Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on rally car decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default Advice on rally car decision

Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting a rally car. The only problem is that I'm stuck between two cars.
I want to run my car in semi wet weather which is why my first choice is a **Tamiya TB01 rally**.

However, there is also the choice of getting a **used TC3** and rally it... BUT, would it be possible to get a TC3 water-resistent? Or should I just go for the TB01?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:11 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

y dont you think of the MR4TC rally?
Old 01-01-2002, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

The MR4 rally is way too much money. plus, I doubt it's rain proof.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just got a Losi Rally weapon. It's based on the XX4, which seems to be a solid kit. I've ran it a few times out in front of my house and was suprised at how well it handled bumps and little jumps, and still was able to rip around on the street.

The only thing I dont like is that it's kind of a pain to work on. My first car was a TC3 and the Rally Weapon made me realize how easy the TC3 is to work on. The Rally Weapons not hard to work on, its just kind of a pain.

I thought about the used TC3 option as well, but I was able to get a NIB Losi kit for 100$ at my LHS. I've seen them for less on ebay.

Well, HTH

Happy -ing
Old 01-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

I'll second the Rally Weapon recommendation. Mine kicks tail on the most brutal of tracks. Yes, wrenching it is a little more involved, but it has a built-in partial dust cover to protect the drivetrain (check Horizon Hobbies for a Lexan inner body for even more protection.)

Hopups for the Rally Weapon are still plentiful, as it shares about 90% or more of its parts with the Street Weapon, and you can get a kit complete with body, tires, wheels, etc. for $69.99 on eBay.

Pics of mine are at http://photos.yahoo.com/sixandeightstringer in the "My Rides" folder.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

The real problem is waterproofing. I wouldn't mind using my Yokomo YR4 chassis, but it's made for pure racing, and water or dirt would kill it in seconds flat. That was I'm considering the TC3, but also the TB01 for it's durability.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Why not HPI?

The HPI RS4 Rally is THE rally car. Ask anyone at the HPI Rally forum whop's tried all these cars.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

ok..you wan to water proof the thing.. so you rule out the mr4 and say tc3!?!? huh?! the mr4 would water proof easy compared to the TC3. the tc3 is NOT a rally car. the rally conversion is a half ars attempt making it 1. the RW is easily water proofed with a modified XX-4 body. the TBO1 also can be water proofed easier. and how many do ppl have to you. the Type J will break if you rally it!
Old 01-01-2002, 11:06 PM
Tech Master

I will be making one of my Tc3s a rally car, because I only have 5 of them . Things that I would do to it would be:

1. Rally conversion kit....obviously .
2. Steering rack cover. AE has a design on their website.
3. Mount a lexan sheet on the bottom to cover up the battery slots and spur gear slot to prevent scratching of the batteries and rocks getting up in the spur gear.
4. Gear cover to protect the pinioin and spur from debris.
5. Suzuki ESCUDO Pikes Peak Version Body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2002, 11:23 PM
Tech Rookie

hi
Old 01-01-2002, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

Well, will the MR4 take dirt as well? I only have access to a used MR4 TC, and I don't know if that'll do any good as a rally car.

And I considered the HPI, but I know the fuss of belts.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:27 AM
Tech Adept

I have two MR-4 rally cars and they are really good rally cars. At our track there are only four types of rally cars that race: Losi rally weapon, HPI RS4 rally, TC3 rally and the Yokomo rally. All of them are good rally cars for the track we race on. The rally weapon is the car that wins the most with the HPI and Yok a close second. The TC3 rally suffers from the same problems that the touring car does, weak arms and no dust cover. The HPI and Yok come with a dust cover and for the Losi you can use a body from the xxx-4 buggy as a dust cover for the rally car. And as for price, my MR-4 rally was only $150 when I got it just over a year ago. That put it in the same price range as the HPI.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

to best ones that I can think of are the hpi,losi,tamiya and yok rally cars. ive heard nothing good on the tc3 rally car.
If your looking for a proformer try the losi,hpi,yok or tamiya(tb01)
but for some fun try the hpi or tamiya cuase they are the easyest to handle.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

For the Rally Weapon - to clarify - the inner body completely covers the top of the chassis. Since the bottom of the chassis is solid, it comes about as close to "waterproofing" as you're gonna get.

More detail: Horizon has the STREET WEAPON DUST COVER, Part #LOSA8051 for $7.95. It's a one-piece lexan shell that requires a good bit of trimming, but works fairly well. Though the sealed drivetrain keeps almost all of the crap out of the belts and gears, the dust cover can help keep much of it out of your motor and electronic gear. I keep mine on the car with velcro strips. It's not pretty (no fake drivers) but it's functional; plus, I use it as another place to put sponsor stickers.

I've attached a pic of what it looks like on the car.

==
Attached Thumbnails Advice on rally car decision-dustcover.jpg  
Old 01-02-2002, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

ecscudo makes a bad rally car if ur gonna jump it TC3 has no inner body so its a poor rally car. MR4 can be made a rally easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.