Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 28C 4000/5000 Hardcase Lipo part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I use the dn power lipo balance charger. I got the unit free awhile ago when purchasing new batteries on a promotional deal for my T-rex. This charger doesn't actually balance, instead it charges every cell individually through the balance tab. It has adapters for up to a 4s lipo with the align tabs, which are what come on Danny's cells. It also has a slot to make your own harness. The downfalls are; max charge rate of 2amps per cell and it only displays voltage, so you can't see how many mah's you are putting back into your pack. I generally only use this charger at home to prep for days at the track, and I use it all the time for my heli packs. At the track I don't worry about balancing my cells.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Danny,
Great Planes makes a hi power adapter for the equinox p/n-gpmm3185. I would be curious to know if this helps with the low amperage problem that I experience in the interface mode with the equinox. From what I hear it charges through the balance leads as well as the discharge leads. As soon as my 4000s come in I will check it out.
Peace,
Casey
Old 05-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Picked up a couple of the new 28C 4000mah packs and raced this last weekend, performed great.

I am very pleased with these batts, plus the 20.5mm height makes them a 100% perfect fit under the Xray battery strap w/o modifications.

If anyone is considering the SMC 28C LiPo batteries, +1 on a recommendation.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
Picked up a couple of the new 28C 4000mah packs and raced this last weekend, performed great.

I am very pleased with these batts, plus the 20.5mm height makes them a 100% perfect fit under the Xray battery strap w/o modifications.

If anyone is considering the SMC 28C LiPo batteries, +1 on a recommendation.
Good to know. I have an Xray '008 on the way so I just ordered a SMC 4000
Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mojoman
Danny,
Great Planes makes a hi power adapter for the equinox p/n-gpmm3185. I would be curious to know if this helps with the low amperage problem that I experience in the interface mode with the equinox. From what I hear it charges through the balance leads as well as the discharge leads. As soon as my 4000s come in I will check it out.
Peace,
Casey

When I tried to use the Equinox with the regular harness using a 3 amp charge which is what the balance connectors are rated for I was getting to much resistance thus the voltage my charger was seeing was about .40 volts higher.

You can make your own high power adapter using the harness that came with the Equinox. Where the harness has the male connetor which is the connector where you plug in the Lipo balance connector just cut the outer red and outer black wires. These are the 2 power wires which you can put your favorite connector and then plug into the Lipos power leads and use the Equinox in link mode and it will work well.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
When I tried to use the Equinox with the regular harness using a 3 amp charge which is what the balance connectors are rated for I was getting to much resistance thus the voltage my charger was seeing was about .40 volts higher.

You can make your own high power adapter using the harness that came with the Equinox. Where the harness has the male connetor which is the connector where you plug in the Lipo balance connector just cut the outer red and outer black wires. These are the 2 power wires which you can put your favorite connector and then plug into the Lipos power leads and use the Equinox in link mode and it will work well.

Danny,

I feel it would be in your best interest to place safety warning labels on your 5000 packs that let racers know that "STLNLST" is now running them and once he's on the straight a way "SMC" isn't responsible for what may happen to their car should they get in the way......LOL

Ran this pack in my main at the Reedy and felt I had too much power with my motor. I can't wait to run it with a 3.5 Norcal racers will never be the same. Great product bro. You can thank Art and Mo for this satisfied customer
Old 05-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Company Representative

Glad to hear the packs are running well for you. I will consider changing the sticker.LOL. Now we have to try and keep up with the orders which has been a bit of a challenge as the packs are really popular.

Were you warming the pack up or just running it at ambient temperature ?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Glad to hear the packs are running well for you. I will consider changing the sticker.LOL. Now we have to try and keep up with the orders which has been a bit of a challenge as the packs are really popular.

Were you warming the pack up or just running it at ambient temperature ?
I ran in at ambient temperature. I didn't want to warm the pack in fear of it losing a little life. Will heating them up shorten the life of the pack? Art kept telling me to heat it up but I didn't listen.

Popular is an under statement.....these packs came in at Speedworld and were gone in 5min. I had to wait for the 2nd shipment to get some packs. I'm glad to see that business is doing well. I have my two packs for now so I should be fine for quite some time.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

isn't this one better? Hobby city
Old 05-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bosley
isn't this one better? Hobby city
Uhm...no. For a variety of reasons.

Not hard-cased therefore not legal for sanctioned racing.

MUCH lower C-rating. The SMC battery at 28C is fully 40% higher than the Hobby City's 20C...and as we're seeing higher C-ratings tend to equal higher voltage and lower IR, etc. Actually, if you read the description, it looks like the battery is rated for a sustained 17C with 23C bursts and that they've averaged those to create the 20C number. Bad science, lame marketing, inferior product...pick your favorite two.

The SMC battery comes with a Deans connector pre-installed.

Read the comments below the Hobby City one...it seems the mah has been significantly overstated as well.

You can bet the guy who makes/markets them isn't regularly on a public forum answering questions and making suggestions re: using his product.

Need I go on? The SMC's are WELL worth over double the price for the battery you've linked to.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

does the SMC 5000mah 28C fit the cyclone moorespeed edition, and if so, where can i buy the packs from with a recommended balancer?

also final question, does the SMC lipo come with a corraly plug style conenction? i'm not too much of a fan of the deans type, it looks messy on the car.

cheers
Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Danny/SMC,
Are your LiPo packs encased in hard resin within the outer hard case? Like the velocity racing packs.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomB
does the SMC 5000mah 28C fit the cyclone moorespeed edition, and if so, where can i buy the packs from with a recommended balancer?

also final question, does the SMC lipo come with a corraly plug style conenction? i'm not too much of a fan of the deans type, it looks messy on the car.

cheers
The only TC the 5K pack will fit is the TC5 that I am aware of. It wont fit under the top deck of others. I have mine in my Xray and the way its setup it allows you to put all the weight where it needs to be...Towards the inside of the battery...Not the outside. That is the worst way to add weight when running a lipo.

The SMC packs only come with very heavy 12 guage wire and deans connectors. There is to much performance loss using a PC type system and corally connectors.

EA
Old 05-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TomB

cheers
You have to do some grinding and shaving to get a 5000 pack to fit. The 4000 goes in with no problems but the 5000 will require some work.

Once the body goes on the messy look is gone and the deans plugs don't look all that bad.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Danny, is there a chemistry change between the 5000/22c and the 5000/28c or are the copper tabs just thicker with heavier gauge wire ?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.