Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Sorry Timmie, if I had one I'd let you use it.
As far as local shops in MD... well, the 'C' would be the only place to find anything for Tamiya Cars (and that's limited as well)
you can call the shop and see if they'd order it but I think they get their stuff straight from Tamiya.

I had to order the spool from Tamiya and I hope UPS gets it here before I leave for the R/C Madness TCS.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Markus
Sorry Timmie, if I had one I'd let you use it.
As far as local shops in MD... well, the 'C' would be the only place to find anything for Tamiya Cars (and that's limited as well)
you can call the shop and see if they'd order it but I think they get their stuff straight from Tamiya.

I had to order the spool from Tamiya and I hope UPS gets it here before I leave for the R/C Madness TCS.
Its cool thanks for checking though Yeah I think I'm just out of luck for having a carbon tub for this weekend, but I can still make the car work. When are you heading out for CT? If your still in MD friday get up with me if you don't get your spool in time. Me and Jimmy Mac should be there during the day.I'll let you get the one out of my evo to use. Might have to retire the evo so I probably will bring the 416 for a second car for the C this weekend.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Hey all,

Thought I would share some pictures of my TB03 after coming back from the TCS. I had to redo the cooling fan to be legal, and then I needed to add lightweight screws to get the weight down with the Arta body. Race weight with this body was 1520g. I love the body though, it was a lot of fun for me to paint. I used some color changing paint and glitter But, it is very tail heavy so I doubt I will use this one again. But anyway enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-03-tcstb03.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-tcstb03-2.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-tcstb03-3.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-tcstb03-4.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-tcstb03-5.jpg  

Old 07-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

and some more..
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-03-tcstb03-6.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-tcstb03-8.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-tcstb03%3D7.jpg  
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Initiate

timmie if you have any video of your TB03 in the future, pls post it. After seeing your qualifying video on youtube, i decided to buy the TB03 instead of the ta05 ver 2. your car is very fast for a cheap car. wow.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Nice pics, Timmie, thanks for posting them.

It looked like you were running yellow springs front and back, which if I remember right was for a low grip parking lot. However, the track in the background looked like a pretty nice surface. Did you soften things up for your high grip setup or is that track not as grippy as it looks?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Blues, I believe the pics were taken at Timmie's home track.

Timmie, if you are looking for video's of the GT2 A run your best bet may be, Ed (TeamB+B) or from the Hickmans' camp as they have cameras and usually record.
Ed always does a nice job filming the races.

I may take you up on the spool offer if mine doesn't get here. After watching your car (while driving on the driver's stand lol) I've got to use one.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

where do you find the blue hex button head and countersunk screws?
part#s ? Thanks, fat
Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default So what's better?

Belt or shaft? (lol, jk)

But I may be opening another can of worms here as I know it is an old argument, and was touched on a little bit earlier, the spool vs. front 1-way...in nube terms please.

If what I've read earlier holds: the spool being always locked will scrub on high traction asphalt (for which I think Aliso Viejo qualifies, right?), and the front 1-way will only lock in on-throttle conditions but allow OFF-power diff action, but tricky in-corner braking. But what about the center 1-way? Would i be correct in assuming that you'd get the tricky in-corner braking but not have any of the scrub issues of the spool? Anyone have any experience with just the center 1-way and dual ball diffs? The center 1-way and spool?

It seems to me, as a nube, that any locked diff would always result in scrub, even the front 1-way when on-power, and thus always result in a loss of traction...and hence would not be as sticky as a car able to let all four wheels 'choose' their own speed.

Also, is there a reason (besides cost) no one seems to run the Pro-Module rear suspension? It just looks so dam cool I think i might have to have it, even if it is not 'better', lol, but then again I AM a nerd...

Thanks,
-M
Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SKYFLAKES
timmie if you have any video of your TB03 in the future, pls post it. After seeing your qualifying video on youtube, i decided to buy the TB03 instead of the ta05 ver 2. your car is very fast for a cheap car. wow.
Thanks for watching and I am glad you enjoyed. Yes I plan on posting up some more videos as soon as I get the chance too. This month is extremely busy for me, but next month I plan on really pushing the TB03 chassis as hard as I can.....4 turn brushless with 2s lipo power HARHARHAR! The way I look at it two things will happen. The car will handle the power fine and I will be grinning ear to ear while driving or......I will completely destroy the car, parts will go everywhere and I will STILL be smiling ear to ear! LOL! Either way it goes I will be having fun!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bluesxman
Nice pics, Timmie, thanks for posting them.

It looked like you were running yellow springs front and back, which if I remember right was for a low grip parking lot. However, the track in the background looked like a pretty nice surface. Did you soften things up for your high grip setup or is that track not as grippy as it looks?
Your welcome glad you liked them

Yes, I was running yellow/yellow at the last TCS race. I basically ran my low grip setup but with some small changes. I had the rear shocks in the last hole on the shock tower to help my car rotate faster. I also added a additional 1mm shim under the front/rear block to get a little anti-squat in the rear. I did these changes for qualifying, where I turn my fastest laps when the car is a little loose. For the main I decided to go one hole in on the shock tower to help get a little more rear traction because the tracks grip was changing and I thought it would be safer to run a setup that I could drive a little harder in the main.

As Markus said, that's my home track. I wish I could have taken some pics up in MD but I was too busy working with the cars. But I would say the track there was medium grip. They sprayed soda or something down that worked pretty good most of the day, but the asphalt was a little coarse.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Markus
Blues, I believe the pics were taken at Timmie's home track.

Timmie, if you are looking for video's of the GT2 A run your best bet may be, Ed (TeamB+B) or from the Hickmans' camp as they have cameras and usually record.
Ed always does a nice job filming the races.

I may take you up on the spool offer if mine doesn't get here. After watching your car (while driving on the driver's stand lol) I've got to use one.
Yeah a video would be cool, it was a fun race! I'll try to get up with them on here.

Hahah yeah see I told you spool's are mo bedder I shot you a PM with my mobile, we will be up in Federick Friday afternoon. I can't remember but you have steel swingshafts up front right?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fat500
where do you find the blue hex button head and countersunk screws?
part#s ? Thanks, fat
Hi Fat,

The screws I used came from Tamiya #49393 Evolution 5 titanium and aluminum screw set. I think it is still available for purchase. That is only some of the screws from the kit, the other half are on my evo5.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ChattyMatty
Belt or shaft? (lol, jk)

what I've read earlier holds: the spool being always locked will scrub on high traction asphalt (for which I think Aliso Viejo qualifies, right?), and the front 1-way will only lock in on-throttle conditions but allow OFF-power diff action, but tricky in-corner braking. But what about the center 1-way? Would i be correct in assuming that you'd get the tricky in-corner braking but not have any of the scrub issues of the spool? Anyone have any experience with just the center 1-way and dual ball diffs? The center 1-way and spool?
I can't comment on Tamiya's track since I have never raced on it..(might next month though hehehe) But from the looks of it yes it looks high traction. Running a center one way gives you a 3 options on a front diff to use. Spool, ball diff, and oneway. All 3 front diffs used with a center one way will give you sensitive braking. I honestly can't feel a difference running a oneway plus a center oneway. I tried it out with my 414M2, but later removed the center oneway due to weight savings in the drivetrain and not really feeling a difference. A spool and center one way can make your car push bad off power going into a turn. I personally wouldn't ever use this setup at all. A ball diff with a center one way is like driving a car with a mild one way. It will give you more off power steering than a ball diff, but not as much as a one way would. It will give you less on power steering than a one way, but feel like a ball diff on power. PHEW! That was a mouthful

seems to me, as a nube, that any locked diff would always result in scrub, even the front 1-way when on-power, and thus always result in a loss of traction...and hence would not be as sticky as a car able to let all four wheels 'choose' their own speed.
Yes you always have some scrub with a spool/oneway on power, but with these cars being 4WD the locked fronts pull the car around. To counter what the locked front is doing, you compensate by chassis setup. Completing a turn with minimal front wheel turning angle, (reducing the scrubbing of speed) and playing with the amount of traction on the front of the car or rear of the car is what it takes to have a fast car. It's a balance you find for your driving style.

is there a reason (besides cost) no one seems to run the Pro-Module rear suspension? It just looks so dam cool I think i might have to have it, even if it is not 'better', lol, but then again I AM a nerd...
I think it looks cool too But for racing, I probably wouldn't want to use it. It would be heavier to run than the stock suspension parts so that would add unsprung weight. That is always bad, real cars, r/c cars, pets...

Ok hope that helps!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Timmie,

What body do you normally run at TCS?

How was the handling of the ARTA?

TIA,

Jimmy W

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.