Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing the hobby mainstream

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SQC049
Who are you? Donating your time, listen to this clown.

Don't you think the big R/C companies have a marketing department already?

You are not the first person to come up with an ideal of making R/C "mainstream", it is never going to happen. I love how you think you will be the catalyst of change.
Your responce is totally un called for. If you dont agree stay out of the thread.

Last edited by Aaron Waldron; 04-07-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: language
Old 04-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

This is a hobby and many who participate donate there time to the hobby. They donate it by helping others in the hobby, they donate it by spending time fixing up the local track at the LHS or public park and they donate there time here on the board helping each other out.

I think its great that an educated adult can and is willing to donate there professional time to this hobby. That is more respectful and beneficial to the RC community as a hole than just hanging out at your LHS and being an internet forum quaterback.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomBlaze
I am pulling for ya buddy. Hopefully, any success here will eventually catch on around the world. Your English is pretty good. I was actually able to understand that. Good luck with the racing, friend!
I know my english is not perfect - still have to make it better, but I'm allways doing my best (I have spent one month in UK - work).

It should be great if some companies could sponsor some drivers also in countries like mine (at least one small that tunes motors or batteries - it doesn't matter - just some support) some people like me can appreciate it - it's also advertisement for them.

I still hope for better future. Good luck to you too, friend.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Oh I had an afterthought about consolidation. I really do see the points that were made about team loyalty. Another way to promote the product would be to parter with the larger electronics giants like Best Buy or Circuit City.

As an example, lets say Schumacher decides to aggressively market their upcoming Cat 4WD. They can easily broker a deal with a company like Best Buy to carry their product. Best Buy would most likely kick in for advertising and Schumacher would have their new Cat 4WD advertised in Best Buy's mailers as well as possibly get a spot on TV.

All the manufacturers can do this with Best Buy or any other electronics retail outlets. A possible side effect would be that smaller hobby shops could get choked on sales, but then again hobby shops would have something that the large retail stores don't - tracks. They can focus less on product and more on track building and running events and have them sponsored by the large chains keeping cost at bay as it would be in the interest of these businesses to promote the products they carry. One way or another there can be a happy medium found. Drivers could start getting sponsored by these franchises as well increasing income potential for the sport and eventually bringing national and international events to TV.

I actually like this idea better than consolidation though I think consolidation is still a viable options for those companies that just resell other companies products under a different name.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
This is a hobby and many who participate donate there time to the hobby. They donate it by helping others in the hobby, they donate it by spending time fixing up the local track at the LHS or public park and they donate there time here on the board helping each other out.

I think its great that an educated adult can and is willing to donate there professional time to this hobby. That is more respectful and beneficial to the RC community as a hole than just hanging out at your LHS and being an internet forum quaterback.
That's true. I also helps newbies when they need it, because everyone started once and also needed help.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

I think the problem with a best buy is the support. Anyone can sell a buggy or a kit, but can your sales person give you the tips and advice the LHS can? Probally not. Then also the parts. You would have to stock each and every little part just like the lhs, not to mention the electronics, tools, tires ect...

If your going to say, "we can just order it on line" well you can order the buggy on line too.

The issue isnt getting the buggies and trucks to the people, its getting the people to the hobby. That is where the advertising for the hobby comes in. The hobby needs to be advertised, not the brands. Advertise the hobby as a hole and let the brands catch up. They will advertise too. If you watch any motocross event, almost all of the commericals on at that time relate to the sponcers, manufactures, or what is going on in general.

If your trying to get buggies into the hands of the masses you should be trying to get tower, amain, ect... to advertise in non common ground. Banners on yahoo, google, my space, ect. That would be more effective than trying to get a national store to carry cars.

On the other hand if your looking to get the masses to the hobby, you need event coverage. Like you said before, Spike tv, speed, ect...
Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

With this day and age i don't see it going mainstream anytime soon, i have just got back into this sport after a 20yr absence and the reason i got back into it was due to a medical injury that will not allow me to race mx any more, i see to many other cheaper things for kids and adults to do and a basic electric RTR car with enough stuff to get you going is still as mentioned about $400 bucks, i think if more cities got involved with things like this it could make it grow again, look at all the skateparks popping up the are city run, i live in the I.E. of SO CAL and just about every city around has a skate park, if the city parks would build some rc tracks that might get more interest going for the younger crowd as there are only 3 tracks currently for off-road in my area and they are spread out on opposite ends of the spectrum just my 2cents.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

OG and TrxRacer, You both make good points but one thing that can work is the trend is semi-competitive RTR kits complete with radio. I have seen some kits for as little as $280 with everything except batteries. The proper marketing strategy will work. Baby steps here. Start with say a hundred RTR kits per store ranging from low-end $200 kits all the way up to 350 E-Maxx. Then all they need to carry to support it is chargers and batteries. Then just keep the RC magazines on display near the product and you have a great introduction to the hobby. The goal for the RC manufuacturers would be to come up with affordable RTR kits. Downgrade to bushings, use ABS plastic, where you can, use FM radios and standard servos. Then just have smaller numbers of the high end RTR kits. Hobby shops win here because people will still seek them out for parts if/when they need them. Over time demand will increase, prices will go down and as it does the major retailers will expand their inventory. Tower Hobbies can launch a chain of retail stores to compete in the market etc.

Hell this site can be advertised throughout the whole product display so people can come here and get quick answers to any issues they may have.

Again, I am really just scratching the surface here. Its all about marketing strategy. Its a very intricate thing. So many moving parts, but if they nail a good strategy and increase advertising revenue and start making TV spots, the popularity of the hobby will increase exponentially.

Last edited by TomBlaze; 04-02-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

I agree with the more affordable RTR kits but to appeal to the masses they need places to go out and run these things, i was suprised at the amount of tracks i used to go to when i was a kid that have fallen by the wayside, i myself have to drive to the two most popular tracks to practice as i have not brushed up my skills enough to race yet, and the Nitro craze is whats holding back 1/10 scale IMO, the two tracks i frequent are littered with 1/8 scale buggies and truggy's so much that sometimes i dont even want to run my trucks with my 8yr old, he loves the track but has the fear of getting in someones way and them getting mad but i guess i just need to tell him that everone has to start somewhere , i hope the electric will come back and be more competitive.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think there needs to be some hesitation when we talk about MAINSTREAM.

If we are talking about bringing the people back, Im all for it. This hobby has had its ups and downs. I think that has been a shift over the years. What was once a "Park and Club" type of sport, has slowly been replaced with corporate tracks with fees etc. Those tracks have slowly been replaced or gone out of business.

I also WHOLE-HEARTEDLY feel that people in this hobby have done it to themselves because they choose to buy parts online and not through the LHS. Many of those LHSs have disappeared because of that. The RC Hobby, is a VERY small niche. I've worked for 2 different HSs. One was very small and supported a small community. The prices were fair but due to its size, many things required Special Orders and deposits. The shop closed, partially due to a fall in business but also because the ower moved on to different things.

The 2nd LHS i worked for has a strong reputation and has been in business for over 30 years. Family run, they have the inventory and stock on hand and a knowledgeable staff. They have managed to survive where other LHSs have died. Another LHS actually had an on-site Track, but closed a year or so ago I think. It was THE spot for outdoor offroad racing and I remember before I got into RC going to watch people at the track. Its unfortunate but part of what happens in this industry.

I think to make this mainstream or at least get people back into the hobby, Demo days, racing in public areas, places where its likly to get attention from outside sources. Im working right now on setting up a Demo day for a different LHS to try and drumb up new interest and also to showcase a different element of RC (Drifting). Im trying to get involvement from some local clubs to draw some local racers and showcase some of the elements of RC. My HOPE is that we can attract new interest to the hobby.

I think people need to go out and form clubs, find places to set up tracks, talk to local parks/and rec to get areas set aside for a track and get more visual to the public.

MOmo
Old 04-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Unless you are going to have a guy back there explaining how to put new a-arms on these cars then I would not promote hobby grade cars through stores like best buy. Instead hobby shops need to make it their goal to make the largest local class the most afordable class as well. Also, it helps if you can sit your lhs next to a grocery store or something so that you can advertise by turning circle w/ a li//bl truck in the parking lot. When people show up to race & there is a 30 man field of cars that range in setup value from $250 to $600 & the fast guy is using a setup he picked up for $400 you will be able to draw new people into the hobby. The one car I really think can be the next t-max is the firestorm line because it is very track capable out of the box & it is dirt cheap. Hobby shops are going to make most of their money w/ spare parts, tires, oils, bearings, bodies, & ect. The faster cars go then the faster they go through parts & tires.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

You have some great ideas, but those have been done before. There is no reason to down grade anything or make them cheaper than they already are, that is what the Tyco cars are for.

Cheaper isnt better and I have the perfect example of that. GT bicycles are great bikes, they have been proven to be very competitave over the years and are regarded as one of the better bicycle companies out there. Several years ago they partnered up with wal-mart and sold a low line of bikes. What happened is they sold many low end bikes because of product identy. They ended up almost loosing there shirts because of product identy. The buyers of there higher end bikes $500- to $2,000+ stopped buying there bikes because they were identified with wal-mart.

I think your over looking a huge thing. The buggies and trucks are easily available to the customers already. Just go on line and type in RC, there are hundreds of good on line stores to shop and buy from.

Its getting the hobby to the people. Get the hobby to the people, get the people interested in the hobby and they will buy the products.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

It is all about having convenient tracks. Once there are enough tracks, people will come to the hobby. However, I do think this sport just doesn't lend itself to mainstream audiences.

First, it not really spectator friendly. The best we can hope for is getting increased participation, but I think having RC races on TV is probably pushing it. It will be at some point, but it really isn't a TV ready sport nor do I think it will ever be a big draw spectator wise.

However, I view the sport like video games. If you make it easy to participate, a lot of people will if they can have fun and enjoy themselves. The problem right now is that there is no easy way to get involved. Too few tracks and too high cost of entry.

People gravitate towards the 1/8 nitros because they are larger and more exciting. However, I think more people would get involved if they didn't have to deal with the nitro drawbacks. I think pushing the 1/8 electric and getting tracks in more areas is what will help the sport grow. We get the excitement of the 1/8 scale, attracts more grown ups with disposable cash, and the convenience of 1/10 electric with happy neighbors.

This ain't rocket science. If the manufacturers really want to see this sport grow, they should be pushing hard for 1/8 electric and getting tracks open all over major cities.

One thing I would love to see is a flagship store at a mall for a major brand show casing the cars. Or maybe a car specific hobby shop at a mall with an electric track. This kind of exposure gets people interested and is what keeps them coming back is the convenience.

While this company tends to promote the "toy" aspect of it by targeting kids, when I went to their store it had all kinds of spectators and people wanting to race the 1/18th cars.

www.racelinemotorworks.com. See the story on them at CNBC.

http://www.racelinemotorworks.com/video/cnbc_lo.wmv
Old 04-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
I think your over looking a huge thing. The buggies and trucks are easily available to the customers already. Just go on line and type in RC, there are hundreds of good on line stores to shop and buy from.

Its getting the hobby to the people. Get the hobby to the people, get the people interested in the hobby and they will buy the products.
Thats the whole problem is that the online deal has really wrecked the whole hobby shop experience imo, i like going to the lhs and browsing and seeing what is out there, dont get me wrong i buy stuff online but when you are getting kids into it they want to be a part of the experience not just seeing it online, my son is 8 i just bought him his first real deal truck a xxx-t rtr, i took him to Ultimate Hobbies in Orange, CA and to see his eyes light up when we walked in that store was cool, parents need to be more active to and participate with the kids as well to many parents don't get there kids into anything now besides sports.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

I love RC and I have never been to a track. I just go where there is dirt and some places to get air and get busy. Any park, your backyard, parking lot, in the woods on a camping trip....anywhere that looks like a fun place to go buck wild and break some shock towers .

Remember, the sport promotes the hobby, some hobbyists will get into formal racing, some club racing others may get into custom builds, others may get into track building but most will be backyard bashers like myself.

Also as the hobby grows, tracks will being to take root; formal racing tracks, local hobby shop tracks and community tracks.

Keep the ideas coming guys. Great insight here. Thanks for the replies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.