Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anyone know of a good traction compound that doesnt stink? >

Anyone know of a good traction compound that doesnt stink?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know of a good traction compound that doesnt stink?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

wow Reply After 6 years
That is the power of RCTECH
Old 09-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

lol so what's new in the traction compound business? I used goo gone, but not as good as I thought it was.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How can anyone not like the smell of paragon!?! It's wonderful.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Tech Initiate

We use Jack the Gripper at our local indoor carpet track. No funky smells.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JesseT
Thanks Trips. In my opinion Jack the Gripper still has some nasty fumes. One that doesn't have that much is the LRP's juice, but it lacks just a little of the byte and I haven't tested it with foams yet. It's OK with touring car tires.

LOL! Jack the Gripper doesn't smell or have nasty fumes at all! What are you doing? Jamming your nose in the can? That's the only way you'll any smell out of it.

My local track has been using Jack for years because all the other stuff was just too stinky. It also works extremely well.

I also like using Simple Green as a tire cleaner. It works awesome at removing build-up on tires. I've also tried WD40 and it works well too. Both of those products have smell, though.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This has all been gone over before, but Jack is probably as bad or worse than Paragon. I have heard guys have their hands go numb or clench up due to Jack the gripper, not to mention that the fumes do smell if you are close to the can or tires.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurboT
LOL! Jack the Gripper doesn't smell or have nasty fumes at all! What are you doing? Jamming your nose in the can? That's the only way you'll any smell out of it.

My local track has been using Jack for years because all the other stuff was just too stinky. It also works extremely well.

I also like using Simple Green as a tire cleaner. It works awesome at removing build-up on tires. I've also tried WD40 and it works well too. Both of those products have smell, though.
If you think JTG doesn't smell, walk into our track halfway through a DNO night or at the Cleveland warm up. the second you open the door you can smell it. the smell isn't overpowering like Paragon or TQO but it's definitely there.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, it has some scent, but not enough to give a headache!

As for the hands going numb, people should be washing their hands more often or start wearing nitrile gloves. Anyone who handles any solvent should know there's a danger in it. And traction compound is definitely a solvent. Prolonged exposure to any chemical can cause problems.

However, if you have sensitivities to it, you should be taking appropriate precautions, such as wearing gloves and going OUTSIDE ONCE IN AWHILE! I think that's one of the biggest errors RC guys make is that they don't take breaks from the pit space enough. I love working on my stuff but even I can't sit and stare at my car for extended periods of time. I get eye-strain from working on my car at times. Not to mention going buggy from being in the same place for 4 hours straight, during those bigger races!

Not bashing anyone, just pointing out that a little common sense goes a long way to prolonging health.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's hard to imagine that after al these years that people stil belive "if it doesn't stink, it ain'tt bad". We switched our track last year to Paragon because all the other compounds on the market just did't work with the newer rubber backed Calandra carpet, they actually attack the adehsives and destroy your carpet. We've used TQ Mod (orange stuff), Niftech and Jack the Gripper and they all left odors in the building. I've had more people in the last 4 months of last carpet season tell me that they were glad we switch to Paragon than I heard from racers that were offened by the odor. They never put 2 & 2 together until we stoped running these other "ODORLESS" compounds. Racers telling me that they were no longer getting sick the day after racing or leaving the track with bad headaches. I've had people tell me that JTG (Jack the Gripper) made them ill, sever headaches and nausea. I always said I'd never go to Paragon but the change hasn't affected the racer turnout, and it's brought consistant traction back. Not to mention that the rubber tire TC guys are running tires on Paragon that they said were junk on JTG. Just because it does't smell, it doesn't mean that it's not bad for you and the inverse is true as well. just because it has an odor doesn't mean it's going to be bad for you.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Jack the Gripper does have a scent to it. You would have to be face to face with it to smell it. Most likely the guy in the pits next to you won't even notice you have the cap off. As for the people that have it irritating their skin, they should do what I do. Apply it to the tires and not their hands. This method works everytime for me and the car grips way better. I know that they are aiming for more transmitter grip, but gloves work better.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, I race rubber tire on carpet and i really like TQ blue. The problem i am having is finding it. Our local hobby shop cant seem to find it anymore. Is there a place to order it or a shop that will ship it to me. Please let me know.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Traction compound with out the smell….

Well that is like drinking light beer or decaf coffee.

Hahaha
Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Tech Champion

Given that all compounds smelling of wintergreen are banned over here in the UK, even for outdoor meetings (IMO a good thing!) , and given that rubber tyre racing is the main type over here... good working oderless compounds are a must.

I've had pretty good success with the LRP compounds. Theres a carpet and asphalt versions, both coming in a tube with a foam applicator on the top, meaning no need to get compound on your hands.

The carpet version I believe is a water based compound, though could be wrong. But it does evaporate off the tyres, and has a low viscosity on application.
The asphalt version is similar to Tyre Tweak, in that it doesn't really get evaporate off, and requires wipping before use. Thicker on application too.

But the best thing? No smell from either....

I also regularly see Trinity Tyre Tweak, Hybrid Dip, and Fish (which comes in a similar way to the old Joel Johnson's S&M [cleaner and compound] and is ment to be very good... but bloody expensive at £10 a small bottle) around bits over here.

Regards
Ed
Old 09-18-2007, 01:19 AM
JJC
Tech Initiate

Anyone know how 'Jack The Gripper' compares with 'Carpet Jack'? This would be for rubbers on carpet, is there any difference in performance?
Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rotary Racer
Traction compound with out the smell….

Well that is like drinking light beer or decaf coffee.

Hahaha
LOL, i know..the best part about traction compound is the smell, i dont care if it works crap, i'll just smell it. The secret to racing fast is getting high off your tyre addative before the race, lol. I love Paragon FXII. Smells awesome and works like a charm

Regards, Ryan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.