Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magbarn
I recently got a MBX5R kit and I've been slowly been putting it together. Reading previous posts I built the diffs without the 3mm spider o-rings and dumped thick amounts of mobil 1 grease on the diff gaskets and 5mm orings. Diffs now feel smooth. However, when I install them in the diff case with the pinion gear, it's not so smooth. The manual doesn't call for any shims and the kit didn't seem to come with any so is it supposed to feel a little "gritty?" Also I ended up using red loctite on the set screws in the CV driveshafts did I screw up? Thanks in advance!
The kit does come with four 16mm shims. They are used on the outside of the diff bearings (between the 8x16mm bearing and diff case). They push the diff over to the left or right depending on if you use one or two shims. If you used one gasket, typically you will need one to three shims to push the conical gear away from the pinion gear. If you look in your bags of leftovers, you'll find the shims.

Best regards,
Old 06-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks Tony, I'll look for them tonight. BTW Was I right though leave out all the 3mm orings? I can't wait to run this baby out in Revelation. My truggy does well, but the speed that the buggies can make it through had me so jealous that I ordered the BMX5R outright. It edged out the Losi since I've gotten use to driving a heavy understeering, but predictable truggy and the Loose Losi might throw me through a curveball. Too bad you can't "test drive" RC cars.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey all, I'm running a MBX5 Prospec. What effect will it have if I use the 2mm offset wheel hexes? This will make the overall width 4mm wider........

thanks much

-
Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Initiate

"Hey all, I'm running a MBX5 Prospec. What effect will it have if I use the 2mm offset wheel hexes? This will make the overall width 4mm wider...."

Theoretically, it should make the car more stable, while slowing down the steering. I have ran the 2mm offset hexes on both my Prospec and 5R. To tell you the truth, I coundn't really notice a difference.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the reply.

RE: Fuel Tank for MBX5 - are you guys running stock tanks, or something a little bigger?

thanks

-
Old 06-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
The kit does come with four 16mm shims. They are used on the outside of the diff bearings (between the 8x16mm bearing and diff case). They push the diff over to the left or right depending on if you use one or two shims. If you used one gasket, typically you will need one to three shims to push the conical gear away from the pinion gear. If you look in your bags of leftovers, you'll find the shims.

Best regards,
Tony i have never used the shims in the last 3 years of running my prospec and never had any problems with diffs, is this ok or should i really be shimming them up, also how do you stop the rear end stepping out used to have it sorted but kinda lost my way somewhere, seems to do it more entering fast chicanes where direction change are required on the brakes or just after releasing the brakes, and on corner exit, this is for the X5 prospec not 5R

i will post a set up later once i have had a quick look at home whats where etc but general set up is

35/30 40/35 if very grippy
5/5/3
outer wishbone for shocks both ends
2nd hole out for towers both ends
castor is mid top, spacer at rear bottom, ackerman back hole
rear hub lower hole / upper outer tower inner mid hole

I race in the UK on mainly grass tracks but the grass is very short and broken up badly in places with a good spattering of ruts some deep, small jumps.

was wondering how thicker roll bars would change the car if i keep the lighter oil in, over this last weekend the grass was quite long and the car would pitch in try to roll lifting the inside and getting unsettled generally which would push a bit, would a thicker roll bar help here, have to admit to not being up to speed on roll bar tuning much.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

Are you looking to loosen up the rear end? Sounds like it may be grabbing real hard and then breaking loose. I've never ran on grass but I would imagine it being a real pain to setup if the grass is too high. I would play around with maybe 2K in the rear diff, but before you try that, you might try adjusting the wheelbase.

The thicker rear swaybar will decrease rear tracion and increase front traction. It'll increase on-power steering and increase steering repsonse in high speed chicanes.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking

Old 06-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

JUST GOT A NEW MBX5 BUGGY, AND WAS WONDER IF I CAN GET THE LIST OF MOST BROKEN PARTS?? WHAT SPARES ARE CRUCIAL??
Old 06-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Nothing crutial but Front arms and rear outer hingepins. They are a good idea but the X5 is pretty bomb proof you shouldn't break anything unless you are really hammering on it.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default mbx5 5R

All you guys in the USA seem to have the mbx5/5R sorted from what i have read so far, i live in N.Ireland and for the first time we have our own purpose built track that is mostly dirt,fairly bumpy and low on traction.I think most of us are glad to see it as we have always run on grass tracks and so we have a lot to learn about racing on dirt.I`m one of those guys that manages to hook or loop the mugen using 5/7/1 in the diffs when cornering , i thought that the 7/7/1 made a lot of difference but more than likely its only because im starting to get used to the track.Something i would like to know is how does the the 5/5/1 diff set up help when the track is bumpy/slippy, its something i can`t get my head around and any help would be appreciated.
Below is a picture of our track (runs clockwise), maybe someone could do a starting point set up from the picture.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

wow how big is that track? the pic makes it look very big. I have not really played with the center diff much. Havent really had the car long enough. I have had 5/7/3 and 4/7/2 and currently have 5/7/2. With my jammin buggy I did not like the 5/7/2 and always ran 5/5/1. the looping is it coming out of corner? middle or entry? I was having problems with the steering being to twitchy had alot of oversteer entering the corner causing the rear to get loose, although when onpower it was fine. that was with the 5/7/3. I made caster changes and front and rear diff oil changes and it was better.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:49 AM
Tech Master

That track sure does look HUGE!

I would run 5-7-2 in the diffs (no small S3 o-rings). The Scott Hughes 2006 Silver State setup I emailed you should be a good starting point. Since you are used to running on grass my thoughts are the biggest change will be tires. I would start with a ProLine M2 CrimeFighter (clip the outside pins at a 45* angle).
Old 06-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That is a very nice looking track.
Cheers
Old 06-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Ive been out of the game for a few months, and am going to be getting back into it. I ran the 8ight when it came out, and Im wondering how the 5R drives in comparrison.. I went through 5 servos in the 8ight, the first 2 I know for a fact were set up 'wrong', and the last 3 were set up by losi factory drivers.. I cant afford to keep replacing servos.

Its between the Jammin and the 5R, I know the top 4 cars are all great (Losi, Jammin, Mugen and Kyosho), but what stands out over the mugen, for people who have driven both. I do know I'll lose some acceleration vs the Losi.

I cant seem to be able to search within a thread (didnt we used to be able to?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.