Wiki Posts
Search

OCM KAOS DOMINATING

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BUGGYRACER99
Well i bought it from my local hobby shop. They had won one and they were selling it. It was the most updated one I guess you guys call it the EVO. The internal gears were completely stripped. That is not the only isssue that i have had. Maybe it is just me being new to this hobby but i bent the front shock tower on the first tank. Is there something i can use or do to make that stronger.

Thanks,
Are you bashing with it?

The shock towers are as strong as any other brand out there.

Look over the last page or two of this thread...there are detalied instructions on how to shim your ring/pinion gears and which internal shims to use.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Mr Keller,

Thanks for the quick response but I was not bashing this buggy. I was mearly trying to club race in the sportsman class. I guess i am confused. I looked back at some of the older post and it says to use the kyosho shim kit. Shouldnt i use the OcM parts instead of some other manufactures. I disagree alittle on the shock tower part. There were many others with other cars much older then mine hitting harder.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Did you change out the grease in the diffs for diff oil before running for the first time? If you didn't, it is possible that there was insufficient fluid in the diffs causing them to be overactive, overheat and eventually grenade.

What did you hit that caused the shock tower to bend? Do you have any pictures of either the blown diff or the shock tower?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BUGGYRACER99
Mr Keller,

Thanks for the quick response but I was not bashing this buggy. I was mearly trying to club race in the sportsman class. I guess i am confused. I looked back at some of the older post and it says to use the kyosho shim kit. Shouldnt i use the OcM parts instead of some other manufactures. I disagree alittle on the shock tower part. There were many others with other cars much older then mine hitting harder.
The internal shims are OCM shims...the Kyosho shims mentioned are for shimming the ring/pinion gear for tighter mesh. OCM makes all the required shims for te internal gears. As for the bent shock tower...I've been racing this buggy for well over a year now and have only bent 1 shock tower. It was bent in Atlanta at the Psycho Nitro Blast by a truggy in a head on collision. It actually broke but bent close to 45 deg. before it snapped. I've seen many different makes of buggy and truggy bend and break shock towers...it mostly depends on how/what you crashed/were crashed into because MOST companies use the same type/grade of aluminum for these parts.

Hope this helps,

SK
Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Shane, Thanks for the package.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell
Shane, Thanks for the package.
Damn..you got it already?!!

No problem dude.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Hey Shane. Just joined the OCM club! Got 2 buggy's I need to get ready for the first round of the midwest series the 10th. Lookin forward to wheeling these bad boys! First thing I noticed is how much smoother the steering is than my old Moo. Do you know if you canm get just the bushings for the ackerman when they get sloppy or do you need to order the whole shebang? Lookin forward to adding what I can and learning a bunch.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slaytanic
Hey Shane. Just joined the OCM club! Got 2 buggy's I need to get ready for the first round of the midwest series the 10th. Lookin forward to wheeling these bad boys! First thing I noticed is how much smoother the steering is than my old Moo. Do you know if you canm get just the bushings for the ackerman when they get sloppy or do you need to order the whole shebang? Lookin forward to adding what I can and learning a bunch.
Hmm, not sure. I'm still using the original ackerman plate that didn't have bushings.

Anybody else know?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

happy you like them so far slaytanic let me know if you need anything else.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

This is what I was looking at.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12934

I havn't tore into it yet so I don't know if it is a different part# than this. I just noticed that 1 of the buggys has a bit of slop there so I was looking at reducing it.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

buggyracer99:

Here is where I feel the problem lies with your diffs. If I read correctly you said the gasket was a black one. The factory must have made a mistake and installed these instead of the thinner ones we have. I would need to measure things to make sure this is correct. If you send us back the diff I will be glad to build you another one and make sure it is good I can also send you some parts and we can hope that was the issue. Take some pics if you want us to send some parts over to [email protected], or send the diffs back to:

OCM USA
Attention: ALAN BURTON
324 Lullaby lane
Birmingham, Alabama

I would rather get all the diffs back so I can assure you have zero issues in the future.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

As for the shock tower, it is hard for us to say what should and should not have bent a tower. It is easy for one to say that another brand buggy did not bend his and he wrecked the exact same way. I have had wrecks that I surely felt should have DESTROYED my car. The most recent one was a race in FT WALTON beach Florida and I was leading the race with about 10 minutes to go. Another racer jumped out of his lane off a high speed jump and I was coming at him wide open down the straight and we hit! It broke the entire front end of his buggy damaging both arms, shock rod broke in three places, shock tower, steering link, and c-hub assemb. My OCM lived to race another day! I had several peopple witness this.

Now, I was also going through some whoops once(MID SPEED) and flipped quickly and dug the tower into a face and bent it badly. Did not look bad but you have to think it stuck into the clay and had the speed it was going plus 7 pounds of weight working against the tower.

Truly I can not say in your case because I did not see it. This is not something you will have a continuous problem with sportsman or not Like Shane said, yes it can happen but not too often.

Thanks!

AB
Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

As for now we do not offer just the inserts as in most cases it will be the plate itself that wears slop in it. But getting a new assembly is pretty cheap and will set ya straight for some time

Still the original Shane?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Rookie

I appericate the offer to send the diff back. I just have a problem with sending back a diff to for you to build. I guess i need to send all three diffs back cause they all had black gaskets. I can see if this was a used car. This was a brand new car. I am going to do some more looking into the shock tower. I flipped going through some small rollers and the i got turned back over and my shock was just flopping around. I did measure the thickness where it broke. It was little over 1mm because of the bushing and front mill out. I am sorry i just didnt think it would be this must trouble to have a good time.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ABURTON
As for now we do not offer just the inserts as in most cases it will be the plate itself that wears slop in it. But getting a new assembly is pretty cheap and will set ya straight for some time

Still the original Shane?
Yes...2nd gen kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.