Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Help Deciding, TC5 OR XRAY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kn7671
I doubt you can quantify this statement, as I having owned both a TC5 and an Xray, I can verify 100% that the TC5 breaks easier and parts wear out (get sloppy) much quicker.

Give me a list of what's wrong with the Xray and compare to the TC5 issues:

Integrated Servo Saver, sloppy design, easy to strip. Not had this problem, you must be doing something wrong
Wheel Bearings are thin/narrow 6x10x3, which go bad quickly. Mine are fine and have survived a weekend in the pouring rain (and I mean pouring) and 3 months of league nights.
Plastic Diff outdrives wear quickly. Not got this problem with the Tc5r
Shocks are hard to bleed, shock body and shaft wear quickly. I'll agree, the shocks are SHIT.. replaced with Tamiya TRF's... job done
Steering knuckles top/bottom screw strip out easily. Bottom defo, top no.
Aluminum ball studs and ball cups wear quickly. Not had this problem and it has taken several hard knocks... and I mean several
Diffs are open-like design, flinging diff grease out and all over the place. Don't put so much grease in then
Carbon Fibre chassis is lower quality and cut poorer than Xray. No noticable difference, infact the front of my xray chassis split in half (007 EU)
Suspension Arm hinge pin holes wallow out creating sloppy suspension. Again, not had this problem
Chubs and Rear hubs break easily and screw holes strip easily (all AE stuff). C Hubs yes, rear hubs.. non yet.
Shocks are not externally adjustable. As above, replace with TRF's
Belts are super stiff and not flexible, creating drivetrain drag. Brilliant belts, not a sign of wear on mine yet... compared to the xray belts which wear down far too fast IMHO (then cost a fortune to replace because they're optimized to the xray )
Motor mount bulkhead is offset of main bulkheads, offsetting motor weight to one side. Don't have this problem, custom bulkheads
Motor mount bulkhead attaches to lower chassis and other bulkheads, not top and bottom chassis. As above
Happy Days
Old 07-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nick Priest
Happy Days
THANK YOU! the tc5 is a nice car and i have never broke a part. no wear either, except for the outdrives which ive seen wear equally on my tamiya. car is really smooth, no complaints here. just a case of extreme over-exaggeration.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RFALLON
It doesnt matter if the car changes every year. you can still get parts for the 008. All of the parts on the 008 and 009 are the same.

Yeah but the 009 has all those pretty orange anodized parts that you can't do without The 008 to 009 doesn't have major changes, but if you go through the last 5 cars there has been changes on each on, and they add up. I'm not saying that's bad either, just pricey. The fact that they make the car better every year shows that the are always doing research, and finding ways to make the car better and better. Don't matter to me anyway, I drive a Cyclone, and a JRX-S.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thought I would hop on this thread because I am doing the same research. I currently run a TA-05 and can't seem to get it dialed in. Admitedly I am not an expert, but after spending hours and hours myself and then working with a 1/2 dozen guys at my local track none of which could get it dialed in (major traction rolling problem on carpet) the mumbling I heard was "buy an xray '007 used for a couple of hundred bucks and you will avoid all these hassles."

Now, I know a better car isn't going to make me an expert driver, and yes I have seen some of the "fast guys" do just fine with their TA-05s, but they are Tamiya experts, know all the special tweaks, and are able to several days per week at the track making adjustments and getting that last 1/10 of a second off their lap times.

Back to the point. TC5 parts are available everywhere here and XRay parts, not so much. This makes me want to go TC5. General consenus seems to be XRay is a better car.

Questions:
1. Are 007 parts still available?
2. The TC5 has been around for quite a while, any rumors of a TC6?
3. Is the upgrade from a TA-05 to either a TC5 or XRay so big I will be happy either way?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

008/009 is tons better in performance than tc5 if i were just club racing id get tc5 if planning on big races xray
Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rknott

Questions:
3. Is the upgrade from a TA-05 to either a TC5 or XRay so big I will be happy either way?
The 007 parts are probably harder to get buy still available.

No. they had the b4/t4 for over 5 years and still no rumors of something new. they dont really need one either since they came out with the tc5r and tc5f under a year ago.

Well, i know a person i race with who prefers the ta05 more than his 415msxx. i think you can dial in one of those ta05 cars pretty well but upgrading you will be able to see a performance boost. its your choice if you are willing to spend the money.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thought I would hop on this thread because I am doing the same research. I currently run a TA-05 and can't seem to get it dialed in. Admitedly I am not an expert, but after spending hours and hours myself and then working with a 1/2 dozen guys at my local track none of which could get it dialed in (major traction rolling problem on carpet) the mumbling I heard was "buy an xray '007 used for a couple of hundred bucks and you will avoid all these hassles."

Now, I know a better car isn't going to make me an expert driver, and yes I have seen some of the "fast guys" do just fine with their TA-05s, but they are Tamiya experts, know all the special tweaks, and are able to several days per week at the track making adjustments and getting that last 1/10 of a second off their lap times.

Back to the point. TC5 parts are available everywhere here and XRay parts, not so much. This makes me want to go TC5. General consenus seems to be XRay is a better car.

Questions:
Yes parts are still available straight from RCAmerica for the 007, in fact they still have parts for the FK04 and FK05.
Yes you will notice the difference going to either of these cars from the TA05.
Just to give all the X-Ray bashers a little info, I have a friend that is very high up at AE, when I was looking to goto a new car from my FK05 I was looking into the TC5. He pulled me to the side at the nationals and told me to stick with the FK05 or go to the T2. And this is from a AE top sponcered person. Admittingly that was before the TC5R and TC5F came out.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Tech Addict

Questions:
I can still get parts for my T1R, & I'm near the bottom of the planet (not quite, but getting near)
I sold my 2 TA05's & got a T1R(drifter) & a 007.
Both Xray's are alot more tolerant of dirty tracks, small stones etc than my TA05's.
-but I still dont have the skills to really make use of the 007's better performance (working on it)

**if you get a 007 (or any used carbon chassis) , inspect or get a photo of the underneath. Check for wear/delamination at the front underside of chassis.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default TR

Questions:
Hi Matey , your traction rolling prob is that the front roll centre is too low.
Less inner camberlink spacers will do it , or 1mm shims under the front suspension mount.
Having said that my son has a 008 Xray and it is so.......easy to be quick with.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Tech Adept

Questions:
Hey mate,

I run a 007 and i find it easy to get parts, stormer hobbies, have a wide range of xay parts 05 and onwards and i'm sure you'll find a rcstore near you that ill have xray parts.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ran the TC5R for over a year racing almost every weekend during asphalt season. I had to replace a couple chassis, went through 4 solid spools because of broken blades and resulting outdrive damage, and even a full set of bulkheads due to wear. Tweak issues anytime an accident occurs and serious wear on the aluminum parts and stripping of plastic suspension parts over time. It's a great car if you stay on top of the maintenance (which I did). I had it on a tweak board between every heat in club racing. Diff rebuilds every race day was a must to keep it smooth. Fortunately the parts are cheap but if you want to keep the car tight and predictable - it's a lot of work.

Fast forward to my T2 009 (actually an 008 with all the 009 upgrades including chassis), and it holds the tune much better and whoever says they break easier has never driven one. I got punted a few times and it caused ZERO issues including no tweak. I still check tweak frequently and am impressed by it's ability to hold the tune. I also build my cars with serious OCD and everything is machined well and the fit and finish is second to none. Enclosed diffs means less frequent rebuilds, and the engineering is spot on to keep rotational mass and COG low and balancing it was a cinch compared to the TC5R

Bottomline is you can't go wrong with either but weigh your options and realize that you might spend more up front with the Xray but I spent as much or more with the TC5R to eliminate slop and wear when racing frequently.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by penmark67
Hi Matey , your traction rolling prob is that the front roll centre is too low.
Less inner camberlink spacers will do it , or 1mm shims under the front suspension mount.
Having said that my son has a 008 Xray and it is so.......easy to be quick with.
Thanks for the tip! I tried all sorts of different roll center settings. Spacers here, there, and everywhere. I will try again though! Interesting comment on the Xray.

Originally Posted by Catalyst
I ran the TC5R for over a year racing almost every weekend during asphalt season. I had to replace a couple chassis, went through 4 solid spools because of broken blades and resulting outdrive damage, and even a full set of bulkheads due to wear. Tweak issues anytime an accident occurs and serious wear on the aluminum parts and stripping of plastic suspension parts over time. It's a great car if you stay on top of the maintenance (which I did). I had it on a tweak board between every heat in club racing. Diff rebuilds every race day was a must to keep it smooth. Fortunately the parts are cheap but if you want to keep the car tight and predictable - it's a lot of work.

Fast forward to my T2 009 (actually an 008 with all the 009 upgrades including chassis), and it holds the tune much better and whoever says they break easier has never driven one. I got punted a few times and it caused ZERO issues including no tweak. I still check tweak frequently and am impressed by it's ability to hold the tune. I also build my cars with serious OCD and everything is machined well and the fit and finish is second to none. Enclosed diffs means less frequent rebuilds, and the engineering is spot on to keep rotational mass and COG low and balancing it was a cinch compared to the TC5R

Bottomline is you can't go wrong with either but weigh your options and realize that you might spend more up front with the Xray but I spent as much or more with the TC5R to eliminate slop and wear when racing frequently.
Interesting comment. Now that you mention it I remember the TC5 guys talking about a custom tweak board that someone local was making. I figured that was an issue with all the higher end cars. Given my driving skills that is one reason I haven't upgraded.