Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Sportsmanship or stupid? >

Sportsmanship or stupid?

Sportsmanship or stupid?

Old 08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

RC racing is NOT 1:1 racing..stop the comparisons..If you wish to race like a jerk so be it..I will race you the same way.. What some of you seem to forget is RC racing for the most part is very short..cant wait around forever and on some tracks it can be hard to pass someone if their in the racing line..
Old 08-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

F1 last race the leaders lapped up to 12th place. In doing so they lap cars battling for position. some spaced @ under 2s when the leaders caught them. still moved !!

I don't believe in our RC racing, It's necessary for back markers to leap out the way lose vast amounts of time. Simiply as I said earilier a few times. Within a reasonable amount of time they ensure the fast guys can get through untroubled.

YOU DONT LOSE TIME, AS THE BUGGY INFRONT SHOULD DO THE SAME !!

IT seems so easy.......

Luckily if you don't do it over here any anything other than a club meet the RD will tell ya too. So people catch on quick.

I'm completely un interested now in this thread now, as the argument seems to have lost any meaning to me.

I believe im right and I'm sure so does David. So we'll just have to disagree, I can handle that

Rod
Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

and on the "if your racing for position" I am assuming that the leaders got by the cars your racing with..so what makes you so special..they moved over....is it you dont think you have the skills to stay ahead of the other back markers..
Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ROTFL Is it worth the arguement If your a fast driver that's one thing! If your a fast driver that can "drive" that again is a different skill level !
I have seen all this play out time and time as I own and operate ETMR in Massachusetts, and see the local hot shoe get all wound up when someone gets tangled with him, and I have to laugh. I have been in both places and everywhere inbetween(pretty much a regular in the middle LOL) If you can drive THEN DRIVE !! If your fast and THINK you can drive , don't try to drive through me !!!GO AROUND if you can ! This will make you a better driver! DO NOT EXPECT ME TO GET OUT OF YOUR WAY ! That's crazy I don't care how many laps I may be down by , I am going to hold my line as best I can you need to race me fair and square ! How can I get better if I have to pull over to let this fast as hell driver by I could never catch anyway !
See the point here ??
Thinking about everything is what racing is all about. You forget something and you wreck ! simple.
I have seen sooo many times the slower guy trying to get out of the way cause the wreck . I tell them just hold your line and drive your pace! this works the best . Nothing worse than a race director yelling at someone to get out of the leader's way ? I can see the RD yelling at someone for cutting the track or rough driving but that's about it , oh and getting after the lazy marshal LOL .
Old 08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You want to learn driving and courtesy and hacking all in a quick summer? Run a gas truck in the monster truck class for awhile. You'll learn what should or should not happen, how to get out of the way, what it feels like to be hacked, moved, or broke, and you'll inevitably learn one or two ways to retaliate as well. And also you'll probably either quit or learn to drive decently. lol

I agree with almost every post on here. Except for the one that said you should never, ever, eveeeeeeeeeerrr... move somebody over. I don't think it should be done right off the bat, but I think when I was new they told me 3 corners and then showed me what that meant.
: )
But remember, there is always somebody faster.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

IMO David and Plowpop are Right here! I think we are all saying the samething. I am a huge NASCAR fan and they do practice what david has been saying, and when it comes to short track racing they dont just give up no matter what lap they are on.(except if they are buy thier self). If they are racing someone for position the leader does race behind them tell the one infront makes a mistake, at that point he will make his move to race the next car!

Now I am 1 of the slower guys in R/C. As a beginner i was that person all over the track trying to stay out of everyones way, and was very nervouis about that too! the only focus i had was my car not anyone else. Heck i didnt want someone to say something to me while i was driving because i couldnt focus then.LOL now ive gotten alot better! LOL and can race cleaner. Now must of the time if i am racing someone and the the faster guy come in play i am focusd on racing that person. not stoping to let someone by. he/she will make it around me somewhere and everything is good. but if i am by my self and i know that this is a leader coming behind me i wll let that person go. But i have ran into this where someone is comeing up on me and i dont know who he/she is and what place they are in and i am racing that person, so you maybe finding that happening more becasue i or everyone out there does not know who everybody is racing against.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Adept

So... Merciless, Oasis, and mremtr...

You feel all of the drivers that move out of the way in this video where in the wrong or should not have moved and held their line?

Pro RC Race passing Example

It's up to us to teach proper race etiquette. I understand what mermtr is saying and I agree in some aspect, but I do feel that this topic is very situational and driver skill dependent. In weekend races you have a great mixture of drivers so yes that can be hard to manage.

Agreed an unskilled driver trying to move aside can make matters worse and telling them to hold their line I feel is the correct action until they become a better driver, but eventually that driver should be skilled enough to show proper race etiquette shown in this pro RC racing video.

A good driver should also be skilled enough to just move off their line a tad to let someone by, no time loss there.

As I said in previous posts showing examples of situations a skilled driver can work around slow driver with ease and each situation is different. A skilled driver would have the etiquette and patience to drive a clean race and pass properly and wait for back marker battles to play out ahead of them. and a skilled driver can pull off their line a tad if they know someone on their tail is faster and let them by with little to no loss of time.

-Don
Old 08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Got one thing to ask, Now in that vedio was there not passing going on in diff race lines!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

if so wouldnt that apply to HOLD YOUR LINE and the more skilled racer will make a pass around you?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

What your watching is a race with the top RC drivers in the world.

The passing you see are other top drivers making line adjustments letting the top two drivers (Mayfeild and I think that was the Drake) race by. There are even two situations you can see drivers pulled way off and just about stopped really close to the hay bails. Once one the back after the table (yellow car dn time 2:21) and another driver at the beginning of the front straight (white car dn time 1:44). One car took an outside line down the straight and slowed enough to let both pass (dn time 2:34).

They all moved off the better line to let the two leaders pass.

-Don
Old 08-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And the hits just keep on coming.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

So at what skill level are we comparing, (Apple and Oranges) Pro or Local. At local level i have all ways been told to run my line and the more skilled racer will make the pass
Old 08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Even though I knew it would probably happen...I really didn't intend for some people to get angry over the discussion here. I believe that the newbie may could read through this and possibly gain some insight to racing...and apply it if he/she so chooses.

Once again...I want to thank everyone for their opinions and experiences that you've posted here. This is a great discussion....I hit a home run with this one. j/k
Old 08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BlackBart
So at what skill level are we comparing, (Apple and Oranges) Pro or Local. At local level i have all ways been told to run my line and the more skilled racer will make the pass
If that is what you been told and that is working for you I'd say keep doing that.

I can't be a judge of your driving skill, but eventually when someones skills gets very good and a driver finds themself in top intermediate/semi pro or pro you should be able to move off your line a tad and let another pro driver skirt by... then try to follow their line because if they are laping you they are likely faster and if you try their line and follow them it should help your skills.

Again situation and depends on driving skill. If you have been told that I'd have to assume your somewhere in the intermediate class, but remember I can't judge your skill.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by skeller
Even though I knew it would probably happen...I really didn't intend for some people to get angry over the discussion here. I believe that the newbie may could read through this and possibly gain some insight to racing...and apply it if he/she so chooses.

Once again...I want to thank everyone for their opinions and experiences that you've posted here. This is a great discussion....I hit a home run with this one. j/k
I don't think anyone is really upset... well I'd like to think they are not.... seems like a healty debate to me and a good topic. I feel it's important to discuss this in the racing community.

And I hope your getting some good insight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.