Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC8 motor problems, can you help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default RC8 motor problems, can you help?

I received our new RC8 RTR today. It started right up and ran fine. The first thing I did was to run two tanks of 20% through at an idle. After filling the tank for the third time, I inserted the starting shaft into the back of the motor, squeezed the trigger on the starter, the starting shaft spins but the motor does not turn over. I made sure that the shaft was inserted all the way into the back for the motor, tried again, but the same problem. I pulled the motor from the car and I am able to turn the motor by hand from the gear on the front with no problem. I removed the 4 screws that hold the back on and removed the back from the motor. Nothing looks broken. I put it back together, making sure that everything was put back the way it came apart. I held the motor in my hand, put the starting shaft into the back, pulled the trigger and it is still doing the same thing. Any ideas on what may be going wrong here?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont know how roto starters work, but maybe you stripped something?

thats kinda what it sounds like.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

pull the back plate with the roto starter off and i'd be willing to bet that there is a gear broken or the one way bearing that is on the back of the crak nk is not working .... now when you turn the engine over you should have compression trying to fight the engine form spinning make sure the gear on the front of the motor spins freely if not you could have a clutch problem just some things to check
Old 04-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yea, i dont have any experience with the rc8 quick start, but sounds like a stripped one-way bearing.. its a small roller bearing that only spins one direction (both ways if its broken, lol)...check that out..
Old 04-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Spray the bearing with some sort of cleaner like alcohol or something and then put it back on the motor and see if it grabs. I have dealt with several bearings slipping because of the oil content in the fuel.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

hydralock- or bad one-way or e-starter is dead...maybe clutch stuck to bell as-well...
Old 04-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If nothing is spinning, then the backplate engagement is broken. If the crank spins, you might have a broken rod. I've seen one snap on the first tank.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Garrison
.... now when you turn the engine over you should have compression trying to fight the engine form spinning...
Yes, the motor does still have great compression. I removed the head and I can see the piston moving up and down as I spin the gear the the front of the motor. I ran out to the hardware store to purchase a snap ring tool to remove the snap ring holding the quick start bearing assembly together. I did make sure that pin that connects the quck start assembly to the piston rod was still in tact and it was. I will try cleaning the assembly prior to taking it apart to see if that will work.

Thanks for the suggestions.....now back to the work bench!!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Sounds like a one-way bearing. AE part number 25371

If you have a starter box at your disposal, you could start it that way and eliminate the need for that POS drill starter.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

throw the OWB into some alcohol and spin it around to clean it and it should work again
Old 04-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

I wish I had a starter box, I may just go to my LHS, pick one up and be done with it.

I figured out what the problem is. If you look close at this picture, you will see a crack going from top to bottom, toward the center of where the notch is.

Is direct from AE the only place to get this part?

Last edited by H2oSprayer; 04-25-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Lord

You'll be much happier with a bump starter box.............
Old 04-26-2008, 04:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by H2oSprayer
I wish I had a starter box, I may just go to my LHS, pick one up and be done with it.

I figured out what the problem is. If you look close at this picture, you will see a crack going from top to bottom, toward the center of where the notch is.

Is direct from AE the only place to get this part?
I may be overlooking this... but he says "look close at this pic". That makes me think that its hard to see... is it the HUGE line down the middle thats easy to see or is it some tiny one thats barely to see......

I think i know what that part is, is it the part on the backplate, that goes into the one way bearing?
Old 04-26-2008, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, that is the crack that you are seeing. I wasn't sure how large the photo was going to be when it posted. I was able to find the part diagram on AE's website and it is the part number that was given above. Is direct from AE the only place to get it? I have looked all over the net and have been unable to find it anywhere else and my LHS is a joke.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i live in elgin if you need any help with that you can send me a pm and i can help you out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.