Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi XXX NT RTR or Associated GT2 RTR??? >

Losi XXX NT RTR or Associated GT2 RTR???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi XXX NT RTR or Associated GT2 RTR???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

so why do yall think 1/8 buggy is taking over by storm? 1/10 gas trucks dont have 2 speed trannys, but the gas buggies do, am i correct? do any aftermarket companies make clutches for either the XXX NT or GT2?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The 1/8th offroad race vehicles do not have 2 speed transmissions, but they are popular because they are a little bigger, accelerate MUCH quicker, are quite easy to drive relatively fast, and can take much more abuse than the 2wd Stadium trucks. I have sold my AD2 because gas truck died at my club track, but I have spent less on broken parts on my buggy, BUT overall more $$ per month on worn parts like clutch shoes, diff cases, diff and shock oils (use quite a bit more than the tiny stadium truck shocks). I have broken less than $20 worth of parts on my buggy since I bought it 7 months ago, HOWEVER I only race every 2 weeks, for the first 3 months it was driven almost every weekend. Still, I spend quite a bit more on parts for the buggy, especially since the engines I run are generally the most expensive. I replace the conrod after break-in ($50)... In reality, I have had much more fun driving the buggy as I am not as worried about tapping the pipes and breaking like I and others would with gas truck.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NJA82
Didnt Losi just win the recent Pro line Maxx challenge in 1/10 scale gas? Drake won by a fair bit apparently.
not taking away from your statement but with alot of these pro drivers you could put wheels and an engine on a trash can and they would still win the race..
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by looper
not taking away from your statement but with alot of these pro drivers you could put wheels and an engine on a trash can and they would still win the race..
that is very true, its mostly the driver not the truck. i dont know how many races i have won at our club track but just driving the truck around the track and not trying to go fast. i got some of my best lap times with a snapped turn buckle on the front. three wheels working and i go first, 15 seconds behind the track owner's losi 8. i gave him a hard time about that, he had a 4wd buggy, i had a 3 wheel jato.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by way2fast4u
i dont know how many races i have won at our club track by just driving the truck around the track and not trying to go fast.
Quoted for truth. "The slowest truck on the track will always beat the fastest truck on its roof". Better than half the battle is keeping the engine lit and the marshalls away. Do that and the rest is gravy

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
I have had much more fun driving the buggy as I am not as worried about tapping the pipes and breaking like I and others would with gas truck.
So instead of teaching yourself to drive better, you switched to a car that could crash better?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Just for the record the comment i made about Losi winning had nothing to do with the fact that adam drake was better than any of the other drivers, i agree they can drive anything fast and win but i was simply stating that Losi still race 1/10 gas and still compete at the highest level in that class so they do still support it.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

what about the Mugen MST1? that around? parts available? anyone race it?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
So instead of teaching yourself to drive better, you switched to a car that could crash better?
No....My club track is built for 1/8th truggy, and there are literally huge rocks sticking out of the track that will break the gas trucks just by driving over them, and the jumps break just about anything that is not built like a buggy. I bought gas truck to teach me how to drive, and I got pretty decent at it, but for me its much easier to fix the 8th scales than the smaller vehicles. I do not crash all too often, as I'd rather pull a slightly slower lap time than be on my lid for a couple seconds waiting for a turn marshal to see me.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So then drive around the rocks. Roll the big jumps.

Any track you can run a 1/8th Buggy or Truggy on, you can run Gas Truck. You just have to have some patience and self-control, and know what the truck can and can't do.

I go to nitro races and I see the bigblock classes hit these huge jumps, and they don't even bother to put any thought into it. They just stand on it and watch the car go shooting off in some random direction, come crashing down to earth, and just hope it lands on its wheels again and takes off. That's not racing, that's crashing. Repeatedly. And the way these things are built nowadays, they can take it. There isn't a whole lot of skill involved, just mash it and hope for the best. When I ran 1/8th Buggy I took my time and tried to keep the thing on all fours. I'd approach a jump I didn't feel comfortable taking full speed and landing properly, and at the same time get passed by someone who just went hell bent for election, cleared the whole thing, crash landed, bounced back up, and took off again about a mile ahead of me. I drove smart and still got beat. Gas Truck, you can't do that as much. You over-drive these things just a little bit, and you'll pay for it. Less throttle, more brains. That's what's fun about it
Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Mugen MST1? anyone? any thoughts?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Mugen MST-1 has poor parts support, and from reading about it, is weaker than the other top contenders.

OTE_TheMissle-hehe, ya drive around the rocks...they are everywhere, and some of the jumps here you cant roll, as you will flip then. I dunno how you would get passed by someone bombing the jumps, but if you drive like you say you were, then you should be out in the lead. Either way, gas truck is ALOT of fun, but some tracks (like mine) break just about everything that isn't 1/8th scale or larger. I could hold my own at Revelation when I had a gas truck, but when everyone drops the class to run the big guns, Ill switch too, as I only have fun when trying to get the lower lap times when there is a class to run with.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Going back to the original question between the GT2 and the XXX-NT, I am going to go with the RTR XXX-NT simply because it comes with a JR Digital Radio. The radio that comes with the GT2 RTR is a pile of SH*T!! IMO. The GT2 is a great truck, but the radio is worthless. If you are looking to buy a kit truck, the GT2 and the AD2 losi are very good choices and are capable of winning any race. However if you are stuck on getting a RTR kit, then go with the Losi XXX-NT. It has tons of power, very easy to start, and the radio is worth the extra cost.

Good luck on your new truck (whichever you decide)
Old 09-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

can anyone reccomend a store where i can get a XXX NT RTR for a good price?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Honestly your LHS if you can. Not only should you get parts from them, but they should be able to help you out better than we can as they have the potential to see the problem and help you fix it if you bring the truck in. Right there any extra cost is justified by buying at my LHS. Also, you may save a few $$ on the kit, but you must still pay for shipping if ordering online...