Wiki Posts
Search

Going Lipo. Few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default Going Lipo. Few questions.

I just picked up the Orion Carbon Charger. I've decided to go Lipo since it has the ability to charge them. Can someone give me a few pointers? I want to start with the RX pack due to weight savings. Eventually maybe TX a nd starter box as well. What would you recommend and where? Any info appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have:

ht starter box battery
team losi receiver battery

I have the Spektrum DX3R radio which only uses 4 batteries so I did not go to Lipo there.

I have the Hyperion charger. MY only beef with my set up is the Losi receiver pack has a unique balanced plug. They made their own style plug I guess to make you use their charger. So I cannot balance charge the Losi battery. Its only a 2 cell battery and the discharge rate is slow so I am sure its not a big deal not to balance charge the receiver battery.

If you go with Lipos my only advice would be to stick to only one brand of Lipos and make sure your charger can balance charge them all.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My advise is to shop around. I don' t mean for the best price. Try to buy all of your packs,charger,balancers from one manufacturer. All w/ the same charge leads, and balance ports. I have been very frustrated myself, there is quite a learning curve.

I first got a 4400 lipo pack from maxamps, it had hyperion ports??? so I got an Apache balancer also w/ hyperion ports. Then I got a 2S 2000MAH Lipo RX pack for my 1/8 scale from Protec(Amain's brand) , also purchased a Protec 4S 2100MAH lipo pack for my Mugen Starter box, also got a Balistic 3S 1200MAH Lipo for my M11, so I had to get a balancer: They all 3 have Align ports on them so I could not use my Apache balancer, So I purchased a Tower Hobbies brand balancer and the extra 2s,3s,4s Align leeds. $$$$$$$$ more Money.

It can be very overwelming. Now that I got it all straight it's all good. Always charge on the right 2,3,4,S settings and 1C and I think they are great investment.

Good luck Dan Reino
Old 03-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i run protek lipos and i balance/charge them with my thunderpower setup. all you need to do is call maxamps and get them to make you up some adapters with the correct plugs on each end! you can balance lipos with any balancer, pretty much. just get the correct adapters!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dubdeuce
MY only beef with my set up is the Losi receiver pack has a unique balanced plug. They made their own style plug I guess to make you use their charger. So I cannot balance charge the Losi battery.
You can solder on any balancing tab. Just cut the balancing wires and solder on a tab that works with your balancer.

Before buying a lipo, make sure it will fit in your radio box, especially if you run Losi 8ight or 8ight-T. You can make the Losi lipo fit, but you have to trim the foam underneath.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm running LiPo in everything but my starter box right now. Not a big deal for buggy but with truggy I've seen starter boxes bouncing down pit lane with the truggy on it while running. Just not enough weight to it.

I am using the King Power 2500mAh 3cell in my Futaba radio, an HT in my receiver, an Orion in my 2wd electric, and a Max Amps in my 4wd electric.

As was said, balance ports are easy. Don't worry about a balancing charger but do get a balancer. There are plenty of adapters to go from one to another. Get the battery that best suit's your needs.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i don't recommend soldering anything on a lipo! i've seen guys that have been using lipos for years screw up the balancing wire order! i have been using them for almost 4 years and i would NEVER try to rewire any part of a lipo!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i run li-po and li-fp on everything that requires batteries, except my glow heater... they are maintainence free, low self discharge, and last a long time if treated with care...

balancer strongly recommended... i make my own balancing cord... standardised all to jst type for convenience....

just be sure to run shottky diode on the starter box motor as running to motor without esc is equivilant to a short... li-pos don't like to be shorted...