Wiki Posts
Search

Spark on launch of jump

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Spark on launch of jump

My 8ight-B (1.0) has a spark when headed up the jump. I assume there's some chassis flex at that point, but I don't know what is sparking as a result of the flex. It seems like it's coming from the rear or mid-rear section of the car. Performance is normal, no problems.

It's not the spark-of-clutchbell-death I've had when casing a jump .

Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markr04
My 8ight-B (1.0) has a spark when headed up the jump. I assume there's some chassis flex at that point, but I don't know what is sparking as a result of the flex. It seems like it's coming from the rear or mid-rear section of the car. Performance is normal, no problems.

It's not the spark-of-clutchbell-death I've had when casing a jump .

Any ideas?
Maybe the chassis is bottoming out and hitting the face of the jump causing the spark.....
Old 04-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Could be rocks on the face of the jump. Are you using titanium screws in the bottom of the chassis anywhere? Titanium can spark with moving static electricity. It might be the chassis flexing. Does the clutch bell and spur gear look ok?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

We don't have any rocks, it's a well-groomed indoor track. What y'all are saying still makes sense, though. Perhaps I just didn't notice the spark until I started looking for it.

I'm using the stock Losi screws. The clutch bell and spur are good.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That's usually the chassis slapping the jump.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

your buggy is trying to tell you that your on fire.. LOL JK
Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Its the steel screws eroding a tiny bit and the flakes sparking.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markr04
We don't have any rocks, it's a well-groomed indoor track. What y'all are saying still makes sense, though. Perhaps I just didn't notice the spark until I started looking for it.

I'm using the stock Losi screws. The clutch bell and spur are good.

If you're running at Indy, it is the rocks that cause this. Albeit small, they are in the soil, and since the sparks coming from the chassis are orange, you know it's steel, so it's just a chassis screw hitting a small rock embedded in the soil.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
If you're running at Indy, it is the rocks that cause this. Albeit small, they are in the soil, and since the sparks coming from the chassis are orange, you know it's steel, so it's just a chassis screw hitting a small rock embedded in the soil.
+1

If you notice when you marshal at Indy, about 30% of the time during a race various cars are doing that on the big triple. I was standing at the corner before the runup for that, so I had a good view of it for the whole main... Nothing to be concerned with if your clutch mesh is good... now, sparks like that CAN be when you break a clutchbell or spur gear (it looks the same... worried the heck out of me the first few times mine did it at the Texas State Series race... but it was fine.)
Old 04-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies. I'm relieved.

Yeah, it's at Indy. I notice it at the triple near the stand (the back triple is too far away, lol).

As far as the clutchbell spark goes, I'm very familiar with that... too familiar with it. lol. The track change introduced me to the wonders of shearing clutchbell teeth, particularly when casing the triple. I went through a clutchbell every week at first. In one race, I stripped all but two teeth from the 13 tooth bell on my truggy. . I've got it under control now, though. I land the backside more consistently, I'm off-power, and I put the Robinson bells in both truggy and buggy.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mark. Ive noticed that also. Sometimes when people take off there is a little spark. I think it is just tiny rocks in the soil. Nothing to worry about. Even tho at INDY it does not appear that there are rocks. Take a look at under your chassis. Some of those scratches are pretty deep.

Yesterday was a blast tho. Motor was running great. Car was performing pretty good until the track dried out. I put the Smart diff in last night and can t wait to try it next thursday?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Get some of the Skid Plates for your Losi. They are amazing. They make a molded bumper for the front skid plate and rear skid plates for both Losi 1.0/2.0 chassis. It will also greatly improve the life of the chassis. DE Racing makes them for I think every model buggy out there.

Its about 8 bucks for 3 rear plates and 8 for 1 front bumper skid. They are rock solid and I have tested that more then enough .. They also just bolt right in with original hardware.

And its free shipping I believe. Look them up.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

yea i think tnt sells them in plano, i need some cuz i dont like that im on my second gallon on my new 2.0 buggy and my chassis is 3mm now in the rear.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bastard dsm
yea i think tnt sells them in plano, i need some cuz i dont like that im on my second gallon on my new 2.0 buggy and my chassis is 3mm now in the rear.
Hi Thomas,

Did you type that on your phone? If not, it looks like we need to go over punctuation after I teach you how to make it around the track. Fortunately, my lessons are discounted for beginners.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

hey now, i didn't pass english class because of the spelling and punctuation.
im a loser i know... Yea i still need driving lessons and a lesson on how to use loctight to keep my servo saver spring nut from backing off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.