Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many batteries do you have / need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think it is cost effective when you only get 5 packs batteries for race purpose, but you may need to use them as practice in the very beginning. When you think the batteries have quite a drop in performance, get another 5 pack for racing, then the older one leave them as practice packs, and so on. You may not need too much packs to racing, since recharge once in a day is a good idea in race, the 2nd charge will give you more power especially with those GP3300 or Sanyo 3300, nomatter who match them.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Since I will be getting 4 packs of 3300's from scratch (as well as a XXX-S G+, a Novak BL system, and a charger) I need to be careful with the $$$ (at this point I have an ulcer but no matter, I want it...) so can you give me some suggestions of companies with good (doesn't have to be the best or anything) low end MATCHED 3300 Sanyo or GP cells for a great deal? I would like to get 6 cells for $35-37 which I think I have seen but I have no idea if A) they are terrible or B) there is someone better for the same price...

If you have $160 to spend for about 4 packs what would you get and from whom...

I assume most of you use a Dean's Jig which I suppose I will be buying too...
Old 08-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by saabcaptain
If you have $160 to spend for about 4 packs what would you get and from whom...
I have it... in fact.... please contact me and I'll show you some numbers, some of them will be even cheaper with 1.14 ~ 1.15 average volts, and all of them are zaped. I think USD40 can be shipping included.
[email protected]

Last edited by audiaudi; 08-27-2003 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Default Deans Jig

I assume most of you use a Dean's Jig which I suppose I will be buying too...
Now that the topic of a Deans Jig has been brought up;

Has anyone else had to grind their Deans Jig to fit 3300's?
(mine is 4 years old)

Last edited by popsracer; 08-27-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

no pops the new deans jig fits the 3300's
Old 08-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Tech Initiate

If I order a Dean's Jig from the major hobby online outlets will I get one that fits 3300's? Just checking to see if the new Jig is a very recent development...

Also does anyone know if the 3300's fit in the XXX-S G+ without modification to the chassis, I heard the TC3 had to have minor dremel work to fit the 3300's...

One last question: I am pretty sure I know how to work the Dean's and mount the bars but is there a good website with photos and explination in detail of the best method of using the Dean's and making the packs so I have a solid foundation before I ruin my first pack...

I lied... what bars work best to fit the 3300's and the XXX-S?
Old 08-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

No, you do not have to do any dremaling to fit 3300s into the tc3, i use 3300s myself they are from reedy. As for bars i use the deans, but if you cant fit your batterys in your car go for the reedys.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:52 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

They did a running change on the Deans Jig about two years ago to make them fit the 3000+ cells.

Mine was one of the last "nicad" jigs, and I had to grind it out with a dremel. No big deal if you get one of the older ones, You don'y have to grind much. If you don't have a dremel, depending on which cells (3000H and HV ) might squeeze in, mine did, but with 3300's, you will need to dremel the jig.

3300's fit fine in the Losi XXX-S. They are a little tighter than other cells, but they fit fine...

-Troy
Old 08-28-2003, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A link on how to correctly assemble cells.

http://www.promatchracing.com/assemble.htm
Old 08-28-2003, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes POPS... i had to dremel one side of my Deans jig to fit 3300's... as long as i added an extra piece of single cell shrink to each cell. Its just enough to make the cell too big to fit into the jig without excessive force... which is something i dont want to be doing to a 60$ pack. Its a little more time consuming to build a pack with one side of the jig dremeled out, but it sure beats no jig at all!

I personally have four packs to practice with, and two to race with, each class. The better race battery of the two gets used in the second qually... and cooled and reused in the main. My practice packs get abused, sometimes getting recharged after a run and still hot. Resistance has come up a point and i have lost runtime (30-40 seconds or so... as if that really matters with 3300's), but voltage has increased. Sometimes i opt for a practice pack for a qually over my race packs... depends on how they come up when charged. Pen and pad to record numbers with every charge to ensure quality over time is helpful.
- Dave
Old 08-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Batteries

What I would do is this...get cheap raw 3300 cells for about $5 each. 4 packs of 6 will cost you 120. IMHO, matching isnt the utmost importance, especially if you are starting to race.

Pick up a used high end charger for 120-150(I picked up my Integy 16x9 for $150, it's real easy to find the same deal)

Assemble packs and go rip em up

When I used to race, I have 4 race packs, and 6 cheapie practice packs, usually picked up used packs off of team racers or buddies for a good deal for practicing.

The more you keep in your pocket, the more to can spend elsewhere.

The fukyama packs are real cheap too....
Old 08-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Totally in agreement here with dynamic_e here.

Starting out requires more in the learning process so some decent 3300 with lots of runtime will do. Unless you begin to drive consistently without hitting rails and dots, then the match pack will do it's justice.

I would suggest getting a cube of 18 cells which will give you three good pack with plenty of runtime to practice and even race while if you do decide, you can buy one of those inexpensive 1.16 matched packs for your main race. Once you feel confident enough with your driving and soldering, then you can always upgrade and use your older batteries as practice packs. It should last you a while if you race and drive consistently.

Dan
www.fukuyamaracing.com
Old 08-28-2003, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default Deans Jig Grinding

Guys;

Thanks for the replies.

Is really just a minor inconvenence to remove and flip the pack for soldering the other side.

Just wondered if 'DEANS' had made a running change to the Jigs for the 3300's.

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2003, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Batteries

Originally posted by dynamic_e
get cheap raw 3300 cells for about $5 each. 4 packs of 6 will cost you 120.....
Matched packs have a longer time in good condiction, since they are matched. I'll match my cells (total 46 pcs / 8 packs - only practice packs) over once in arround 3 months, for keeping them in shape. This kind of matching is only for longer the life of the packs. I'll re-zapped the cells with a intergy zapper (maintainance purpose) as well. All I wanna say is matching is important if you want to well keep you batteries.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Batteries

Originally posted by audiaudi
Matched packs have a longer time in good condiction, since they are matched. I'll match my cells (total 46 pcs / 8 packs - only practice packs) over once in arround 3 months, for keeping them in shape. This kind of matching is only for longer the life of the packs. I'll re-zapped the cells with a intergy zapper (maintainance purpose) as well. All I wanna say is matching is important if you want to well keep you batteries.
Not neccesary true for the newer GP3300. They are almost maintenence free. Matching is good to stay within the runtime spec so one cell does not dump before the rest of the pack also for voltage cautious racers and normally not for beginners. Do note that most beginners start out with a pre-assembled stick pack. But with the higher runtime found in the 3300 cells, no need to worry about the runtime but instead worry about how you charge and discharge an assembled pack. For runtime purpose, you can buy a cheap tray and tray it so it'll discharge down to 5.4 for 6 cells equally. I can understand where a frequent experience racer will always want a matched pack because it is beneficial for racing. In this case, we have someone who is just starting out so spending heaps to purchase matched packs will yield less benefits so unless he has money to burn which is not the case when he clearly states he wants to spend around $120 la..

Jimmy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.