Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I look forward to your Avatar Changes Veedub
Thanks. Thats out latest prototype racecar the R15. More pics here:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmarch09.html

Last edited by ezveedub; 03-29-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

driving styles do come in to picking and sticking with a new car if it doesnt suit you and you cant tune it to work for you change chassis, but remember a lot of people dont drive like you !!!, what makes me curious though is that pro drivers in the span of their careers may drive for several car manufacturers and yet they can drive them all without altering the way they go about their business on track!! gotta wonder about this car drives better than that car scenario really are we really talking about our own ability to tune a car properly or is it the car that makes the difference??? food for thought.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slow coach
driving styles do come in to picking and sticking with a new car if it doesnt suit you and you cant tune it to work for you change chassis, but remember a lot of people dont drive like you !!!, what makes me curious though is that pro drivers in the span of their careers may drive for several car manufacturers and yet they can drive them all without altering the way they go about their business on track!! gotta wonder about this car drives better than that car scenario really are we really talking about our own ability to tune a car properly or is it the car that makes the difference??? food for thought.
Valid arguments, i agree that most cars can be tuned to the users liking but at the end of the day you have to admit that some designs have certain inherent advantages that even the most seasoned club racer would have problems working around. In the case of the 8 and mbx6, i found that the short chassis of the mbx6 promotes weight transfer giving the car a sort of delay in acceleration that any 8 driver would notice instantly i tried increasing rear anti squat and stiffer rear springs but the cars was terrible in the bumps I even got up to 10 000 in my center diff... All this while using 1.1mm springs the car was pulling wheelies all over the place... without achieving the results i wanted.
the Eights longer chassis and forward biased weight distribution makes the car handle in a manner that no tunning can compensate imo.
As R1harper said different cars feel different.

Last edited by gameholic2; 03-29-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I wasnt happy with my mbx6. It had quite a few durability issues. I also had a terrible experience with Mugen customer support.

My 2.0 has 8-10 gallons through it with only one failure. I blew a rear diff because I didnt shim it right. I was making noise for almost 2 gallons before it finally failed. Im still on the original arms, rod ends, etc..

I have a friend who can run an MBX6 for free but chose to buy my 2.0 and has been very happy with it.

Most importantly I am way faster with the 2.0. my buddy has been too.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
So your saying the MP9 is worth $750?
The mp9 is definetely worth a price premium over a losi. Between replacing sloppy and worn parts on the losi, and spending money chasing settups for different tracks, even at 750$ for the kyosho you will still likely save money through the course of a season. And you'll start with a buggy that will always have consistent braking, even if your pitman gets fuel on them, lol. Far better deals out there than 750$ though if you look, I paid 570$ nib shipped for mine, and couldn't be happier to get away from losi.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slow coach

+1

Threads like these are soooo pointless its not even funny. Take car 1 and set it up poorly and compare it to car 2 that is set up great, then take car 2 and set it up poorly and compare it to car 3, now poorly set up car 3 and compare it to a properly set up car 1.
Bottom line is, if you are a proffesional that knows how to set up a vehicle at the top level and drive at the top level, I would love to hear your opinion and comparison otherwise its a waste of time.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ridley
The mp9 is definetely worth a price premium over a losi. Between replacing sloppy and worn parts on the losi, and spending money chasing settups for different tracks, even at 750$ for the kyosho you will still likely save money through the course of a season. And you'll start with a buggy that will always have consistent braking, even if your pitman gets fuel on them, lol. Far better deals out there than 750$ though if you look, I paid 570$ nib shipped for mine, and couldn't be happier to get away from losi.
My Losi has consistent braking.. lap after the lap the brakes work fine, all that for less than $750. Oh and I beat an MP9 a couple weeks back. Since it has nothing to do with the driver I wonder what was wrong with his car.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
My Losi has consistent braking.. lap after the lap the brakes work fine, all that for less than $750. Oh and I beat an MP9 a couple weeks back. Since it has nothing to do with the driver I wonder what was wrong with his car.
Its well know that if any fuel hits the fiber brakes, they fade in and out and basically suck. I ran the 8ights for a year and a half.........I know EXACTLY what happens when they get splashed, you can pretend otherwise but it wont make it right The brakes are just one of the many issues the cars have though......anyone that has time on the cars know them all too well.

I know the Losi's are appealing because they are dirt cheap and many like to swing from the Drake's nether regions, but their quality reflects the price. I wouldn't run a losi if they gave me a full ride......... I'd much sooner spend my money on a kyosho or mugen than drive a losi for free.....

Not to bash Losi uneccessarily, I ran their cars back in the day and loved them. Coming back to Losi after a career of real racing though, has really dissappointed me with their drop in quality over the years. Obviously, when Gil left, he was more than a little dissappointed in the direction the company was headed as well..... You can run em if you want to, but there are CERTAINLY better choices available.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have a 2.0 and an mbx6.

My thoughts are pretty much the same as the thread starter..

I run the mbx6 mainly because our local track resembles the surface of the moon. very losi unfriendly.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scout67
+1

Threads like these are soooo pointless its not even funny. Take car 1 and set it up poorly and compare it to car 2 that is set up great, then take car 2 and set it up poorly and compare it to car 3, now poorly set up car 3 and compare it to a properly set up car 1.
Bottom line is, if you are a proffesional that knows how to set up a vehicle at the top level and drive at the top level, I would love to hear your opinion and comparison otherwise its a waste of time.

Posts like yours are even more pointless...
The idea behind my thread was to give an idea of what the average guy can expect from the 2 cars I'm no pro but neither are you and most of the guys on this forum so my opinion is probably more representative of what you and the other average racers will experience with both these cars.
Hope you understand...

I'd much sooner spend my money on a kyosho or mugen than drive a losi for free.....
Your credibility just died with this statement.

Last edited by gameholic2; 03-29-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Whatever experience people have had the 1.0 can be thrown out the window. The 2.0 is a totally different car.

I swore I would never buy a Losi again but I am glad I did. The 2.0 plastic is way better than the old car.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm in the middle of purchasing either a Losi Eight or a Mugen MBX6...still undecided.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Initiate

I disagree I think the Losi is horrible the time I owned it all I did was break and have to fight to get the car straight with the mugen its dialed which allows you to drive harder without crashing which makes you faster.Also I dont crash alot usually max once in a round so that means the car would fall apart and would break on impact from jumps.But theres alot of losi fans out there so it depends on who you are and how you drive.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gameholic2

Your credibility just died with this statement.
So it is better to race something inferior cause it's free? Or race a better car I'm faster with and pay for it? I guess if I was in it to lose I'd race the free one.....but I like to win. Besides...500$, 700$, its chump change for a hobby, and absolutely laughable compared to what I spent on real racing.

Or maybe I just don't have to save up my lunch money to go race like those pining for scraps, discounted parts, and a free T shirt so I can have some delusional self image of importance when I'm filling out a sponsor sheet In this hobby there are racers and there are posers....I see what category you fit in
Old 03-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Its well know that if any fuel hits the fiber brakes, they fade in and out and basically suck. I ran the 8ights for a year and a half.........I know EXACTLY what happens when they get splashed, you can pretend otherwise but it wont make it right The brakes are just one of the many issues the cars have though......anyone that has time on the cars know them all too well.

I know the Losi's are appealing because they are dirt cheap and many like to swing from the Drake's nether regions, but their quality reflects the price. I wouldn't run a losi if they gave me a full ride......... I'd much sooner spend my money on a kyosho or mugen than drive a losi for free.....

Not to bash Losi uneccessarily, I ran their cars back in the day and loved them. Coming back to Losi after a career of real racing though, has really dissappointed me with their drop in quality over the years. Obviously, when Gil left, he was more than a little dissappointed in the direction the company was headed as well..... You can run em if you want to, but there are CERTAINLY better choices available.
Yeah.. I'm not a huge fan of the slop, but they are cheap and I can still win with one. I'm cheap too so that helps. I'll buy a 2.0 when the 3.0 comes out. I'm not sure who or what Drake has to do with it though. Gil Losi Jr works for Kyosho so who knows how the real R&D goes with Losi now. If I stick with R/C I'll probably run Xray in the future, there is no doubting their quality, but honestly the expense isn't justified for club racing, at least not for me. Plus I can get Losi parts form damn near 50 people at the track on any given race weekend. So I'll keep rockin' Losi's as long as I'm having fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.