Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 09-06-2007, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zipper
Dose anyone have a 27Mhz FM receiver that would like to sell?

Glenn
what brand?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Anyone have any experience with mini coopers on rubber sedan tires . . .asphalt or carpet . . . Our local track allows all the mini varieties to run together as an open calss, and theres a couple brushless lipo recoils I'd love to be able to beat.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Anyone have any experience with mini coopers on rubber sedan tires . . .asphalt or carpet . . . Our local track allows all the mini varieties to run together as an open calss, and theres a couple brushless lipo recoils I'd love to be able to beat.
Sorry Andrew a well setup brushless lipo Recoil is going to be hard to beat with a front wheel drive mini cooper. Running cut down foams on carpet might be as close as you will get.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Every week I race a Mini and a Recoil - different class's - and there's no way a Mini will keep up with my Recoil running a standard Sportwerks XLR8 motor, with 1400 cells, let alone brushless and Lipo. Once you start putting hot motors and high voltage cells through a Mini, terminal understeer and a complete lack of traction restricts the Mini. I'd love it to happen, running my Mini gives me the greatest pleasure, but I cant see it.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Sorry Andrew a well setup brushless lipo Recoil is going to be hard to beat with a front wheel drive mini cooper. Running cut down foams on carpet might be as close as you will get.
I didn't say teh recoil drivers were any good. Were actually pretty close in terms of lap times at the end of the race, its just that they have VERY inconsistant lap times. Im just looking for that edge to take my mini a few tenths faster per lap. Right now I have my mini really dialed within TCS rules, I'm just looking for some non-tcs legal changes that will get me more traction. I tried the sedan rubber tires and they were dialed on asphalt, so I thought I'd ask about anyone elses experience.
I have already upped the ante with a lipo, and I tried the cut down foams, but ti was too much traction, and with them cut down the roll out is less thatn the tamiya 60d tires (roughly 62 mm). Just looking for more : )
Old 09-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
what brand?
The TX is JR, but I think any brand should work.

Glenn
Old 09-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just looking for more : )
Black can...
Old 09-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Black can...
I second that. The black can motor makes my Mini even more crazy fun to drive. You won't beat the Recoils, but you'll have even more fun driving your Mini.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tony gray
Finally, it's here..

The TECH RACING DD-M Mini. Looks like a mini, but sure doesn't go like a Mini. Click here to read our full review on what might be the hottest Mini to hit the tracks for years.
Thanks for the review! I just have a couple of points on it. 1st off t-plate and floating rear suspensions on pan cars are completely different things. T-plate suspensions do not float, they flex. Floating rear suspensions are what you see on the old PB Sizzler and Lynx pan cars. The other is the rear diff...I find it unlikely they opted for no diff to increase traction. More likely they did it because it is a real pain to have a pan car style diff while using hex adapter style rims.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

any video yet on the tech racing DD-M?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ask and you shall receive..

Just took me a little while to get around to editing it. Check it out on youtube here.

Last edited by tony gray; 09-08-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tony gray
Ask and you shall receive..

Just took me a little while to get around to editing it. Check it out on youtube here.

Tony what tires do you run on the DDM?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Still experimenting at the moment. First up were Pit 20/36, then RP 24/30. Yesterday the car was generating so much lateral grip that the tyres were literally getting ripped off the rims.

So I'm considering going to the same compound all round (normally a no-no on what is essentially a 12th scale) to see if that balances it a little better.

But that's all part of the fun with a new car...
Old 09-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Hi everyone. I have just finished my second race with the M04L. Its a great little car, but it does have a few handling issues. I was hoping to get a little help with the setup. I run on a relatively high-grip indoor asphalt track (SoCal Raceway). Does anyone have some suggestions for a base-line setup? Right now the car is box stock except for ball bearings.

I was looking for parts and saw the 3Racing shocks on RCMart. I also see that they have shocks from Yeah Racing. Are either of these sets any good? What about tires? I have tried using S Grips on all 4 wheels as well as M on the front and S on the rear. Would slicks be a better option? I believe the touring cars at SoCal all run Sorex 36R. Is there a mini equivalent?

I am thinking that a ball diff might be in order as well. It seems to me that the more I reduce wheelspin, the less throttle-on oversteer I will get. Seem logical?

Anyway, any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks all!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Tony, what are the lap times compared to a M03?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.