Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skiddins

Measuring Droop and Ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Measuring Droop and Ride height?

What is the right way to measure your droop? I am using the SPEEDMIND gauges and droop blocks. Do you have to use the blocks or can you put it just flat on the chassis? I have read on some TC5 setups the DROOP was 2mm REAR and 1mm FRONT for carpet with rubber wheels.

When I was setting my droop I tried to do that and it isn't possible if I use the droop blocks. or is it? I used the blocks and I got it at 6REAR and 5FRONT. is this right?

I'm pretty sure I'm using my ride height gauge right but it would be really helpful is someone can give me a quick HOW-TO so I can do it right. What is also the right way to adjust it?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

The gauge will be intended to be used with the blocks, so it sounds like you are measuring right.

However the problem is that not everyone measures droop the same way or from the same point on the suspension, so double check what that 1/2mm measurement actually refers to.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Well there is a "downstop" and a "droop" setting. Associcated refers to the downstop setting as the droop setting.

Downstop is adjusted by using the blocks and droop gauge. Typically the setting is 4mm or 5mm initially. By this I mean during the build or first steps of the setup process.

Droop is properly adjusted using the droop screws (same as downstop screws) to adjust chassis lift measured from ride height. This is where you see Associated TC5 setup sheets listed at 1mm or so. Basically, after you set the ride height to your liking (4.5mm, etc.), then you adjust the droop adjustment to allow 1mm of chassis rise from ride height (tires mounted) before the tires just begin to lift off the surface/ground.

I was shown by McGoo to adjust your ride height using a combo droop/right height gauge as follows: (for this example we will use a 4.5mm ride height, with a 1mm desired droop)

1. Tires installed on car
2. Measure ride height, 4.5mm
3. Slide droop/ride height gauge under chassis to 5.5mm
4. Adjust droop screw to allow tires to just lift off surface/ground
5. Repeat for each corner of the car.
6. Done, droop now equals 1mm from ride height.

This is a pretty quick and easy adjustment. Doing it wrong or incorrectly can result in drastic changes to the handling of your car.

Last edited by kn7671; 09-27-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:02 AM
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For a quick look i just use my ride hight Gage, first ride hight and then holding the wheel so it cant lift up, i lift the shock tower till it stops and then keep pushing the gauger under the car...
so a 5mm ride hight lift weight, gauger goes to 7mm = 2mm droop..
But ive never used blocks, and have been told there more accurate.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So if I was to measure my droop first, should I measure it with the shocks on or off the arms so that all I adjust is the droop screw?

Then do I measure my ride height using my shocks attached to the arms, so then I can adjust my height with the shocks?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

How I do it....

The only reason there are bits not on the car is that I was still building it.

airbiscuit likes this.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Here is the link to Team XRAY's website where you can download good and useful information regarding setup, tweak, etc...

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...13&kategoria=0

I highly recommend the XRAY T2 Set-up Book. While some infomation applies only to XRAY cars, most is universal and can explain throughly how to walk through each step of setting up your car.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=2525