Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Hudy Set Up System >

Hudy Set Up System

Hudy Set Up System

Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitroburner9
Sorry to dig up an old dinosaur but Im considering the Team Magic or Hudy setup for my Mugen MBX-5 and my truggy like T-Maxx. I am really unsure about what to get. I know I would have to get the truggy plate while using the Hudy, but does the Team Magic offer one as well. Also would it be worth it to grab the plastic setup board decal from Hudy. I could use the help and just trying to get ready for the next racing season. Thanks

Hudy has a Special 1/8 Truggy/buggy decal...but A-main does not have it.....only place ive found it is through Hudy themselves.....part#108212....and i would also recommend the Hudy station...for what its worth....the top plates fit like a dream and the bearings all ride uber smooth....go for the hudy.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was trying to read up on the system but was unable to find some answers, but since my truck is a bit wider than the average Truggy, would I still be able to adjust for this or is the top plate only adjustable to a certain width. I hope that makes sense
Old 12-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Toe

Is this true, the toe in or out is the total of both wheels?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Lord

I was trying to read up on the system but was unable to find some answers, but since my truck is a bit wider than the average Truggy, would I still be able to adjust for this or is the top plate only adjustable to a certain width. I hope that makes sense

100% makes sence......yes you should still be able to use the top plate...as even on a truggy you have to slide it side to side when you measure....basically there's easy 1-2" of play room....what truck do you have that's so wide?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by DustinH
Is this true, the toe in or out is the total of both wheels?

.5 on left and .5 on right would be a total of 1 degree.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Its a T-Maxx 3.3, well not much of one anymore. Ive had it for years and its the truck I have just always enjoyed messing and tweaking with. The suspension is wider with the hub carriers and the arms. I also have it lengthened with a Unlimited Engineering Monoblock. Me and my cousin just recently installed a revo center diff and rear brake into the stock Maxx transmission. Its a fun truck and just really like kicking some Revos on the track, always feels good haha
Old 12-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It makes sense, just wanted to clarify.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Lord

Its a T-Maxx 3.3, well not much of one anymore. Ive had it for years and its the truck I have just always enjoyed messing and tweaking with. The suspension is wider with the hub carriers and the arms. I also have it lengthened with a Unlimited Engineering Monoblock. Me and my cousin just recently installed a revo center diff and rear brake into the stock Maxx transmission. Its a fun truck and just really like kicking some Revos on the track, always feels good haha

you wont have a problem with the 1/8 truggy/buggy decal....and as long as you have 17mm hubs on the T-maxx the station should work just fine.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

When I started racing I used a setup station every day. I used it to help learn what adjustments did what, and how sensitive certain adjustments are. Now years later and running in pro/expert class, I just use a soda can and set it next to my tire for camber, and I eyeball my toe adjustment. LOL!

The setup system cant tell you what roll center is needed, or how much camber gain you should have for a givin track condition. Those things are even more important than the perfect camber and toe adjustments. These types of things are set by feel, just by putting the car in your hands and rolling it side to side. I set droop by measuring the shock length, I believe this is a better way of reaching the desired droop setting. Using chassis blocks and a droop gauge doesn't account for a minor twists or bends in a chassis, or arms, and you have to take your tires off every time. Making speedy setup changes to get a car close to perfect faster, is what the pros do much better than AMA drivers. Because of this when they hit the first qualifier they already have the advantage of running through setups faster than most. The setup system wont help you quickly run through setups.

I do use the setup system on a brand new buggy before it hits the track. This insures everything is dead on for my starting setup.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Lord

makes sence CarCrazy....but remember....98% of guys here are NOT in the Pro/Expert class like you and I...and Dont know exactly what a 1/4 turn on a Camber rod will do...so unless you have a station to begin with...then your setup could be Way off by the time you get it "dialed" in you opinion...but for all you know, you just got used to that crappy set-up with #'s all over the place...when in reality the car would do Much better with a Known true set-up where you can see real #'s in front of your face.....im not debating anything here...but just that most guys arent pro's and cant "feel" the set-up like some can.....and Ill 2nd you statement.....Gary Guest and Chad Bradley both stated " I dont need a station....I can eyeball it and know".
Old 12-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

I whipped out my Hudy Station at the track a few times and could not get anyone to use it. After I got a few to try it, now its basically the track set up station....I am 100 percent sold on it and I use it religously. These cars take a beating, so it really comes in handy and you would be suprised what a good set up will feel like if you have never tried it. I have also caught myself a few times, I thought I has something right and caught my mistake after I put the car on the set up kit.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

a Hudy station will show u some stuff your eyes cant see...my buggy felt dialed after some bikerdude at my local track let us use his Hudy set up station
Old 12-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rkhess
a Hudy station will show u some stuff your eyes cant see...my buggy felt dialed after some bikerdude at my local track let us use his Hudy set up station
those silly biker dude's
Old 12-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

the correct term would be....a 1%er

Rick, FYI..Brett has some Cityblocks, soft, pre-mounted in white just waiting for you. Maybe after you buy that Baja 5T you can get some.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

as much as i hate 2 admit it those gridirons are gonna be the poop!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.