at least I was told when buying the vehicle). Anyways. I thought that the fuel nozzle port where the LSN goes into looked a little weird. Im not sure if it is supposed to look like this or not. It is pretty symmetrical so I am guessing it was machined like this. I am a noob on this nitro stuff so you will have to excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question. Anyways here is a pic. I did the best I can. Its hard to get good lighting inside the carb for a pic. Thanks for any responses.
Attached Thumbnails Carb fuel nozzle supposed to look like this?-carb_01.jpg  
Old 05-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Looks normal to me.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yes, it looks Okay.
Why are you concerned with the fuel outlet (nozzle) appearance?
Do you have a problem with the engine's performance?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the responses. The performance was okay. But I just could not get the thing to idle consistently. Would keep dieing.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

It's probably related to your fuel mixture settings rather than the shape of the fuel nozzle. Get the engine warmed up a little bit, clear it out by giving it a few blasts of throttle, then let it idle. If the idle gradually keeps dropping, it's a sign that the low speed needle (the one in the slide valve) is set too rich. You can pinch the fuel line to help you in a couple of ways. One, if the mixture is too rich, it will keep the engine from stalling while you're trying to make adjustments, and more importantly it will help you to determine the proper low-speed mixture setting.

The engine should rev up only slightly, and then begin to stall from a lean condition, about 5 to 8 seconds after you pinched the fuel line. If the engine revs way up and it remains running for a long time, your low-speed mixture is too rich, and you possibly have the idle speed set too high. If the engine dies shortly after pinching the fuel line, then the low-speed mixture is too lean. This should help you get started.

BTW - I don't recommend taking the carburetor apart unless you know there's an issue with the carb. It just increases the chance of an air (vacuum) leak, which makes the idle and engine performance erratic.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Yeah, the nozzle (spray bar) orifice is a little out of round but you probably won't feel it.