Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by oldrcr
You obviously know not enough about electricity to make that statement.
I'm no ESC electronic wise guy

But
I can see a battery directly wired to a ESC , that in it self sure looks like a big flag waving tall saying I'm not legal ....
Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pakk
I don't know how else to explain it. It's called bracket racing. It is a lot more popular in drag racing.
Break out laps or times is a strange thing, but that can be used to move you up a class or in a beginner, intermediate, pro class.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
Break out laps or times is a strange thing, but that can be used to move you up a class or in a beginner, intermediate, pro class.
Maybe, and this is just an opinion: Run a 4 lap open qual for heat seeds or use the last race results seed the heats. Allow bumps spots in the heats for those that can move up and let the winners bump into the next main. There will be a separation of talent right off the bat. Not all novices are created equal, nor are the top guns.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Maybe, and this is just an opinion: Run a 4 lap open qual for heat seeds or use the last race results seed the heats. Allow bumps spots in the heats for those that can move up and let the winners bump into the next main. There will be a separation of talent right off the bat. Not all novices are created equal, nor are the top guns.

I'm not into qualifying to qualify...we already have mains.

The IIC did something cool and qualified 9 for the main and the fastest time of any other main in that class bumped up.

This thread will soon cure cancer and aids...it's all over the place, lol.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

The IIC did something cool and qualified 9 for the main and the fastest time of any other main in that class bumped up.

The one cure thread!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, the first re-sort is usually good enough. I've raced at Scotty's track and he did a good job of placing talent right up front. All can be cured with a good race director and they could pull lap times from practice. As far as I know no one sand bags in practice, but you never know.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Old 09-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the iic used that concept. they used the fastest 3 laps of your practice to seed you in the qualifiers of the first day. that is the heat you start on the first day. I am not sure I like that. because, well practice heats were now important and guys were cutting down tires just for pratice. even the spec wgt class, i know guys that user 2 set of tires on practice day because it made a difference what heat they would be in on the first qual day.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the idea of what is "fair" is highly dependent on the racing venue.

ROAR has very specific rules for its sanctioned races about what can be used and who can run in Stock and Mod. There is also a process for those rules to change over time.

On a local level I doubt there is any track that does not "adjust" the rules to suit the the majority of regular racers. We all know who should be running with who week in and week out. There is a general peer pressure to keep things fair. At our club we use a break out time to divide sportsman and pro in 10.5 TC. If you consistently run 27(e.g.) lap qualifiers you run with the big dogs.

I think races like the IIC are a whole different animal. This to me is a showcase event for manufacturers. Bring it, show it off and see how it stacks up to everyone else. People look to these events to find out about the new hawtness.

Just know where you're racing and why you're racing.

Regards,
Carter
Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
the iic used that concept. they used the fastest 3 laps of your practice to seed you in the qualifiers of the first day. that is the heat you start on the first day. I am not sure I like that. because, well practice heats were now important and guys were cutting down tires just for pratice. even the spec wgt class, i know guys that user 2 set of tires on practice day because it made a difference what heat they would be in on the first qual day.
It was a different way to seat the heats, but not only the tires, but I saw a few guys overgeared big time and just run a couple of laps, that never did equal those lap times the rest of the weekend, just to get in a higher qualifier. A flaw in the system, but anyone that picked that stategy, well, no rules to cover it.

I can tell you, that just about any speed control will benefit from wiring it out this way, and all are capable of doing it. Don't get fooled into the "purple sock" syndrom, just give it a try and learn something. What if it was a Tekin that the CRC guys decided to use instead, but wired that way? Would the debate be more about the software over the hardware?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got a really good recipe for peanut butter cookies.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
17.5 ? 13.5 ?

This results of this last race only proves again a motors size does not provide fair & equal racing for entree level racers......

Someday .... Racing stock will have to be based on experience so the sport can begin to grow again....

george, there were no "entree level racers" at this event, the rest of your posts ignore the facts that are available,you only to to read them, I know your comprehension level is low, but give it that good ole NW try. if something is not against the rules how can it be breaking the rules. see the below quote from rick, remember when you used to quote him to me, now I quote him to you.

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
IFMAR = modified. If you want to go faster, you use a faster motor.

I see nothing wrong with what CRC did with this ESC and I personally would have been disappointedif they had taken it out for the main. They had a fair advantage based on class rules and that is what racing is all about.
I believe the question that started this thread is should Roar police this at Roar events, I think I read 5 maybe 6 posts reguarding a response to that question.

Congratulations to Team CRC and thier success at the IIC.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
Because what skill do you need in drag racing Its ALL motor.
all motor and computer (esc) setup. gotta love that "studder box"

sorry couldn't help it. but yea I know the driver has a lot to do with it also
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Everyone seems to miss the point. You can have the best of everything and still not be able to run with the big dogs. We continue to focus on the speed controls. What about driver talent ? What about innovation ? Maybe at all the big races we should have handout cars-complete down to the charger. The nature of racing is to find an advantage. But more importantly it is to have fun. If you cant run with the big dogs go practice. More can be gained by that then looking for the latest and greatest. Way to go CRC. If you cant run with the big dogs go to the track and practice, practice and practice some more.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
I'm no ESC electronic wise guy

But
I can see a battery directly wired to a ESC , that in it self sure looks like a big flag waving tall saying I'm not legal ....
MR ”Wild Cherry”. I think you should read #540 and #554. Advanced Electronics are in the beginning to introduce their products on the US market. Do you really think the first thing they do is to do something illegal? That would be like commit suicide! If you think that the speedo is an advantage only in 3.7v stock racing, you are wrong. I have seen the speedo in action during development this summer in a touringcar. The car was running a 7.4v lipo together with a “low-wind” BL motor. The car was running together with 1:10 nitrocars on the track, and you could imagine who was fastest. I think there is reason for all the other makers/manufacturer of ESC:s to be worried. It is not only in 1:12 stock racing the speedo will be an advantage, believe me… \Lindenhill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.