Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best NiMH packs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 02:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

cracka it does make sense. the best packs for racing that are reasonably priced.

thanks for all the info everyone.

I am new to electric rc, but not rc in general.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sullen909
cracka it does make sense. the best packs for racing that are reasonably priced.
To me "reasonably priced" packs are basher packs or ones only worth practicing with. The better, or best, racing packs are very expensive and all priced about the same. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude19641
The Orion SHO cells are AWESOME! Especially the new 5300s. Lots and lots of power.
I totally agree with that 100%
Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude19641
The Orion SHO cells are AWESOME! Especially the new 5300s. Lots and lots of power.
Great cells.

What charger is the OP using ? Can he assemble cells safely ?

This is relevant to a backwards question LOL.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Team Brood and Integy for sure. I have always liked the GP cells much better than IB but now I am running lipo and they can't even be compared to nimh cells.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use both NiMh and LiPo... I must say that I like the LiPo for the ease of maintenance for mod 4wd especially when running more than one class a night...

A good quality NiMh still has more voltage, thus more punch.. but is about twice the weight as a LiPo.. so they are pretty even.. only problem is that the LiPo is way too light in my opinon for stock buggy racing... very hard to get the car to settle down especially on a rough track or one that has lots of jumps... they do feel a bit punchy but that is just the weight difference..

Guess it all depends on the quality of the NiMh packs people use.. just because they cost alot doesnt mean they last or you maintain them well.. so a $100 NiMh after a few months of use isn't necessarily going to be better than a $40 pack of the same age..

Jerome
Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

This is a good question, as I, too, am getting back into electric R/C... so I would like to know what the best pre-assembled packs would be? I checked out AMain, they have a Trinity 6 Cell matched pre-assembled... is that a good one to go with?

What other brands make pre-assembled NiMH packs?

I'm not quite ready to go LiPo, as that would require me to buy a new charger.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

The lipo vs. nimh war is raging so much right now. I think its because nimh have been around for quite some time. Lipo is new, its fun, its a lot different. But each type of battery have pros and cons that pretty much leave both equal. For the time being that is. I don't think many people can go wrong with either one.

The only real problem with lipos really to me is that they are so new. Some things related to lipos are barely being roar approved. A lot of the battery companies are barely catching up to the ones that took the nose dive from the get go with lipos. But with new technology comes a higher cost. I am sure in two or three years you can get a decent lipo for 40-50 bucks. And a decent digital charger for around 50 also.

Nimh have been around for a while. Most everyone knows how to work with them. How to care for them, etc etc. And every company that sells electric accessory's has at least a few packs or cells for sale. And every charger right now has the compatibility with these batterys. They may take a little more maintenance, but they are essentially user friendly to this industry.

My theory on types of things like batteries, motors, etc etc. The only time they are outdated is when you see less than two ads in any of the major rc magazines. Whens the last time you saw a ad for nicd batterys in xtreme or rccar action. I still see ads for nimh batteries, I also see ads for lipos. But in a couple years that will be different.

I will most likely buy both types and a charger to charge both types. The information you guys have given me, gives me a few choices on batteries.

And hopefully this thread has helped other people also.

Now someone needs to make a Best Lipo thread.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sullen909
The lipo vs. nimh war is raging so much right now. I think its because nimh have been around for quite some time. Lipo is new, its fun, its a lot different. But each type of battery have pros and cons that pretty much leave both equal. For the time being that is. I don't think many people can go wrong with either one.

The only real problem with lipos really to me is that they are so new. Some things related to lipos are barely being roar approved. A lot of the battery companies are barely catching up to the ones that took the nose dive from the get go with lipos. But with new technology comes a higher cost. I am sure in two or three years you can get a decent lipo for 40-50 bucks. And a decent digital charger for around 50 also.

Nimh have been around for a while. Most everyone knows how to work with them. How to care for them, etc etc. And every company that sells electric accessory's has at least a few packs or cells for sale. And every charger right now has the compatibility with these batterys. They may take a little more maintenance, but they are essentially user friendly to this industry.

My theory on types of things like batteries, motors, etc etc. The only time they are outdated is when you see less than two ads in any of the major rc magazines. Whens the last time you saw a ad for nicd batterys in xtreme or rccar action. I still see ads for nimh batteries, I also see ads for lipos. But in a couple years that will be different.

I will most likely buy both types and a charger to charge both types. The information you guys have given me, gives me a few choices on batteries.

And hopefully this thread has helped other people also.

Now someone needs to make a Best Lipo thread.

You can get a lipo pack for 45 bucks and you can get a digital lipo charger for 39.99 www.hobbycity.com turnigy accucell and yeah racing lipo's.

NIMH are so last summer brother.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Suspended

this sounds like a chocolate versus vanilla argument
Old 09-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

like apples and oranges
Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
You can get a lipo pack for 45 bucks and you can get a digital lipo charger for 39.99 www.hobbycity.com turnigy accucell and yeah racing lipo's.

NIMH are so last summer brother.
so are cheap lipos
Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

Originally Posted by cracka
so are cheap lipos
+1, don't mess with the cheap lipos. You are putting yourself and others in danger. Stick with reputable companies!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I have some excellent BRAND NEW GP 3700 6 cell packs on ebay right now, very good prices, team_chris72 seller id.

But seriously, The GP 3700's are a good cell for the money.
The "best" I have had though have been Slingshot EP 4200 cells
Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Suspended

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.