Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I see now. I vary a .1 to .5 per lap. I still have improvements in driving before I need to worry about chassis flex.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen10
Is chassis flex more or less going to improve the lap times that much? Are we talking about .1 or .05 of a second? If a 1/2 sec. could be made I can see that being worthy of looking into. Then again it goes to being consistent.
I would generally say that flex may improve laptimes but will make your car more predictable. A flexy chassis has more mechanical grip so will have more low speed steering but usually less high speed.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I got to give my Type R a pretty good run today. This is only the second time I've been able to drive the car since I got it. We had a practice day at the parking lot track today, and it was really cold and windy! (about 10ºC, 30-45kmh winds ) I toughed out the crappy weather though. The Type R is feeling better now than it was compared to the first time I ran it, since I've had a chance to balance the preload and droop settings now. I've got some unknown setup on the car right now that makes it extremely edgy off centre. Just going down the straight a slight twitch of the wheel would make the car dart 3-4ft in that direction. Turn in was a bit weak though, which was surprising. Exit steering was good, but the back end was loose on exit and the rear end had the feeling of swinging out like a pendulum if I got on the throttle just a bit to early. Keep in mind I was running an HPI S2000 body, but I ran an R9R on the car last week and the balance wasn't terribly different this time, but grip and steering were down a bit.
So, overall not very happy with the handling yet. My Xray was perfectly dialed just like it always is on that track too, so the Losi has some ground to make up yet, but these are just learning days still! The Xray has a hundred runs and the Losi only has about 7-8 so far.
There aren't a lot of setups on the Losi website. Right now I'm running on a tight asphalt track, but in a couple weeks we'll be moving indoor to a really, really insanely tight carpet track with Jaco Blue as the spec tire. Are there any setups you guys can recommend for me? The factory setups from Losi are just for carpet foam and rubber asphalt, what about carpet rubber? I used the standard carpet rubber setup on my Xray for our asphalt track and it was almost perfect. I'm hoping that I can find a similar setup sheet for the Losi.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WheelNut
I got to give my Type R a pretty good run today. This is only the second time I've been able to drive the car since I got it. We had a practice day at the parking lot track today, and it was really cold and windy! (about 10ºC, 30-45kmh winds ) I toughed out the crappy weather though. The Type R is feeling better now than it was compared to the first time I ran it, since I've had a chance to balance the preload and droop settings now. I've got some unknown setup on the car right now that makes it extremely edgy off centre. Just going down the straight a slight twitch of the wheel would make the car dart 3-4ft in that direction. Turn in was a bit weak though, which was surprising. Exit steering was good, but the back end was loose on exit and the rear end had the feeling of swinging out like a pendulum if I got on the throttle just a bit to early. Keep in mind I was running an HPI S2000 body, but I ran an R9R on the car last week and the balance wasn't terribly different this time, but grip and steering were down a bit.
So, overall not very happy with the handling yet. My Xray was perfectly dialed just like it always is on that track too, so the Losi has some ground to make up yet, but these are just learning days still! The Xray has a hundred runs and the Losi only has about 7-8 so far.
There aren't a lot of setups on the Losi website. Right now I'm running on a tight asphalt track, but in a couple weeks we'll be moving indoor to a really, really insanely tight carpet track with Jaco Blue as the spec tire. Are there any setups you guys can recommend for me? The factory setups from Losi are just for carpet foam and rubber asphalt, what about carpet rubber? I used the standard carpet rubber setup on my Xray for our asphalt track and it was almost perfect. I'm hoping that I can find a similar setup sheet for the Losi.
http://http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/...0256urbain.pdf

Lucas urbain's asphalt setup sheet

I'm sure Dragonfire has a good idea of where to start on asphalt too. Is the surface prepped? Low traction? what tires? What setup do you have now?

I have only ran my type R once on asphalt and it was good enough for the A main even with a one way up front.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz406
http://http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/...0256urbain.pdf

Lucas urbain's asphalt setup sheet

I'm sure Dragonfire has a good idea of where to start on asphalt too. Is the surface prepped? Low traction? what tires? What setup do you have now?

I have only ran my type R once on asphalt and it was good enough for the A main even with a one way up front.
My current setups are based around a stiff chassis where as Lucas will be based around flex. There will be quite a difference. I will have to see about posting my base setup there some time for those that run stiff chassis on rubber/asphalt.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WheelNut
It's not really fair to judge the car when you don't even know the setup that's on it, lol.

Here is the setup I ran on a very tight parking lot track, RP30s worked very well.

F:
High roll center
15lb spring w/45 oil and red pistons
middle hole in the tower
5.5mm ride height
-2 camber
4dg caster
2mm droop
steering #2 on the rack, #1 on the knuckle
camber link: #1
sway bar .04
Spool
High diff
.195 hex

R
3dg toe
5.5 ride height
-2 camber
.030 shim under the front block for anti squat
Low roll center
High diff
.165 hex
arms forward
camber link: 4A with 2 shims under the ballstud on the hubs
Shocks: 2 on the tower, outside on the arm
.050 sway bar
12lb spring with 40w / red piston

I took out the 4 screws in the top deck, but left the posts in so I had something to screw the battery into.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

I've seen this set-up in action and you don't have to butcher your car out!......... Car was easy to drive and stable. Very good starting point!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice guys. I know it's not fair to pass judgement on the car yet, but I had to be critical to get all your minds going, lol. The track I'm running on now is low grip, cold weather, slightly bumpy, and very tight. I'll try out that setup you posted MikeXray and hopefully I'll be able to try it out for our last asphalt race of the year. I'm interested to see how all these setups transfer over onto carpet, since we're starting that soon.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)
Default losi

hey guys, ive read alot of this thread and wow what a great amount of info..... im new to touring car racing, i have a standard issue Type R and will be racing on brand new CRC carpet 100x40 total race area. we will be using jaco blue spec tire.

that bein said....... where could i find a base set up for rubber carpet 17.5

thanks for everyones help in advance
Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
It's not really fair to judge the car when you don't even know the setup that's on it, lol.

Here is the setup I ran on a very tight parking lot track, RP30s worked very well.

F:
High roll center
15lb spring w/45 oil and red pistons
middle hole in the tower
5.5mm ride height
-2 camber
4dg caster
2mm droop
steering #2 on the rack, #1 on the knuckle
camber link: #1
sway bar .04
Spool
High diff
.195 hex

R
3dg toe
5.5 ride height
-2 camber
.030 shim under the front block for anti squat
Low roll center
High diff
.165 hex
arms forward
camber link: 4A with 2 shims under the ballstud on the hubs
Shocks: 2 on the tower, outside on the arm
.050 sway bar
12lb spring with 40w / red piston

I took out the 4 screws in the top deck, but left the posts in so I had something to screw the battery into.
What is the front arm spacing,toe and rear droop?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bmcallister
What is the front arm spacing,toe and rear droop?
front arms: middle

rear droop: 2mm
Old 09-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jerzy JayRO
hey guys, ive read alot of this thread and wow what a great amount of info..... im new to touring car racing, i have a standard issue Type R and will be racing on brand new CRC carpet 100x40 total race area. we will be using jaco blue spec tire.

that bein said....... where could i find a base set up for rubber carpet 17.5

thanks for everyones help in advance
here is one
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS Type-R-jrxs-type-r-rubber-snowbirds-08.gif  
Old 09-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)

thanks mike
Old 09-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I ran my car on a rather low to medium bite asphalt track this past weekend and the car was simply fantastic. Got into the corner very well and finished the corners with great forward bite. None of that stepping out, fish tailing stuff in the rear that others was having issues with. The car got faster and faster all day without loosing balance as grip eventually did pickup to medium bite conditions.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
My current setups are based around a stiff chassis where as Lucas will be based around flex. There will be quite a difference. I will have to see about posting my base setup there some time for those that run stiff chassis on rubber/asphalt.
I and many others would like that. I though you posted the setup for the Muchmore race?

Last edited by Jaz406; 09-21-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.