Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Dynamite Mach 2 and Ofna Force JL .21 questions >

Dynamite Mach 2 and Ofna Force JL .21 questions

Dynamite Mach 2 and Ofna Force JL .21 questions

Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Dynamite Mach 2 and Ofna Force JL .21 questions

I put a Dynamite .21 in my Hyper 7, put a Dynamite 086 pipe on it, ran 12 tanks thru it before I started leaning it out. I put it thru its first race last weekend, and my temp hit 320 in the 1st Qualifier, fattened it back up and ran the next Qual at 250. I am running 20% Traxxas Top Fuel (cause its readly available) and a OS8 plug in it. I love the engine, but cant seem to find the right setting for top speed. I do have a few questions tho.

The Dynamite comes with an extra shim, whats it for?

Should I try the 053 pipe in it?

How much HP does the Force JL .21 produce?

thanks guys, I know my questions may be dumb, but I am new to the Nitro scene!
Rob
Old 01-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Did the body melt?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nope, I tore the motor down when I got home, no damage far as I can tell, still has a tight pinch at TDC. Ran the 20 min main later that night with it reaching 270
Old 01-31-2010, 02:48 AM
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its time for a new motor dude!! The JL is a good one. You can go to the Ofna site for the specs. Also go to Amain hobbies and check out the variety of engines. Read the reviews and buy a good engine that wont empty your pockets Hope this helps. Let us know which one you decide to get.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 AM
JUD
Tech Master

By the way, how warm is it there in Texas?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lsbully
I put a Dynamite .21 in my Hyper 7, put a Dynamite 086 pipe on it, ran 12 tanks thru it before I started leaning it out. I put it thru its first race last weekend, and my temp hit 320 in the 1st Qualifier, fattened it back up and ran the next Qual at 250. I am running 20% Traxxas Top Fuel (cause its readly available) and a OS8 plug in it. I love the engine, but cant seem to find the right setting for top speed. I do have a few questions tho.

The Dynamite comes with an extra shim, whats it for?

Should I try the 053 pipe in it?

How much HP does the Force JL .21 produce?

thanks guys, I know my questions may be dumb, but I am new to the Nitro scene!
Rob
hey dude, put a mc59 plug in there, do a retune to the carb starting with setting the idle gap with the gap being measured with the restrictor out.

running the engine at a good tune but having the gap at idle too open will cause the symptoms you described

Keep running the dynamite, if it will run then run it
Old 01-31-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

os plugs are shorter than what you should be using.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not all OS plugs are shorter the make long body plugs. But I would go with the MC59 it is a great plug. That Mach 2 should be fine as long as you dont get it that hot again. those are great motors to learn on they tune pretty good and they are cheap. I learned on the Mach .28 the one with the blue head. good luck.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

well sir i run a mach 2. on mine i have 5 gallons on it and it still run strong. i let a buddy run it last week and he won with it in the pro class. this is wat i do to my motor i use the extra shim that they gave to you. with that shim it will give it more freedom and not so much compression. i also ran 20% when i did this to my motor. i have went up to 25% and the motor came alive more then it did with the 20% but every body knows that will happen. after that my motor run on the rich side at the beginning. i start it up 2 min. befor it is time for me to go do my warm up laps. with this being said it runs no hotter the 230. it idels great and is really fast. all i have to do to it now is replace the front bearing and polish up the crank. i love that little motor not bad for 120 dollars. for local races it does good but i would not recomend it for big races. oh i also run the 086 from dynamite on a D8 buggy.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

i think too many people freak out when a motor hit temp higher that 270. Yes it is bad but you don't need a new motor. Before you do any tuning on the motor you must set the idle gap first. You will be chasing that tune for ever if you skip that step. Temperature is important but don't tune to make your engine run at 230 , most important thing is that you are seeing smoke when you first accelerate.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Dont take me wrong, I dont want to replace the motor, I was wondering if the JL produced more horsepower.
I am going to reset the gap, change to an MC59 plug, and retune.
Another note, what will adding the extra shim do for me?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I run both the mach 21 and just starting the jl at about a quart. my mach 2 hasnt ever been over 215 ever. i had a guy accidentely put traxxas fuel in a good engine of mine few months back and it blew like a fire cracker(not a good thing). I would seriously look into getting some better fuel. sure there are guys getting away with traxxas fuel but i guarantee better results from odo, byrons or sidewinder. there are some new fuels out that yeild very good results as well.

have somebody whether at lhs or at a track that is knowlegable in engines look at your mach 2 to see whether you caused damage with running at hot temps. chances are its fine although would be nice to know for sure. be sure you have good smoke coming out and thats better than any temp gun.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 8&stuff
I run both the mach 21 and just starting the jl at about a quart. my mach 2 hasnt ever been over 215 ever. i had a guy accidentely put traxxas fuel in a good engine of mine few months back and it blew like a fire cracker(not a good thing). I would seriously look into getting some better fuel. sure there are guys getting away with traxxas fuel but i guarantee better results from odo, byrons or sidewinder. there are some new fuels out that yeild very good results as well.

have somebody whether at lhs or at a track that is knowlegable in engines look at your mach 2 to see whether you caused damage with running at hot temps. chances are its fine although would be nice to know for sure. be sure you have good smoke coming out and thats better than any temp gun.
Thanks for the input, I will check into the fuel. I did run byrons in it for the first 5 tanks, but ran out and noone in town had any, so I got the Traxxas. It wont hurt to switch will it?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lsbully
Thanks for the input, I will check into the fuel. I did run byrons in it for the first 5 tanks, but ran out and noone in town had any, so I got the Traxxas. It wont hurt to switch will it?
There is contraversy on switching fuels especially during break-in. Everybody has a different answer no matter how similar ones views are on that subject. You should normally run the same fuel all the way threw a gallon during break-in. In your situation I would certainly believe that going back to byrons would do more good than harm. Then again i would have a prime motor head look at your engine to be sure damage has not been done, then move forward with byrons
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

I tore the motor apart and didnt see any discoloration , or any damage myself. Also had another buddy do the same, and he found nothing either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.