Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Jaco Rubber Tires >

New Jaco Rubber Tires

New Jaco Rubber Tires

Old 08-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
From what I heard about the race in Portland, the foam tires had no bite on the nitro cars either and they, too, wore out prematurely. That is very unusual.
Obviously the track has a huge impact on what works and what doesn't. These tires were developed by testing at the Florida state series- all asphalt tracks. The fact that they work on carpet is an added bonus. Until someone tries greens at that track, I think it is premature to pass judgement on the tires' performance.
From what I saw some of the nitros worked and some didn't. They at least had the chance to run what ever tire they liked. I personally didn't think there was a wear problem with the tires. More of a side bite issue, When I get back to SIR I am gonna try adding camber but it will be a tough comparassion to the Portland track. SIR grip is insane.

Being more of a carpet racer, I an anxious to try them on the rug.

RedRocket
Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TeamButter
When people say these tires are slower in their opinion they are referring to tenths of second per lap which MAY add up to 3-4 seconds during an entire race. I can guarantee that we are all responsible for more time loss than that on the track by clipping dots and boards.
I don't think anyone out there wants to be put at an immediate half lap disadvantage before the starting horn. That's why myself and others are working towards a solution for alternate tires. I don't want to put my racers at a loss right off the bat. At our track, on any given Saturday, .3 of a lap is the difference in being TQ, or being 6th.
So, with that in mind, can we get back on point, and get a workable solution for the Jaco Tires.
What I'm hearing is that you need more camber, anyone got a starting point suggestion. I tried 2.5deg, have others tried more? Less?
I've also heard running thicker shock oil is better. I'm currently running 35 weight oil, Corally shocks, stock pistons. I'm currently running 1.3 sway bars front and rear. Have others found going with stiffer sways to help.
Let's get a general group of setup suggestions on this board all consolidated so we can help each other.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

change the inserts and these tires would be dailed. i personally think they are to flat which requires you to make your car roll more than you have with previous cs or sorex etc, tires. but wear on these tires are like slim to none, good rubber, but i think w.e inserts the jaco blues have is a no gooder.. i hope Jack will be bringing out a new bash out with a improvement (of the inserts)
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roberto Falcon
change the inserts and these tires would be dailed. i personally think they are to flat which requires you to make your car roll more than you have with previous cs or sorex etc, tires. but wear on these tires are like slim to none, good rubber, but i think w.e inserts the jaco blues have is a no gooder.. i hope Jack will be bringing out a new bash out with a improvement (of the inserts)
What are you talking about What is there to improve there is nothing wrong with the tire.!! It's the setup...

thehobbyshop you have PM...
Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
If you think about it though the statement is kind of false. I drive inconsistently every run. If we are talking a .3 second per lap difference between tires on average then it is a real 7 seconds (on our track). Hard to explain but we are talking averages here. We aren't saying .3 seconds per lap slower on one particular run, on average .3 seconds slower.

I will give you setup, I won't give you that driving makes up for it. Im consistently inconsistent
i understand ik was just trying 2 make the point that pople like 2 complain alot insted of trying new things
Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thehobbyshop
I don't think anyone out there wants to be put at an immediate half lap disadvantage before the starting horn. That's why myself and others are working towards a solution for alternate tires. I don't want to put my racers at a loss right off the bat. At our track, on any given Saturday, .3 of a lap is the difference in being TQ, or being 6th.
So, with that in mind, can we get back on point, and get a workable solution for the Jaco Tires.
What I'm hearing is that you need more camber, anyone got a starting point suggestion. I tried 2.5deg, have others tried more? Less?
I've also heard running thicker shock oil is better. I'm currently running 35 weight oil, Corally shocks, stock pistons. I'm currently running 1.3 sway bars front and rear. Have others found going with stiffer sways to help.
Let's get a general group of setup suggestions on this board all consolidated so we can help each other.
I agree with what you are saying, however very few clubs or "big events" use an open tire. Perhaps I should have been more clear or concise in my statement. IF this tire is being used as a handout, no one has an advantage but if you run a Jaco blue that lasts 5-8 runs competitively against say a Yokomo 138 G that lasts exactly 1.5 runs then you will have a problem. I think it is only fair to compare apples to apples.

I don't quite understand why it has been so hard for people to adapt to a new tire. Let us not forget that S-13's were the tire of choice in the beginning. Subsequent to that tire 100's of tires have come out some faster with no tire life some not faster but with an extended wear life. In the end the tire that was RELATIVELY fast and had long wear characteristics won out. We now have a similar situation. Hopefully there will be a resolution soon. All I can say is that Jaco is CONSTANTLY trying to improve the available product for its consumers.

Now back to the setup questions, as I posted before the camber link length seems to have a role in the wear of this tire. Shorter and more parallel links have worked best for me. However you may need to find that sweet spot on your car. Spring rates and oil Wt. have not had a profound effect on my particular car. I run 17 Lb front spring with a 14 Lb rear spring with 30 wt Xray oil and typically 2-3 holes open depending on the track. I always use sway bars and this may aid in limiting the sidewall roll.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Jack,

YGPM about World GT tires.

-James
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Private Message for Jack

Hi, Jack!

Just sent you a PM!

Thanks!

s-
Old 08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TeamButter
I agree with what you are saying, however very few clubs or "big events" use an open tire. Perhaps I should have been more clear or concise in my statement. IF this tire is being used as a handout, no one has an advantage but if you run a Jaco blue that lasts 5-8 runs competitively against say a Yokomo 138 G that lasts exactly 1.5 runs then you will have a problem. I think it is only fair to compare apples to apples.

I don't quite understand why it has been so hard for people to adapt to a new tire. Let us not forget that S-13's were the tire of choice in the beginning. Subsequent to that tire 100's of tires have come out some faster with no tire life some not faster but with an extended wear life. In the end the tire that was RELATIVELY fast and had long wear characteristics won out. We now have a similar situation. Hopefully there will be a resolution soon. All I can say is that Jaco is CONSTANTLY trying to improve the available product for its consumers.

Now back to the setup questions, as I posted before the camber link length seems to have a role in the wear of this tire. Shorter and more parallel links have worked best for me. However you may need to find that sweet spot on your car. Spring rates and oil Wt. have not had a profound effect on my particular car. I run 17 Lb front spring with a 14 Lb rear spring with 30 wt Xray oil and typically 2-3 holes open depending on the track. I always use sway bars and this may aid in limiting the sidewall roll.
I totally agree with you on handout tires. The Sweep 36's at Nationals weren't the best tire, but everybody was running them. However, Jack has a tire that is now in an open marketplace having to run against other manufacturers tires on the club racing level. And lets face it, selling a bunch of tires at next to no profit for major races isn't going to keep tire companies wanting to improve their products. So, they need to make up that money on the club racing level. Most of the tracks I've been to on the club level don't spec a tire, so the field is wide open to the fastest wins.

As to the shorter parallel links, that's a great example of what I'm trying to get everyone to place their input here so all of us can try things, and then give feedback to the manufacturer. It's interesting that you've found that spring weights and oils haven't had a big effect on the wear. Have you messed with different thickness sway bars?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Finally got to run the blues on some high traction carpet tonight. They were awesome.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mr Jack Rimer,
you have a PM.

Thankyou
Old 08-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Anybody having trouble with Prism rims being warped out of the package? I've had two sets now where one of the tires had a good wobble to it before ever seeing the track.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:39 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Anybody having trouble with Prism rims being warped out of the package? I've had two sets now where one of the tires had a good wobble to it before ever seeing the track.
I had some foam tires like that last year. What I found is that around the axle hole on the inside of the hex there was some left over flashing (SP?) from the mold. I just ran something flat with a wider blade around the inside of the hex and it was all good.

EA
Old 08-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks like greens are the way to go at my local track. Seem to last pretty well also. You really need to keep an eye on the camber though.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Guys

Are the Serpent Xceed tyres, jaco rubberz on the old dish wheel?
We dont get the Jaco Rubberz here in the uk.

Rich

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.