Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Futaba Reciever question >

Futaba Reciever question

Futaba Reciever question

Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Futaba Reciever question

Hey guys haven't posted in a while because I haven't ran in a while. Yesterday was the first time for me to run since March. Ended up being frustrating here's why. I have a D8 and I run a Futaba 3PM with the 2.4ghz frequency. Well I found out that the Futaba receivers do not like the heat all that much and they go into fail safe mode. I've been told that I should move my radio up front and battery back to where the radio is, this I'm afraid will throw off the weight ratio on the car. I tried calling Futaba and to be honest their tech support guy was not helpful at all. He just said send it in with $15. Has anyone had this issue with the Futabas?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I also had this problem and didnt know what it was till your post so thanks.
And what i did is just drilled 2 holes in my receiver box so that air can come in and come out. THIS IS ON A LOSI,so im not sure where on a D8 you could put some holes but that COMPLETLY stopped all my issues and i just ran in 95 degree weather Four 5min quals And a 30min Main with no problems.So that did it.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Rookie

About what size diameter holes did you drill?? That's like it should be the easiest thing to try.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Do you have a lipo regulator in your box? They make alot of heat.

Have you tried lining the bottom of your radio box with Rx foam that airplanes use. I put a 1/4" layer of latex foam on the bottom of my box. Alot of that heat is coming off the chassis.

I thought Futaba fixed this problem.?
Can you post this in the Radio&electronics section to rub it in for the "Futaba fan-boys".........please.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

HAHAH ya Fanboys are AWSOME lol.

well they are 3 1/4 inch holes.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Rookie

No it doesn't have a lipo regulator on it. I guess I can try some of that foam. I've been told that doesn't really help. So I'm not sure which direction to go with this honestly.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

ya I wasnt sure either so i said ahh what the hell ill try holes and that worked for me try the foam and holes thats exactly what i have.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

i have had the very same problem, had three runaways during some practice and one after a qual run. i have a zo1b with a 603fs rx and it also happend in columbus a couple weeks earlier while scott cramer who is with futaba was there and he said heat should be an issue??? so what i did was take a heat gun to the receiver and at 150-160f the light went from green to red everytime. i dont know what the failsafe mode is supposed to do but mine ran away as i was holding the brake to go pick it up off of pit lane, i mean went to wot and was gone!!!

i was told that this problem was cured with the 604 rxs and someone loaned me one but we could not get it to bind with my 3pk. so i drilled the holes as mentioned above and put the 603 back in and ran a 6min qual and 20 min main with no issues. i would rather not have the holes in the rx box, but i cant deal with the runaways so guess that how its got to be, but that amount of heat should be tolerated by the rx in my opinion, im using a nimh batt for power. just thought i would share what i found.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Brian Alderman
i have had the very same problem, had three runaways during some practice and one after a qual run. i have a zo1b with a 603fs rx and it also happend in columbus a couple weeks earlier while scott cramer who is with futaba was there and he said heat should be an issue??? so what i did was take a heat gun to the receiver and at 150-160f the light went from green to red everytime. i dont know what the failsafe mode is supposed to do but mine ran away as i was holding the brake to go pick it up off of pit lane, i mean went to wot and was gone!!!

i was told that this problem was cured with the 604 rxs and someone loaned me one but we could not get it to bind with my 3pk. so i drilled the holes as mentioned above and put the 603 back in and ran a 6min qual and 20 min main with no issues. i would rather not have the holes in the rx box, but i cant deal with the runaways so guess that how its got to be, but that amount of heat should be tolerated by the rx in my opinion, im using a nimh batt for power. just thought i would share what i found.
The 604FS will have the same problem, it happened with my MP9 and 4PK. If I start to run engine temps over 230°F my servos will get twitchy and eventually the fail safe will come on. When we temped the reciever it was 125°F. My fix for now was to unwrap the foam from the reciever like they ask, install in vertically like they state on the Futaba website and then I installed some orings on the bottom of my battery reciever box so there is an air gap between the chassis plate and the reciever box. This appears to have helped so far and I tuned my motor down to 220° range. Disappointing for sure, especially when an older spektrum reciever will work in exactly the same condtions. FSST should not be sold for nitro applications....

On another note you need to check your failsafe position, it should be adjustable for the servo position on your 3pk (it is on my 4pk), your failsafe is set opposite of what you need it to be.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

thanks winter, i am a total newbie so i will look into it. it is very dissapointing i will agree.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Where does it say to mount the receiver vertical? I saw where it said no foam, I just honestly don't see any good places to put some holes for good airflow on my box. It's for a hotbodies D8. I guess I can try some holes on the side and if that doesn't fix it maybe I'll go to a spektrum system.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Alot of good holes will do. Where do you think the heat is coming from. You'd have to cut holes in the body as well to let fresh air in.....and dirt.

Futaba needs to get it together (as I cut and paste to the futaba vs spektrum forum)
Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a feeling the heat is coming from my engine. I wasn't even really running my engine hot between 244 to 252 temp range. I might go out again and try it on its side with a few holes. I just hate the thought of dirt getting into my electronics.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Ive never had this problem, ill have to keep an eye on it.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

Folks before you drill any holes in your radio box, check the temp of your chassis plate, how hot is it, I believe most of my heat gained from the reciever was conductive heat from the motor to the motor mount to the chassis to the radio box, including the internal heat of the reciever itself. I believe the convective heat (air heating) not to necessarily be the issue. I did drill many small holes to create a perforated area by the manifold pipe on my MP9 body to try and relieve some convective heat. I truly believe my issue was from heat being conducted through the chassis into the reciever box, orings under the box appeared to help this along with running my engine cooler 220°F and less. This worked in warmer weather than it was when it started to go into fail safe low 80's vs mid 70's. The orings create a thermal break, not sure that this will fix all the different cars but so far it appears to be working on my MP9. I like others on here am not to crazy about opening my reciever box up to the race elements of dirt and etc.

I am interested to hear if anyone else also has any suggestions, I have not run it when it was 90 out yet. Would like to be more confident this is a fix.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.